Has anyone titled a Burro as "homemade" in the state of Illinois? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-07-2015, 04:28 PM   #1

Name: Meaghan
Trailer: 1986 Burro (17' wide body)
Illinois
Has anyone titled a Burro as "homemade" in the state of Illinois?

Hey all! I'm in a bit of a pickle in getting a title/registration on my recent Burro purchase. I stupidly did not do my due diligence (please no lectures, I realize my error) and it turns out that my Burro has a salvage title.

In Illinois, a vehicle title can be cleared if repairs are done by a licensed rebuilder and then it passes two inspections. The problems is that the previous owner (he purchased it at auction) did the repairs himself about a decade ago. (There was a tire blowout that damaged the rear fender.) He never cleared the title because in Wisconsin you don't have to get plates on trailers under 3000lbs. Because repairs were already made, I can't find a licensed rebuilder to help me through the process because there is no "rebuilding" to be done, and they won't accept the liability for someone else's repairs.

Someone suggested that I try getting a homemade title, and with the history of the Burro kits I'm thinking I might be able to go this route. The Illinois DMV website says I have to 4 photos of the trailer, but it doesn't say anything about photos of the build or receipts for materials. My only concern is that I'd have to remove the VIN (if it's still visible on the tongue - I haven't gone hunting for it yet).

Does anyone have any advice or experience with this? If I need other documentation of the buildling process, I wonder if photos of the gutted interior, etc. would suffice?

I have a perfectly good roadworthy trailer and there's no safety reason that it shouldn't be out on the road and I'm incredibly frustrated with the bureaucracy of this state right now.

Alternately, anyone in another state where clearing a title is easier want to buy a Burro and sell it back to me?
mmzeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
What about applying for a title to an abandon vehicle. Here in our state it can be done however a notice has to be placed in the local newspaper for a certain length of time, etc. Check with your DMV.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:19 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Why not just title it as salvage and explain to any future buyers the circumstances and nature of the damage, That's a lot better than getting problems attempting to falsify a title.

It's almost 20 years old and you sell based on condition, not what's on a piece of paper. In todays market a clear title is a lot better than something that can be questioned with "Home made" or similar on it. If someone doesn't like the salvage title today, tomorrows buyer will be happy with it.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:23 PM   #4

Illinois
I don't want to title it as salvage and sell it. I want to register it and get plates and use it!

I hadn't thought about the abandoned title angle. I will look into that one as well.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:27 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Meaghan; sent you a PM (private message)
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:39 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
If you have family or friends in Michigan? Let them title it and sell it back.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:40 PM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Salvage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmzeiner View Post
I don't want to title it as salvage and sell it. I want to register it and get plates and use it!

I hadn't thought about the abandoned title angle. I will look into that one as well.

Then why can't you just title & register it with a salvage title. That's common in California and most (?) other states.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:02 PM   #8

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Then why can't you just title & register it with a salvage title. That's common in California and most (?) other states.
It's apparently a big No-No in Illinois. When I first appeared in the DMV with the salvage title to do exactly that (this was my stupidity - I thought it would be no big deal) it was as though I'd appeared in their lobby with visible signs of Ebola and they didn't even want to touch my paperwork! I was given the phone number for the Secretary of State Police to find out the correct procedure, which is this licensed rebuilder/2 inspection nonsense.

BUT, it just occurred to me that I have family in Wisconsin and I could maybe see if they would title it there where the salvage title process is less rigid. I'm not close to them (that's probably why I didn't think of it until now!) but I think it will be a good starting place.

Thank you mszabo, for making me think of that!
Old 04-07-2015, 08:02 PM   #9

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
If you only need registration and plates, check the requirements for the state of Maine. They will allow nonresidents to register a travel trailer. You will receive paperwork and plates but no title on trailers older than 15 years.

http://haskellregistration.com/wordpress/
Old 04-08-2015, 04:23 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Register Your Salvage Vehicle Title. - OH YES! Finally You Can Start the Registration Process Today.. : Register Your Salvage Vehicle Title.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro, title