Has Anyone Rented Out Their Fiberglass RV? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #15
Name: Peter
Trailer: 1971 Amerigo
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Uhaul lost a ton of money renting, I was told. That is why they sold off the fleet.

I've heard that as well - but I wonder how much of it was the result of trying to run RV Rental with a U-Haul mindset. The people I've run into at U-Haul have been overworked and definitely wouldn't have had time to fully explain how to use the equipment in a camper.

Not saying the clientele wern't responsible as well. Look at what happened to Hertz when they rented Shelby Mustangs in the 60's!

I can see how renting motorhomes could be fraught with peril...way too many moving parts in that deal and I, too, have heard horror stories from people who bought a new rig and put it into the rental pool.

There are, though, numerous RV rental companies in Metro Denver...most have been around a long time. You can rent pop-ups from at least 4 different sources. They wouldn't be doing it if it was such a nightmare. I believe they've figured out how to do it right.

Peter_Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #16
Name: Toni Montana
Trailer: 1986 Bigfoot 17 ft ('The Sea Glass')
I guess I tend to hang around people who more or less treat their rentals with care (read older, responsible, want their big deposits back)....we are going to a Bluegrass/Jazz type of Festival (I suppose if it were the "Headbanger's Ball" or even "OZZYFEST" I wouldn't let my trailer out of my sight either!)

Anyway-if any of you hear of or see an egg for sale in the Mass./Conn./Vermont/Upstate NY area, could you please post it on this thread? Thanks! (I will try to figure out some way to make it up to you!)

Toni M T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:14 PM   #17
Trailer: U-Haul CT13
when is the festival?
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:40 PM   #18
Name: Toni Montana
Trailer: 1986 Bigfoot 17 ft ('The Sea Glass')
Around the July 4th Weekend (hence the concern that the few RV places in that area will have rented out their entire stock months ago). However, we have great friends who would probably pick up an egg for us (if we pay for it) in exchange for the use of it for the next couple of months....so if we find anything from now through then we will just work out a deal with them and grab it when we get there....everyone lives in the woods around there so storage wouldn't be a huge problem
Toni M T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:35 PM   #19
Name: Rick & Rei
Trailer: 1970 Campster
renting out my Casita

I would let my daughters and family borrow it-my son-in-laws take care of things and would take care of it.
I simply love my little camper too much to rent or lend it to anyone but my children.
Years ago we checked into renting a small camper. The price was so high-I asked why so much. The man said you wouldn`t believe how dirty and sometimes broken these campers are when returned.
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:47 PM   #20
Name: Scott
Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
many RV dealerships are now renting. I looked at a huge motorhome at a recent RV show that was available for rent at $1500 per week.
I would take all the insurance they offered and then some though.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #21
Trailer: U-Haul CT13
theres a lovebug in middletown RI for $2000......it was there this winter and when I talked to the guy he said he wouldnt budge cuz he'd seen sites like this etc and knew their worth .
That said I never seen the inside of it so I dont know what it may need...he said its good and he uses it for powwows(he's indian and sells belts I think).
If i'm over there soon ill take a closer look if yould like......Bruce
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:47 PM   #22
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Exclamation Liability coverage ONLY!

Originally Posted by Bruce Thomas View Post
I'd guess most peoples car owners insurance would cover it long as its attached to the tow vehicle?
The TRAILER would not be covered under car's Comprehensive or Collision portion of the policy, unless the car owner specifically bought that kind of insurance to cover a specific trailer(s).

The TRAILER would be covered only for Liability, which means that when passing another car and the driver overestimates how far ahead (s)he is when returning to the right lane, and sideswipes the passed car with the Trailer; then the driver's insurance would pay the claim for the passed car, but NOT for the trailer itself.

This is all the Insurance I carry. If MY trailer were damaged in a collision, I would bear the cost of repair or replacement all by myself. This is called "Self Insuring".
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:01 AM   #23
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
My trailer is my home for 3 to 4 months a year. During those 3 to 4 months I don't rent out my anchored house. I guess I'm as possessive of my traveling home as my anchored home.
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:57 AM   #24
Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13' Deluxe Remodeled
I had rental property years ago. NO WAY would I ever rent out our camper or house to anyone.

When my husband switched jobs, we had to buy this house up north. Everyone wanted to know if we would rent out our house in the country in Central MN. It has been empty for over 3 years, and it can stay that way until we retire and move back down there. We have been lucky with no break in's as family lives near by.

You have good and bad renters just like with everything else. I feel if they want to rent a camper, they can go to a dealer, and pay the price.

Mary Ann in MN is offline   Reply With Quote