Has Anyone Rented Out Their Fiberglass RV? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-30-2011, 10:46 AM   #1

Trailer: 1986 Bigfoot 17 ft ('The Sea Glass')
Has Anyone Rented Out Their Fiberglass RV?

We are going to the East Coast this summer and since we live on the West Coast it would take too much time (and expensive gas) to drive our trailer across the country, even though it would be extremely convenient to have it. We are going to a music festival for 4 days (one with no hotels nearby) and later staying with friends and family members who have rather small houses (it would be so convenient to just park in their driveways and plug in the trailer during the visit!) We thought about renting an RV, but they don't seem easy to come by on the East Coast (there are RV rentals all over out here in California so we were surprized) Another consideration with the RV is its gas guzzling ways (my parents pay 50 cents a mile in their 35 footer in Arizona, which has cheaper gas than here) and we would also probably have to rent a car to tow behind it for day excursions....complicated!

I was wondering if any of you on the East Coast have ever rented out your trailer (and what kind of insurance that would take). I am also interested if anyone has ever participated in a "trailer swap" (I know people do that with their houses sometimes). Another thing I was considering was to buy an inexpensive stick built or Fiberglass RV off Craigslist through a friend or relative, and maybe sell it after the trip (sometimes those RV rentals cost as much as buying an older trailer!). Does anyone have any thoughts about this?
Toni M T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Toni M T...'' You have to be kidding''. My brother put his 40' MoHo. on the rental mkt. to help pay for it. It cost more to fix it up after the rentals than he made!!!
ALF S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
MN rental 1989Scamp/rental
Atlanta Teardrop, Scamp, & A-Liner for Rent
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Toni, looks like Kevin may have found something for you. It certainly doesn't hurt to ask nearly any question here on FiberglassRV... especially about our trailers. However a good percentage won't even let a family member borrow their beloved eggs let alone rent it out. But, nothing is impossible... perhaps some person will answer up!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:29 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
I would definately feel more comfortable renting to a member here on FGRV than a total stranger for sure. Much more comfortable than a family member even. Maybe you could post a "wanted" on Craigs'list (for any kind of RV) in the town you need it in and see if anybody answers. Here in FL I run across RV's for rent occasionally on Craigslist.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:29 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy Not a popular idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
However a good percentage won't even let a family member borrow their beloved eggs let alone rent it out.
Here is a link to an earlier discussion on this topic that Donna may be referring to:
Would you loan out your egg?
Old 04-30-2011, 08:52 PM   #7

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1971 Amerigo
Colorado
I'll be offering campers for rent this season.
I have one Boler 13 pretty much ready to go, another Boler 13 that should be ready by Memorial Day and the Amerigo 16 which should be ready by mid June.
Peter_Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:25 AM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
where's the music festival and when?
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:35 AM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I own my UHaul VT, because Uhaul tried renting their campers. I have heard horror stories of the time they did it and the state that they were returned in.

Not even my children. They can come with us, not without us.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:18 AM   #10

Registry
I think I'd rent mine to a member of this sight thats not new and in good standing generally.
I'd guess most peoples car owners insurance would cover it long as its attached to the tow vehicle?
In a campground and a tree smashes it or it burns to the ground...I dont know?
Noone is that easy or takes care of a uhaull truck or trailer really...makes one wonder why they were so quick to get away from renting the campers....musta been bad all around.
Bruce
Old 05-01-2011, 10:06 AM   #11

Colorado
I've spoken with a number of small rental operators around the country. By and large they don't have problems other than:

Awnings: The consensus is remove them, they just spoil the customers otherwise good experience when they inevitably get damaged and cost the camper a lot to replace.

Irresponsibility: renting to people under the age of about 25. Apparently the younger demo thinks nothing of returning a camper in deplorable condition...denying responsibility...and demanding their deposit be returned in full. Go figure.

As for insurance there are providers who specialize in coverage for RV rental.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:15 AM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Thomas View Post
I'd guess most peoples car owners insurance would cover it long as its attached to the tow vehicle?
Would suggest it would be best to check this out with your insurance company. On another thread it has become clear that whether or not the tow vehicles insurance actually covers the trailer is different from state/country and insurance company. Even if it is normally covered it may not be if it is being rented out.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:48 AM   #13

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Uhaul lost a ton of money renting, I was told. That is why they sold off the fleet.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:45 AM   #14

The Music Festival is in Central New York (Watkins Glen) at a race track. Our friends and relatives mostly live in the Berkshires (around Stockbridge, Mass.). I think I would rather buy a cheap trailer than rent one out - the RV rental is over $2,000 which might buy something older in this recession. That $1,000 Scamp in Maine would have been just the thing! I think I worry more about being responsible for someone else's Egg than I would be loaning mine out (although I definitely have a short list of people I would loan it to!)
Old 05-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #15

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Uhaul lost a ton of money renting, I was told. That is why they sold off the fleet.

CindyL
I've heard that as well - but I wonder how much of it was the result of trying to run RV Rental with a U-Haul mindset. The people I've run into at U-Haul have been overworked and definitely wouldn't have had time to fully explain how to use the equipment in a camper.

Not saying the clientele wern't responsible as well. Look at what happened to Hertz when they rented Shelby Mustangs in the 60's!

I can see how renting motorhomes could be fraught with peril...way too many moving parts in that deal and I, too, have heard horror stories from people who bought a new rig and put it into the rental pool.

There are, though, numerous RV rental companies in Metro Denver...most have been around a long time. You can rent pop-ups from at least 4 different sources. They wouldn't be doing it if it was such a nightmare. I believe they've figured out how to do it right.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #16

I guess I tend to hang around people who more or less treat their rentals with care (read older, responsible, want their big deposits back)....we are going to a Bluegrass/Jazz type of Festival (I suppose if it were the "Headbanger's Ball" or even "OZZYFEST" I wouldn't let my trailer out of my sight either!)

Anyway-if any of you hear of or see an egg for sale in the Mass./Conn./Vermont/Upstate NY area, could you please post it on this thread? Thanks! (I will try to figure out some way to make it up to you!)
Old 05-01-2011, 02:14 PM   #17

Registry
when is the festival?
Old 05-01-2011, 03:40 PM   #18

Around the July 4th Weekend (hence the concern that the few RV places in that area will have rented out their entire stock months ago). However, we have great friends who would probably pick up an egg for us (if we pay for it) in exchange for the use of it for the next couple of months....so if we find anything from now through then we will just work out a deal with them and grab it when we get there....everyone lives in the woods around there so storage wouldn't be a huge problem
Old 05-01-2011, 07:35 PM   #19

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
renting out my Casita

I would let my daughters and family borrow it-my son-in-laws take care of things and would take care of it.
I simply love my little camper too much to rent or lend it to anyone but my children.
Years ago we checked into renting a small camper. The price was so high-I asked why so much. The man said you wouldn`t believe how dirty and sometimes broken these campers are when returned.
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:47 PM   #20

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
many RV dealerships are now renting. I looked at a huge motorhome at a recent RV show that was available for rent at $1500 per week.
I would take all the insurance they offered and then some though.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote