Help locate the VIN on my Burro - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2014, 08:39 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Burro, HELIO
Washington
Registry
Help locate the VIN on my Burro

I recently bought a 1976 Burro and the DMV is wanting to know the location of the VIN. They say it's typically on the frame somewhere.
Does anyone know where the VIN is located on these models?

Thank you!
John Colangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:53 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
It should be stamped into the tongue of the trailer someplace.

here is an old thread by other Burro owners which may help you VIN on 81 Burro
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:21 PM   #3

Washington
Registry
Thank you!!!!
I'll check tonight and post what I find.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

John
Old 08-22-2014, 07:03 AM   #4

Washington
Registry
VIN on Burro and Burro Decals

Well, I have looked high and low with a magnifying lens and with a flashlight and I cannot locate the VIN anywhere on the tongue, the frame, or the coach. I did however, locate a company on line who will create a legal VIN plate on embossed metal that you can attach to the frame. You are required to have the title and a bill of sale before they will manufacture one. I have all the paperwork so instead of hunting all over the frame I am going to have one made and attached to the frame so it's there for future purposes. It's legal in all states providing you have the paperwork for the sale and providing you do not destroy or alter an existing VIN and replace it with a different VIN. In my case, I have no VIN and I do have the necessary paperwork so the company will manufacture a plate for me! More than one way to skin a cat!
BTW- if anyone needs BURRO decals for you coach you can save a high quality image from GOOGLE and send it to VISTAPRINT on line and order any type of signage, bumper sticker, or emblem from them!
Old 08-22-2014, 07:19 AM   #5

Washington
Registry
Here is the URL for the company I am getting to create a new VIN plate for me. Not a solution for everyone but if you have a BURRO and you cannot locate the VIN anywhere and you do HAVE the paperwork and the title, this is an option. THIS IS NOT AN OPTION FOR STOLEN TRAILERS OR FOR THIEVES! The company will not manufacture them without your paperwork.

Quote Form | Machine Plates Online
Old 08-22-2014, 07:23 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
OR, you could just make it yourself.

This is only to be used for those that have the actual VIN and can't find it or only a partial. Buy one of these, stamp it with Harbor Freight's tools, scuff it up and then affix it to the frame somewhere: https://www.koolrides.com/catalog/pr...3bf3dc18956754 No one would know it's not original. But please remember, honesty counts! And I think $6 is cheap compared to the aggravation of dealing with....
Attached Images

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:57 PM   #7

Washington
Registry
Thank you! Great idea !

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

John
Old 08-29-2014, 02:19 PM   #8

Washington
Registry
They say RVs were not required to have VINs until the late 80's

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

John
Old 08-30-2014, 07:52 AM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
"They" is wrong.

Is it possible your Burro was made from a kit? Burro did sell the kit for owners that wished to build their own. However, I THOUGHT the main body was already bolted to the Burro-supplied frame...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:49 PM   #10

Name: Anne
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I was the OP in that old thread about the 1981 Burro. Thought you might like the REST of the story.
I never found a VIN on that trailer, probably because the welding and/or extensive rust on the frame had obliterated it. Indiana BMV said make an appt with the stolen vehicle inspector , tow it downtown to have home inspect it (only available once a month and inspection about $200 if I remember), then pay certified agency to make a metal VIN plate that I could pay them to attach. After that, come back to BMV and go thru registration. I tried to call stolen vehicles to set up appt and he acted like he had never heard of process and would have to get back to me.
In frustration, I got the harbor freight stamp set, stamped the number on the frame, and took it to a different BMV office. I was fully prepared to explain what I had done and why. But the girl and the counter looked at my paperwork and issued me a new title and license with no questions! There was no inspection required at AZ BMV when I moved there and transferred plates, nor when I sold it there and transferred title.
But, once bitten twice shy. I asked the owner of the Compact that I just bought to verify the VIN plate before I went to AZ to view it. She took a picture, but then compared with the title and found one numeral to be different! She quickly had the matter rectified at the local BMV office, otherwise I would have been in the same situation as CA DMV inspected the VIN plate and would have held up the registration.
As it was, it took me an extra half hour of patient but firm persistence to make them give me a permanent trailer license as one woman insisted if it had a toilet it didn't qualify! Finally the supervisor was called and corrected the error. It made the initial registration $75 cheaper and saved me hundreds in future renewal fees!
Fire-N-Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:03 AM   #11

Name: Eric and Sharon
Trailer: Burro
Ohio
Registry
I had the same problem finding a vin # on my 1975 Burro. I finally found my vin at the trophy shop and glued it to the inside of the sink overhead cabinet. BMV said that is one of the 4 places I could find it. In OH we have a car dealership confirm the #. Abra cadabra!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Eric Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro, vin