Help me, first time trailer buyer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #1

Name: parts
Trailer: In the market
California
Help me, first time trailer buyer

Okay, just got a line on a trillium nearby and will go check it out in a few hours but i have never bought a trailer before. I need help with the process and tips on how not to get scammed. I spoke with the daughter which told me it is her parents trailer which they bought new. She stated that the trailer has a pti registration, is that good or bad? What paper work should i expect and anything else i should be aware of?

Been looking for a long time, still not exactly what i want but im tired of waiting. Help me buy this trailer safely. Thanks
partsbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #2

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
buying trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsbin View Post
Okay, just got a line on a trillium nearby and will go check it out in a few hours but i have never bought a trailer before. I need help with the process and tips on how not to get scammed. I spoke with the daughter which told me it is her parents trailer which they bought new. She stated that the trailer has a pti registration, is that good or bad? What paper work should i expect and anything else i should be aware of?

Been looking for a long time, still not exactly what i want but im tired of waiting. Help me buy this trailer safely. Thanks
You will need a title and a bill of sale.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
  1. Click on this link to "The Buyer's Checklist"
    Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Buyers Check List
    Download it and print it out.
  2. PTI registration in California is a good thing. Make sure the PTI document has the current seller's name on it. If the seller does not have a title, ask for one when you re-register it in your name. I recommend using AAA services instead of going to the DMV.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #4

Name: Richard
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
Also, if you know someone who has an RV of any kind, it might help to bring them along as they may more readily spot both the pluses and minuses.

Rick
kb1flr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
If you post pictures, before you purchase, I will provide any insight I can.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Read through the SCAM Alerts at Fiberglass-rv-4sale and you will see the patterns of how most of these SCAMS work so that you'll recognize them.

Some helpful buying tips posted here as well.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:41 AM   #7

Name: parts
Trailer: In the market
California
Drove over 100 miles excited the whole way as the voice on the phone sounded truthful. First of all the ad said it was a 1978, got there and the trailer said 1976. Second, the folks upped the price on me to 4200. Third, a trailer is not ready to camp if even the 'owners' were not able to show me one thing that worked. Oh, actually there were no leaks so the windows worked. Forth, clean became a relative word.

Thank you for the advice everyone, still have my cash. Looks like i have a long road ahead of me if this is normal.
partsbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:56 AM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Look at it this way, you now have a good start in your FGRV education.
FWIW:
1. 76 or 78 is a wash, FGRV's, for the most part aren't that year sensitive. it's all about condition, condition and condition.
2. They probably raised the price because they were getting so many unexpected calls.
3. Next time, before going, be sure to ask if the appliances can all be demonstrated and ask to have the refrigerator turned on at least 4 hours before you get there.
4. Leaks usually occur around the window frame edges and at other openings, such as roof hatches and where pipes might go through the hull.
5. In CA, a PTI trailer may have only a virtual (?) title. If they don't have a paper title (you have to ask for it when you get PTI plates) and the registration is not in the sellers name, walk away.

And YES you may have to kiss a look of frogs before you find your prince of an FGRV.

Here in CA, good FGRV's, and/or under-priced FGRV's, sell in a NY minute. If it's still for sale after 3-4 days, it's usually neither.

When looking, I check Craigs list, findanyrv.com and fiberglass-rv-4sale.com 3-4 times a day.

Good Luck

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:45 PM   #9

Name: Michelle
Trailer: Scamp
Arizona
I'm a newbie too and considering driving out of state to look at a trailer soon. How can I purchase and drive it back to Arizona? I will need the title to get license plates, right? Or does the seller give me his/her plates? I have no idea how it works. Thank you for any advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
shechelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:58 PM   #10

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by shechelle View Post
I'm a newbie too and considering driving out of state to look at a trailer soon. How can I purchase and drive it back to Arizona? I will need the title to get license plates, right? Or does the seller give me his/her plates? I have no idea how it works. Thank you for any advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
get the vin number, and a travel permit/temporary plate from DMV.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:02 AM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by shechelle View Post
If your buying in Calif the plates stay with the vehicle unless they are personal plates which stay with the owner. Get a bill of sale, signed pink slip (title), the vin # matches the pink and you're go to go. Probably a lot of other states work it the same on an owner transfer. Your auto insurance should automatically cover the trailer while it is hitched up to your tug. One thing more, if you should buy something with a personal plate, I would see if the seller would let me use it for my return trip and mail it back to them. Sure would be better than dealing with the DMV for a temp tag. It is still registered to them until you go through your own DMV. Good luck to you.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:07 AM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Piggyback Post

The original poster posted in 2013.

The piggyback post was posted yesterday.

Only answer post #12 and later.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:34 AM   #13

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
The original poster posted in 2013.

The piggyback post was posted yesterday.

Only answer post #12 and later.
Piggybacked at post #9 from a new member Roger, takes a bit of time to learn how the site works
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 06:55 AM   #14

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
When I sold my Scamp (Minesota title and plates) to a man from Wisconsin ,we went to the DMV in Wisconsin and transferred the title on the day of sale. That way there is no questions or problems popping up at some later date.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:07 AM   #15

Arizona
I realize this was an old post, just trying to search for the answer on here if it already existed before cluttering up with new posts. Thanks for all of the help! Trying to buy a new car this week that will tow way over the limit of the trailer (thanks trailer limit threads).
Old 03-14-2015, 09:24 AM   #16

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Actually, it's better for you if you start a new thread.
It reduces confusion from earlier posts and, more important, apparently only NEW threads are listed in the daily summary listing that goes out to many list members, and that is all they may see on a daily basis. They may be the very peeps that have lost interest and/or want to sell their rigs.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:43 AM   #17

Arizona
Ok sounds good. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:40 AM   #18

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry