haggling when buying new fb rv? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-16-2010, 12:16 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
In your experience, is haggling effective when buying a new FB RV? I kind of like the process, and also I wondered if offering a cash deal would help (bird in the hand....)? Thanks for your help!
Cindy O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 12:33 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Having never bought direct from a "egg" manufacture, I would say no to haggling with a "egg" manufacture. They are in demand, they only make a few a year and only make as ordered. But that is only my opinion soooooooooooooo, maybe someone who has bought direct from will have a different answer.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Cindy O... I have not bought new/direct either but I always go on the premise that "You don't know if you don't ask"!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:05 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
"Clark Howard" on TV says you should haggle for everything.

With the economy as it is there is no better time to haggle. They may have to make a deal just to stay in business. Some of the deals may be that you add accessories at no extra charge.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:23 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Certainly wouldn't hurt to ask, but I'm thinking it's doubtful you'd have much success with any of the molded trailer manufacturers. They sell all they build and are right now months out in delivery to customers. It's not like mattress manufacturing where there's stacks of readily available inventory and you'll find another mattress retailer right down the street.

Stickies are a different story. Those are typically sold off retail lots and with the economy there's lots of inventory and I bet any of those would be willing to haggle.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
I'd say chances for haggling would be a little slim in prime camping season...
At the end of season, or in the dead of winter, I've seen "specials" posted.
Now isn't likely to be the time, with eggs, anyway. People wait months to get their ordered product., and during season, if someone has to cancel, there is usually a waiting line of people to catch an egg in time to camp.

Much more margin in stickies, and more layers of profit, in my opinion.

Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:48 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Since Casita doesnt finance, I d say that there is no chance to haggle. They expect that you pay for the camper when you pick it up. It is up to you to finance it if you have to.

Further, I could be wrong, but I think that the wait is pretty long right now, so they dont 'need' to cut the price to sell another one.

The big chance was last year, I think. They built a bunch 'on spec' and had a $500 discount if you bought one of those, as they built it.

Oliver, last I heard, has not restarted their factory, so no haggling there either!
genebland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:49 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
Cindy:

We bought our new Escape Trailer direct from Escape Trailer and did not haggle. I had analyzed the price of a similarly equipped trailer from another manufacturer (Scamp) and came to the conclusion that their pricing was fair. I believe they are a reputable manufacturer and don't play games -- for example pricing high so that there is room to haggle. In any of the dealings I had with them for the modifications we made I found they were honest and straightforward and gave good value for the money. As others have said, a custom trailer manufacturer is in a different position from a manufacturer building an inventory of units for sale.

Brian
Old 05-16-2010, 11:12 PM   #9

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
I have bought two new Casitas. Each time they gave me some deals.

The first one they paid 50% of the shipping to California. I compared Scamp and Casita (Escape was not in business yet) and discuss what I was offered. I also received a high-lift axle at the factory cost.

The second one I got, they gave me the $1,000 special, $100 finders fee and some minor mods I asked for.

The sales people need to keep their numbers up and so there is always room to discuss. Honey gets more flies then vinegar. Always be nice and make a friend when you talk to them. Find out where they have room to move and if it works to your benefit.

Good Luck.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:02 AM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
We bought out Scamp Deluxe 13' new in 2007. Haggling was not even a thought or possibility. Scamp is selling more units than they can make which has been the case for years. No reason/need for them to reduce any prices as if you don't want to pay full price, the next person in line will.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:40 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Red face

Order & bought our Scamp in 2005, I am sure I must have asked......I often do. But No. As for paying cash, they do not finance, so they in a way only get cash on each trailer sold. IMHO.

Never hurts to ask.

There were discounts in the brochures we had gotten when we called for info.
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:05 PM   #12

Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 Series (25C9.6E 'Yeti')
Send a message via Yahoo to Pat And Arleen
When we ordered our Scamps we got good deals, I think on the 16' we got about $700 off there sale price. And on the 19' we saved over $1500 off the sale price. (you have to ask) The sales people don't like it. The more they get from you the more they get to keep.
Pat And Arleen is offline   Reply With Quote