Going to Canada to buy a used trailer and bring it back to the US. - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2018, 04:52 PM   #41

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_mike View Post
Just a word to the wise. I wouldn't arrive in Canada wearing a Red Hat if I were you. The Orange guy isn't all that popular !
LOL Definitely not a problem from my point of view.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:29 PM   #42

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard V View Post
Hi Steve,
We live in Lynden - just north of Bellingham. The DMV won't tell you about getting the permanent tab - my wife read the form when they sent us a renewal this year that we could get a permanent tab. We went to a local license agent (in grocery store) and asked about the permanent tab. All you need to prove the dry weight is to get a weight ticket from a public scale or the Bonair Oxygen specification info sheet. Since you just got a new tab - keep this in mind for next year. The Bonair spec sheet shows the dry weight at 1640 lbs.
Nice! I love it up there. I lived in Burlington in Skagit County for 3 years. My father was the army recruiter for Northwest Washington during the Vietnam war. My job each weekend was to wash the eggs off his military van.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:48 PM   #43

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_mike View Post
Just a word to the wise. I wouldn't arrive in Canada wearing a Red Hat if I were you. The Orange guy isn't all that popular !
Do they prefer the pointy pink ladies' hats?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:13 AM   #44

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
A few tips about travel to Canada :
If you ever have had a DWI/DUI (drunk driving) conviction in the
United States you will be denied entry into Canada.

Do not attempt to cross boarder with any firearm without first
getting a permit from Canadian authorities.

If you make any stops in the Montreal area DO NOT leave your
vehicle unattended as if it has license plates from any U.S. State
It will be vandalized. (French Quebec residents hate Americans).
A great number of my friends have fallen victim to their hatred.
All their car’s windows were smashed and anything of value stolen.

Please note: All this info applies only to the Canadian Province of Quebec ....the balance of the country was friendly to American Tourists.

The DWI and firearm restrictions apply nation wide.

Good Luck on your trip.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:45 AM   #45

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Rare trailer, worth the headache. Good luck!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:32 AM   #46

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Rare trailer, worth the headache. Good luck!
Rare indeed. Probably the only reason I went through the hassle that I did. I've looked on and off for a few years for a couple of different trailers on my rare list.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:06 PM   #47

Name: Vivi Kaye
Trailer: Trillium
North Carolina
We bought a 1976 Trillium in Ontario last year, and only got a bill of sale, no title. At the border at Niagara Falls, NY, the border agents had no idea what to do with us and after much discussion, they just let us go. You will need at least a passport card if you don't have the enhanced driver license.
Vivi Kaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:18 PM   #48

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivi Kaye View Post
We bought a 1976 Trillium in Ontario last year, and only got a bill of sale, no title. At the border at Niagara Falls, NY, the border agents had no idea what to do with us and after much discussion, they just let us go. You will need at least a passport card if you don't have the enhanced driver license.
I had the registration. I gave it to the one agent and he handed the paperwork to another agent but kept the registration with my license. The other agent said "we can't do anything without the registration, any moron could make up a bill of sale." I overheard that and noticed the first agent had the registration in his hand under my license. I yelled across the room that he had it in his hand which embarrassed him. I thought I was sunk at that point but it got through.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:36 AM   #49

Name: Vivi Kaye
Trailer: Trillium
North Carolina
Haha! My husband is Canadian so we cross over to Ontario often, and yes, some of them are drunk on their own power! We make a point of REALLY minding our P's and Q's, yes sir, no ma'am, etc...
Vivi Kaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:10 AM   #50

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
We just imported our Bigfoot 5er from Canada a couple months ago and it seems like folks here have you on track. One thing that was really helpful to me was talking to our local DMV. It took 3 phone calls and 2 in-person visits, but I got all the forms I needed and all the information I needed.

Of course, ours was just over that 25-year mark so we didn't need the DOT sticker. Like others have said, there is definitely a process you can go through. Another option would be hiring an Importer to do it all for you. We didn't do this, but it might be worth the fee to avoid any aggravation.

Someone mentioned the DUI/DWI convictions causing problems getting into Canada. We didn't have this problem but know of a friend who had alcohol-related charges that were dropped several years ago -- I think they were reduced to a wreckless driving charge but should have been removed from his record altogether -- and he was questioned for about 30 minutes when trying to get into Canada.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Old 08-28-2018, 07:26 PM   #51

Registry
"Now it seems I am the proud owner of only the 2nd Bonair Oxygen titled and registered in the US. YIPPPPPEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! "

Boy was I wrong with this statement. After doing a lot of research into what I want to do with the Oxygen I've been hearing from other people in the US with them and seeing more pictures of rigs back east and down South. No big deal I still love the trailer just not as rare as I thought.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:19 PM   #52

Name: Taras
Trailer: Currently shopping for Burro, scamp or casita
Colorado
Has this ever been resolved? Looking at getting a 98 Bigfoot from Canada.
Rushin is offline   Reply With Quote