I want a fiberglass Isuzu B class RV. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2017, 10:30 AM   #1

Name: Rick
Trailer: sprinter looking to tow something
California
I want a fiberglass Isuzu B class RV.

Anybody know the import laws regarding RHD Japan market RV's?? Do I need to wait 25 years before federal law allows me to import them like with cars? Or are the laws different with RV's?

I want to open my options up as far as small fuel efficient diesel "class B+" used stuff. It seems like the market is limited on those here.. I know people roll their own, but I would rather not to get in all to that.
Comp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:21 AM   #2

Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
I would try asking at Expedition Portal Forum

There's a number of folks on there with domestic and imported Izuzus.

I've looked into it a bit myself but I'm in Canada and our rules are different. My long term plan is to mount my trailer on the back of a crew cab Mitsubishi Fuso 4x4 which can only be had as an import in NA.
ChrisDunbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:46 AM   #3

Name: Stephen
Trailer: NotYet
Ohio
Importing "diesel"?

You should start by looking at the requirements to obtain "license plates" in your state of residence. If there is "any" type of emission check required, your ability to obtain license plates with an "imported" vehicle will be restricted.

Good Luck.
apfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:29 PM   #4

California
Right on Chris. The features I would be interested in having on any self propelled RV are, a turbo diesel, 4x4, moulded composite of course, and manual transmission. Individually no one would be a deal breaker not to have, but the more the better. I know overseas there exists vehicles that check all those boxes.

Thanks apf, I do need to look into sate law. CA is strict, I know on regular cars you cannot drive even the 25 year fed exempt imports. Not sure about RV laws, but its likely the same thing.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:18 PM   #5

Trailer: Former 1978 Trillium 4500 owner (now 2010 R-pod)
Ontario
Take a look at PacificCoastAuto's YouTube channel. He has imported many cars including several interesting campers. I'm sure Derek could help you.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:41 PM   #6

California
Thanks I will check with them.

That moulded trailer on the back of a fuso sounds mighty appealing, but that is probably too pricey for me, plus I'm not sure I am capable of doing that all myself. So labor cost on top of the paying for both components. For now still rocking the van without anything to pull. Also still have the old 6mpg C stored not getting used because its too expensive to fuel...

Cross my fingers and hope I'm wrong on the strict CA RV rules.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:55 AM   #7

California
Response paraphrased below... Seems like for diesels there is a little hope, but also great risk. You bring something in, paid for, then find out you can't use it. For sure a nightmare scenario. I guess worst case you have to sell your dream ride to an out of state buyer, hopefully not at a loss after all the legwork.

"CA CARB emissions requirements make registering Japan market vehicles very tricky. Gasoline engine vehicles must pass CARB, and bringing a JDM vehicle into compliance can cost upwards of US$10k. Diesel vehicles may be exempt, but that may be up to the person at the DMV when you are trying to register the car. Before you import anything, you will want to check with your local DMV and make sure as to what their registration requirements are."

So that is the word from an experienced advisor. Additionally from what I understand pre-1996 diesel may be the best bet in CA as they do not require smog check ins at all. I know on my post 1995 diesel, they make me do a 'smog check-ish deal' but don't even get it on the rollers. More a visual check. I don't even think they stick a probe up the pipe.. But you are in there every two years to possibly run into trouble.