How to determine value of a fixer upper? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2019, 12:41 PM   #1

Name: Leanne
Trailer: 1968 13ft Boler
Manitoba
How to determine value of a fixer upper?

Hi everyone!

We own a 1968 13' Boler. We bought it with the intention of fixing it back up to it's glory days, but life got in the way and it's currently sitting in the garage mid-renovation.

A few things to note:
  • We aren't 100% sure it's a 1968, but it does have a flat top which makes us assume it is that model year because as far as I know they went curved in 1969 and beyond. No interior stickers remain.
  • If it is indeed a 1968, this was the first model year for the Boler. We are located in Winnipeg, Manitoba, so this makes sense considering they were manufactured here.
  • We have had the axle professionally replaced and frame repaired underneath.
  • Inside, the insulation has been replaced, new wiring for exterior lighting, new floors.
  • No propane heating. No propane fridge, but original ice-box fridge remains.
  • The current state of the Boler is windows out, cupboard doors removed, etc. We are hoping someone who wants to buy fixer-upper won't mind we've started all the demo!

We want want to ensure we get a fair price for the Boler, with the understanding it's definitely not pretty right now. Anyone who knows the Boler community understands the value of the unit even in it's current state. I'm feeling a bit lost on where to start!

We paid $3,100 for it back in ~2014, put in $1,400 with the axle and frame repairs and then the cost of new insulation, paint, flooring, etc.

Any help would be appreciated! I can happily add photos later. Thanks all!
thelucaslodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:17 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Hard to get your money out of a project. Better to think of it as "sunk cost" (an accounting term).

I would look at fiberglass RV for sale site, completed listings. Based on description only, I'm at what you paid for it. $3000+/-. $6000 Canadian if it is close to ready to go and looking good. Pictures will tell the tale.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:28 PM   #3

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
Hi, I have bought several fixer-uppers in my time and have never expected to get my money back out of it, never mind all the hours spent on looking for parts and the work. Both were Trilliums and gave me a lot of pleasure and I learned a lot working on them. I always try to buy them low in case I have to give it away. You may have paid too much for it initially for a fixer upper? You have to look at it sitting in your backyard or wherever and it costing you money as it deteriorates. My suggestion is to spend a weekend cleaning and washing it with your family and then take some good pix that you can use for advertising and give yourself 4 weeks to see what happens. Remember that prices are going down since the summer is over. What is the effect on your family if they can't use it? This is not the time for the procrastinators, all the bargain hunters are out looking now.
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
You have great advice from the 2 above.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:47 PM   #5

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
The value of a thing depends on how much you'll let it go for compared to how much someone is willing to pay.

We did much the same with our 1973 Amerigo FG-16; we paid $6000, spent nearly $3000 fixing it up, and would list it at $10,000 if we were selling it now. In a year, or five, who knows?

I'd start the listing at what you paid plus what you put in. Never mind your time and work. In other words, go for the money, not the effort. Consider that not only sunk cost, but a hobby activity that didn't work out completely.

You can always lower the price. Unlikely you'll end up with a bidding war in which the price climbs.

I'd follow the above advice and get 'er clean, put a small bowl of wrapped, soft candies on the table or counter, and a small yellow flower, like, say, a potted marigold plant.

Stage it a little. Lay out a throw blanket and a couple of colorful pillows. Maybe a nice place setting. Assuming you have a table to set it on. Make a thorough list of what you're already done. Include receipts if you have them. Make a little booklet or notebook of all the paperwork. Color-theme it to the flower, or blanket, or whatever.

I know it's not finished. That makes it harder. But remember, you don't sell the steak, you sell the sizzle. Someone, somewhere, WANTS that first-year Boler. You know they do. THEY know they do. You just haven't connected yet.

NOBODY would buy anything if they didn't think there was some advantage. You did, once, and someone else will, again. And they'll have a wonderful, unique trailer.

Be patient. You've waited this long. Be ready to go down in price from your calculated maximum, money already spent. As my economics professor insisted, "sunk cost is no cost at all."

In other words, the money is gone. But you don't have to put up new money, either. So it's all to the good from that point.
BEST good luck to you!
"K"
Old 08-25-2019, 10:53 PM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
put the windows back in....a job that only takes a few hours

put the cupboard doors back on ...a job that only takes a few hours

you will earn yourself about a thousand dollars for those two tasks which is darned good money for the time you spend. The best news it will then sell faster because it will also bring a lot more buyers who are interested in it.

Even if you have to pay a handyman to do those two things you will still be way ahead financially
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote