Good deal for 1974 Hunter Compact Jr? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-25-2016, 02:20 PM   #1

Name: Kristen
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Good deal for 1974 Hunter Compact Jr?

Hi guys,

We're new to the forum and are looking to buy our first fiberglass trailer. We found a '74 Hunter Jr for $3,000 that seems to be in decent condition except:

- missing table and post
- some mold rot and water leakage near closet (but we are considering pulling out all old wood anyway and doing a partial remodel)
- tears in the pop up canvas (source of water leak)
- need to replace door

We looked underneath at the frame, but can someone let us know if this looks like the frame would need to be restored? Any other thoughts? What would you guys pay for this?
Attached Thumbnails
00Q0Q_atNzLbVw9y6_600x450.jpg   IMG_2408.jpg  

IMG_2412.jpg   IMG_2413 2.jpg  

KHeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 02:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Seems a bit high to me with the needed repairs. I don't consider the table to be a big deal but the mold and canvas are a concern. I can't really comment on the frame.

For comparison, I paid $3200 for my 1970 Campster in August. It is escentially the same trailer. The frame is clean, canvas is perfect, door is good, no repairs are needed. On mine, the propane has been removed and a solar panel added and the tongue was extended by 2 feet. I don't know the full history but I know it was garaged for the last 8 years.

There is another Campster for sale on the forum for even less than I paid. It's not in as good as shape as mine (I've seen it) but sounds better than this one.

So, while the comparison is not perfect, hopefully this gives you some thoughts for negotiations.

Good luck and have fun.

1970 Trails West Campster
2008 Honda Ridgeline
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 04:55 PM   #3

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
This one is a Hunter Compact II and not a Hunter Compact Jr. The Jr. has a pup-up top that extends the length of the trailer instead of the rear portion as in your picture. If the canvas needs to be replaced then I agree that $3,000 is a little high. But $2,500 might be reasonable. My Compact II didn't have a table either. I've come to appreciate the extra space however. I don't have any advice to give on the condition of the frame. I wonder if you could liberally apply a wire brush, treat it with something that helps remove some more of the surface rust, and then paint it?
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 09:48 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I agree with most of the other posts
W/ required repairs it maybe a bit high
I also agree is looks mostly like surface rust
I think you might get more responses if this was posted under the forum for mods or problems rather than under the money forum
Not sure if you can move it or if moderator needs to do that
Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:25 AM   #5

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Prices tend to be all over the place, from very cheap to what I'd call overpriced. With no blue book to go by, it's a guess. But if you search other similar trailers that are listed or have been sold and assume they sold for close to the list price, you can compare condition to price, and if this one is overpriced for the area, figure out what to offer- and show the seller your search results to justify your offer.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:16 AM   #6

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Compacts, the last 3 I've seen for sale were,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Prices tend to be all over the place, from very cheap to what I'd call overpriced. With no blue book to go by, it's a guess. But if you search other similar trailers that are listed or have been sold and assume they sold for close to the list price, you can compare condition to price, and if this one is overpriced for the area, figure out what to offer- and show the seller your search results to justify your offer.
: $2000, $2400, and $2600 as far as work needed none said anything.
When I'm checking frames on Toyota's I take a Philips Screw Driver with me or something pointed and sharp and see if it will push through the metal frame, flooring and if it does then you need to do some major work before towing it all over heck. Also ask when the Bearings were last greased and if not in the last year walk away from it.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:52 AM   #7

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I don't agree re bearings. When I bought mine I doubt they'd been done in years, as they were very worn, but I got them done and have had no problems (and have done them since though not annually.) Not being done recently may suggest lack of overall care but I don't think it needs to be a deal breaker. You'll frequently find these older trailers in as-is condition, having been used for hunting or occasional camping, not much done to them. It really comes down to what can easily be fixed, what you want to do, etc.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 08:41 PM   #8

Name: Kristen
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Thanks for the info

Thanks for all of the help guys! We decided with all of the upgrades we would want to do it was too much! Still on the hunt!
KHeard is offline   Reply With Quote