I have a couple of questions.... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I've never heard of a policeman carrying around a weigh scale to check trailer weights. I doubt they're in the business of trying to weigh your trailer - it would have to be pulled over on a flat spot, chocked, and uncoupled from the tow vehicle, plus they'd have to carry a scale with currently valid maintenance certification saying the scale is accurate to issue a citation. Either that or take you to a legal weigh scale station somewhere. I think that's WAY too much overhead....

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #16

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I think we are talking about 2 different numbers here, the actual weight of the trailer and what is the trailer's maximum weight. The maximum weight is normally the concern of the registration people as this determines the rate of tax to be imposed on vehicles using our highways. The weight of the vehicle is determined by having it weighed. Pleas look here for clarity Towing Definitions-Understanding Towing weight terms

Old 12-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #17

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I've never heard of a policeman carrying around a weigh scale to check trailer weights. I doubt they're in the business of trying to weigh your trailer - it would have to be pulled over on a flat spot, chocked, and uncoupled from the tow vehicle, plus they'd have to carry a scale with currently valid maintenance certification saying the scale is accurate to issue a citation. Either that or take you to a legal weigh scale station somewhere. I think that's WAY too much overhead....
It's been a while, but when I was driving, I ran across several DOT
agents with portable scales. Back then we ran with 2 or 3 log books,
so we might make a quick refreshment stop before we got to them,
if we had time that is. We used light and hand signals between truckers,
so we usually knew what was up ahead. Later on we got CB's. woohoo.
And then radar detectors..............that was when I began getting tickets.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #18

Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13' Deluxe
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post

Thank you all for the info.

Yes, we do have the DOT with the portable weight scales that they set up on hwy 53 in Northern Minnesota. I'm only about 4 blocks from the hwy. We have lots of truck drivers up here logging and hauling into the mines and doing construction. Every once in a while you see the scales here.
God's Country, Minnesota
Mary Ann in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #19

Name: Tim
Trailer: Homebuilt Teardrop
Minnesota
Just an FYI. In Minnesota if your trailer weights 3000 lbs or more and weighs more than your tow vehicle, you are required to have trailer brakes.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #20

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann in MN View Post
This is what I don't understand on my tab slip. Do all 13' scamps have this weight? Just what does that mean? A scamp weighs more then 1500#.

As far a the hitch goes, it looks like a factory install and is welded to the bumper.
Many Scamp 13s weigh less than 1500#, some even less than 1200#, some claim even less, In fact early Scamp13s came with a 1200# capacity axle.

Eggy-Sue is a 2004 Scamp13 deluxe with every single option offered (except the second propane tank) and she still leaves the house (trip loaded) under 2000#. 1700 on the axle.

The real problem with a rear hitch on a Scamp13 is that it is mounted below the bumper. The angle of departure is compromised as a result, and a rack like the one you pictured is likely to exacerbate the problem. If you use it, be particularly careful when entering or leaving such things as driveways gas stations and parking lots.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:49 PM   #21

Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13' Deluxe
Minnesota
Thanks Floyd

God's Country, Minnesota
Mary Ann in MN is offline   Reply With Quote