Going to Canada to buy a used trailer and bring it back to the US. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2018, 06:28 PM   #21

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
It's not a DOT number. It's a sticker that the manufacturer, in my case, Bigfoot put on the trailer. It states weight, date of build, VIN, and should contain " this vehicle conforms to all applicable USA Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard on the date of manufacture shown above.". Mine is so badly weathered it is hard to read and impossible to photograph. The words "Motor Vehicle" are on the sticker that Bigfoot created, but obviously it is not a motorized vehicle.
Unfortunately the gentleman with the Oxygen took it in and had it repainted. While prepping for paint they removed all the stickers. None of them were salvaged.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:32 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
And this would be the sticker you need. See bottom of sticker.
Attached Thumbnails
Escape wt sticker.jpg  
Old 08-20-2018, 06:41 PM   #23

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Exactly.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:14 PM   #24

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
When I went to the DOT I asked about obtaining a sticker to get it into the US. Now I know a little more of what I'm talking about with the DOT. However there is no excuse for the answers I got from the young lady at customs.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:28 PM   #25

Name: Tom
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Missouri
I would suggest calling your department of revenue and the port of entry offices to be sure that you have everything that you need to transfer ownership and obtain your license. You will also need a bill of sale. It might be a good idea to have it notarized--we did. We were told that we needed proof of insurance but nobody asked for it. We used our passports to gain entry across the boarder. We got our license today and did not have any problems.

Tom
tburditt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:57 AM   #26

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
When I went to the DOT I asked about obtaining a sticker to get it into the US. Now I know a little more of what I'm talking about with the DOT. However there is no excuse for the answers I got from the young lady at customs.
The DOT does not issue the sticker. The manufacturer issues the sticker stating that the trailer they built meets all US requirements. Contacting the trailer builder and asking them if you can get a new or replacement sticker made to match your VIN might work. All the ones I have seen are a heavy foil sticker with the numbers embossed with some sort of typewriter like device. If you could get a blank sticker, a trophy shop could put the information on the replacement.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:53 PM   #27

Registry
After looking around I've found a few companies that specialize in remanufacturing the stickers. All I need to do is send them my trailer's vin# and other pertinent info from the sheet inside the cupboard and what the sticker is supposed to look like and they will make me one. I have contacted several Oxygen owners to please send me a pic of their sticker but haven't heard back from any of them yet. Lets hope this works.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:22 PM   #28

Registry
In case anyone else needs a new sticker here is one of the companies.

https://sticker.satu.site/trailer-vin-stickers/
Old 08-22-2018, 08:19 AM   #29

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Wow, this could really turn into a bag of worms. I meet a couple camping in Texas where we live and asked about there new Escape and how much trouble it was getting it across the border into the U. S. There answer was, Escape will bring it across the border for you and will have all the correct paper work for you to get it registered in the U. S. They did check with the State of Texas on what they would need for registration in Texas on buying a trailer out of the country. They said it was easy and had no problems, all went well for them. One thing I would also want to have is my insurance in place, if they bring it across the border for you them no need to worry about being out of the country and your insurance being enforce. Finding out all the answers first is defiantly the way to go.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:38 AM   #30

Registry
Update: Last Thursday afternoon I drove 12 hours from Eastern Washington up to Edmonton Alberta. I checked out the Oxygen, purchased it and promptly drove 12 hours back stopping only briefly outside Calgary for a cat nap. At the border I presented the bill of sale, the registration and the pictures of the manufacturers decal that another Oxygen owner was kind enough to send me. The pictures were absolutely critical and the customs agents used enormous discretion in approving my importation. In all honesty this could have gone the other way very easily. The picture that was sent to me showed the identical vin number as mine with the exception of mine being roughly 30 numbers lower. At the time I requested the pictures I didn't feel I needed the numbers however they provided a key piece of the puzzle to prove that they were from the same exact type of vehicle. Once that was established it made the label itself relevant and the key to the manufacturers label were these words in big beautiful letters "This vehicle conforms to all Canadian and US federal motor vehicle standards". Those words are the golden ticket. It helped that I had called this Customs office several times to ask for information and advice and explained my situation. A number of agents that I had talked with overheard my protestations/begging lol and came over to interject that yes indeed we had discussed this vehicle. In the end we were all able to put our heads together and come to a common sense conclusion. Now it seems I am the proud owner of only the 2nd Bonair Oxygen titled and registered in the US. YIPPPPPEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2018, 06:08 AM   #31

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'm so glad they were willing to work with you. It does confirm that the old information posted about importation and DOT certification is still relevant.

And it's always nice to have one more of these unique trailers on this side of the border.

Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:15 AM   #32

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I'm so glad they were willing to work with you. It does confirm that the old information posted about importation and DOT certification is still relevant.

And it's always nice to have one more of these unique trailers on this side of the border.

Not only relevant but in some agent's minds the only thing that matters. There was one young agent there who would not bend. Fortunately he was not the one who made the final determination. If government agencies would adopt a motto that I saw on a wall one time we would all be much happier. The motto: "Never say No when you can say YES"!
Old 08-25-2018, 10:28 AM   #33

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Good for you, how exciting. Show us some pics now please.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:42 AM   #34

Name: Sue
Trailer: Casita Patriot '13
Pennsylvania
Just fyi: I crossed the border at ontario 2 weeks ago and the u.s. customs agent asked for registrations on my tv and camper.

Since it's a u.s. reg, and we were there 6 days, she just waved us through.

Canada didn't care at all that I was bringing it in....
jazzjunkysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:59 AM   #35

Name: Carole
Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Montana
We did the same thing 2 yrs ago. I would advise you to visit the Wa. DMV. They can supply you with the appropriate paperwork. You’ll need a bill of sale, and probably need to have things notarized. Unlike the states, B.C. banks don’t have notaries. We had to make an appointment with one through a notary business. Everything else went smoothly. Good luck!!
carolerae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:04 AM   #36

Registry
Ok some quick pics of the Oxygen!
Attached Thumbnails
20180825_063051.jpg   20180825_063102.jpg  

20180825_063117.jpg   bed.jpg  

bathroom.jpg   dining table.jpg  

front.jpg   $_59.jpg  

Old 08-25-2018, 11:32 AM   #37

Name: Howard
Trailer: Oxygen
Washington
Oxygen Purchase

Steve,
We just got a posting on this. We purchased an Oxygen last year in Edmunton and brought it down to WA - congratulations on your purchase and getting it into WA state. If you haven't purchased a license plate yet for the year, you can get license tabs in WA that are permanent tabs, no need to renew each year. You can get the tabs for trailers that are used occasionally and if the weight of the trailer is under 2,000 lbs. All we had to show was a copy of the Bonair Oxygen trailer info sheet with the dry weight on it. We got a copy of the spec sheet off of this web site.
Howard V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 02:09 PM   #38

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard V View Post
Steve,
We just got a posting on this. We purchased an Oxygen last year in Edmunton and brought it down to WA - congratulations on your purchase and getting it into WA state. If you haven't purchased a license plate yet for the year, you can get license tabs in WA that are permanent tabs, no need to renew each year. You can get the tabs for trailers that are used occasionally and if the weight of the trailer is under 2,000 lbs. All we had to show was a copy of the Bonair Oxygen trailer info sheet with the dry weight on it. We got a copy of the spec sheet off of this web site.
Wow! Really Howard. Where are you located? I just got back from licensing and nobody asked me about a permanent license.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:48 PM   #39

Name: Howard
Trailer: Oxygen
Washington
License Tabs

Hi Steve,
We live in Lynden - just north of Bellingham. The DMV won't tell you about getting the permanent tab - my wife read the form when they sent us a renewal this year that we could get a permanent tab. We went to a local license agent (in grocery store) and asked about the permanent tab. All you need to prove the dry weight is to get a weight ticket from a public scale or the Bonair Oxygen specification info sheet. Since you just got a new tab - keep this in mind for next year. The Bonair spec sheet shows the dry weight at 1640 lbs.
Howard V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 03:38 PM   #40

Name: Mike
Trailer: !977 KingsleyGMC, 1968 Bailey Mikado
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Hi John, thanks for the info. Unfortunately the trailer I'm considering is newer than 25 years. I did read one article where the person transferred the title into their name, took the plates across the border, installed them, and simply drove back across the border with their new registration. I'm trying to talk the owner into delivering the trailer and then all we would have to do is change the title.

Just a word to the wise. I wouldn't arrive in Canada wearing a Red Hat if I were you. The Orange guy isn't all that popular !
panhead_mike is offline   Reply With Quote