I have a couple of questions.... - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #1

Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13' Deluxe
Minnesota
I have a couple of questions....

I just picked up tabs for the Scamp yesterday and noticed that it shows the weight of 1500 on the title card. Is that correct? I don't want to get stopped and ticketed for it not being right.

Also:
Has anyone used one of these aluminum cargo racks that go into the receiver hitch on the back of the camper? I have read where having bike racks on the back give the camper have more sway. Is this also true with the cargo racks? It sure would be nice to have a little extra room for cargo. Making a cover so the items will be protected from dirt and rain won't be a problem.
Attached Thumbnails
aluminum cargo rack s7_511826_894_01.jpg  

God's Country, Minnesota
Mary Ann in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #2

Name: Art
Trailer: Helite
Yes, I added one of these aluminum cargo carriers to the back of the Scamp 5r. It had a class 3 receiver on the back.

Weight: I have never been stopped and weighed.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
On your 13' Scamp, that rack itself may cause sway, empty.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Any weight behind the axle may cause sway.

That said, I used a steel version of that rack on the back of one of my Trillium 4500s, and put a couple of hundred pounds on it. No problem. The next year we put three bikes on the back of the trailer, also no problem.

The 4500 has similar geometry to the 1300, but it is longer in the back. This should have made the situation even worse.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #5

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I have a poly plastic one on my rear receiver with a plastic trunk on it. I keep my awning in it folded up as well as the tent pegs and line, a hatchet, two 25' hoses and 2 aluminum stands. I can carry it. I did take a pair of ratchet straps and strap it solidly to the bumper. Before I did that it did wiggle around too much and caused sway. My tongue weight is 285lbs withe the new battery box up front behind the 2 propane tanks. I usually keep my 95 lb generator in the doorway... I need to add it and reweigh my tongue.

Put your bathroom scale under the tongue jack with your trailer loaded like your going camping and weigh it. Then install the cargo carrier and check the weight again. Keep doing that so you know what your tongue weight is. Its supposed to be 10% of the trailer weight. As long as it is then take it for a ride at highway speed on a windy day.. you will find out if it works for you or not.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #6

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
As long as you maintain an adequate tongue weight (usually 8-15%), then you should be fine. Still, the further the loading is from the axle, the more it weighs on the overall towing performance.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann in MN View Post
I just picked up tabs for the Scamp yesterday and noticed that it shows the weight of 1500 on the title card. Is that correct?

Probably not! But the only way to know for sure is to, take it down and weight it........ Any weigh station, landfill and several businesses in your area should have scales. Good luck!
Old 12-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #8

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Mary Ann, just make certain the receiver hitch on the rear is setup for that extra weight. I don't know if the receiver is factory installed or done by a previous owner, you didn't mention that. I've actually seen the receiver hitch stem just welded to the weak bumper and that will never work! It needs to be attached at the bumper and threaded back and attached to the frame. Similar to what Orbital is building for Scamps and Casitas.

Best of luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #9

Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13' Deluxe
Minnesota
This is what I don't understand on my tab slip. Do all 13' scamps have this weight? Just what does that mean? A scamp weighs more then 1500#.

As far a the hitch goes, it looks like a factory install and is welded to the bumper.
Attached Images

God's Country, Minnesota
Mary Ann in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:50 PM   #10

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
This is what I don't understand on my tab slip. Do all 13' scamps have this weight? Just what does that mean? A scamp weighs more then 1500#.

As far a the hitch goes, it looks like a factory install and is welded to the bumper.
Sorry don't know the answer to that, mostly because I have no clue what a "tab" slip is.......... So, I really suggest that you weigh your particular trailer!

If the "tab" slip states the manufactures weight then perhaps. But it's still not the correct weight of your particular trailer! Hence why I suggest you weight your trailer. Manufacture weights are before things such as fridges, AC, toilet, doors, stoves, tanks, etc etc etc........................

You might also want to read this post, Trailer Weights in the Real World

I also suggest weighing dry and then again loaded! And since yours has been "remodeled" I really suggest weighing it! You won't know till you do!
Old 12-05-2013, 06:28 AM   #11

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Mary Ann, some states license plate tab fees are based on the weight of the vehicle, some on the cost of the vehicle, and thus charge differently each year a vehicle gets older. They justify the weight based fee based on the fact that the heavier vehicles cause more road surface damage, and thus try to recuperate the repair costs. They are more or less basing your trailer weight on a range NOT the exact weight of your trailer. You do not have to worry about being fined for being over the weight that they assigned to your vehicle (probably based on the manufacture's wt. listing). 1500 lbs for a standard Scamp 13' sounds like a realistic ball park weight rating (give or take a couple hundred pounds). Enjoy.
Dave & Paula
Old 12-05-2013, 06:38 AM   #12

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
As I mentioned before, it's not about how it's attached to the bumper... it's how it's attached to the FRAME. You need to get down and look.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #13

Name: Ken
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Hi Mary Ann I just got my MN tab registration for my Scamp 16' and it shows as 3000 lbs which is probably much higher than actual weight. I believe this number is somewhat arbitrary and depends on how it was registered by the original owner. When I transferred the title this information was already filled in. I don't think the people at MN DMV are too concerned about getting an exact weight. Click image for larger version

Name:	image-316151227.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	66874 Ken
Old 12-05-2013, 08:09 AM   #14

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Mary Ann
Scamp-13s sit lower to the ground (about 3"-4") than the other models due to axle configuration. Besides the issues mentioned you will also be effecting departure angle. Your trailer will be more prone to dragging the rear when going over a dip. I have seen smaller platforms for ATVs which have a vertical offset that may help this issue.
Eddie