Honda Generator Promotion - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-23-2014, 08:38 AM   #21

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave7F View Post
Running the generators in parallel is interesting. I would be curious to know how they deal with keeping the inverters "phase synced".

Using a motor to drive an alternator, to feed 12v power to an inverter, to produce 110 A.C., that then goes into a battery charger, to feed 12v to batteries, just sounds like it would have a lot of conversion losses. I can see this being quite impractical to charge batteries. Too bad these type of "gensets" don't have a feed straight off the alternator to charge 12V batteries.
David,
I don't know how they keep the phases matched and in sync, but voltage comes out the end of the wires so they must be in phase.

Charging the battery using a generator is not really too bad efficiency-wise, but it just takes time to top off a battery when getting to that last 5-10%. If you are listening to a generator do that job it gets tiring for those few hours. Even a perfectly designed 4 stage smart charger takes time, so if you have sunlight solar is the way to go, not a gen set. The gen set should be used like a back up system for dark days or when you really need a frozen margarita.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:10 PM   #22

Name: David
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Washington
Russ:

In looking at the EU2000i again, it does look like the 12V port is actually designed to charge 12v batteries. That is a nice feature that I overlooked. However, it looks as if it will be an 8 amp constant current charge before the voltage regulator kicks in and starts into the "topping" charge phase. No indication was given about a float stage, so I assume you are expected to simply disconnect the battery at full charge.

By comparison, a good battery charger running off the more than ample current of the inverter will be able to deliver a higher than 8A constant current charge phase (12A is typical) thus reducing the charge time by a few hours. These chargers also provide a float phase after the battery is charged so disconnecting the fully charged battery in a timely manner is not as necessary. This method will provide the quickest charge without a doubt.

Unfortunately, due the nature of charging lead-acid batteries, you can't really speed up that last 30% or so of the charge (the topping phase) beyond the needed 7-10 hours without damaging the battery. That is a long, noisy run of the generator.

Also, you will get no argument from me about solar. I love it. I used it on my home (electric and hot water) and vehicles (battery charging and maintenance) in Arizona. Now I live in rainy, cloudy western Washington -- sigh. Maybe wood-fired steam turbine...? LOL.
Dave7F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:42 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I ran my Honda 1000 for about an hour and a half ( park allowed a two hour window in the morning and late afternoon ) to try to top up my 12V Group 27. It never was enough, and now I see why. So, my question is, does it really need to reach 100 per cent?
I'm going to use a 40w portable solar panel this year, with the generator as a supplement.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:29 PM   #24

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Dave7F,
I just purchased a Yamaha ef2000is, and it has a special cord to plug directly from the generator to clip onto your battery for charging.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #25

Name: David
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Washington
Glenn:

It is a good idea to charge deep cycle lead-acid batteries to full charge. If you frequently charge them to less than full, eventually excessive lead sulfate will build up on the plates and the battery capacity and performance will be reduced.

There are chargers that will "de-sulfanate" a poorly performing battery, but the process of changing the lead sulfate back in to lead and sulfuric acid also allows some of the lead to fall to the bottom of the battery (this happens to a lesser extent with normal charging too). Your battery will again perform, but at the cost of reduced capacity. The best life span is achieved by regularly fully charging.

Another important thing about batteries is to make sure they are fully charged before storing them, "top them off" by charging them every few months while in storage, and check the water levels of the fully charged battery. A good solar powered battery maintainer is very handy for this -- not just a solar panel hooked the battery. Preferably one that does a temperature compensated float charge.

In any case, battery chemistry "marches on" and batteries will eventually wear out and need to be replaced, it's just a matter how often based on how you care for them. If you understand that you might be replacing them a little more frequently, use them however you want.
Dave7F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:11 PM   #26

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I'm going to use a 40w portable solar panel this year, with the generator as a supplement.
If you spent the extra $40 and went with an 80 watt I'm willing to bet you never have to plug the generator in again! Maybe even true with a 60 Watt assuming your not wanting to watch TV and run a microwave.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:10 PM   #27

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Dave,
I agree that an outboard charger would do a faster job than the built in Honda one. More so if the battery was deeply discharged. I've tried a CTEK 7amp which was too slow and now have a "Solar" brand that as I remember can dump 20amps and works better. That said I still have a problem listening to a generator run for hours. On cloudy dark days you may have no choice though.
One technique that other posters mentioned in the past was to let the battery get down to 50% before running the generator to re-charge. you could replace a lot of juice faster with say a 20 amp charger and get to 90% in a couple of hours, and then shut it off. You could then wait until getting back home to top off the battery for storage.
Russ
http://www.amazon.com/SOLAR-PL2320-P.../dp/B007ESQW08
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:32 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I keep a log and it was enlightening when I had growing concern about my battery holding a charge. The battery I thought I bought a year or two earlier, was actually purchased in 2011.
Hey, I'm getting old, and so is my battery.

Tags
generator