Importing from Canada - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-19-2006, 08:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 95 Bigfoot 17 ft / 2005 F-250 V-10
I know that this topic has been covered in depth on this forum.
I recently sold my 1978 Trillium and it is a possiility that I may have to go up to BC to find a Bigfoot 17 ft. that fits my ticket.

Soooo...I don't think there are any real hangups coming back with a purchased trailer--just the usual bill of sale /title stuff. But I am just checking to make sure.

If any one has any thing to add or can direct me to a thread on this topic it would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Bonnie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 12:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 1996 16 ft Scamp
Last summer, I brought my Surfside into Idaho from Edmonton Alberta. I had to get a temporary travel permit to get me through Canada, which the Canadian seller helped me procure in Edmonton, and there were no problems entering the US. I chose a very small 24-hour border crossing at the top of the Idaho panhandle -- not much traffic, and it went smoothly.

There were no US customs due on mine because of it's age. Had it not been "vintage" I believe I would have paid some duty.

I already had in my possession a temporary Idaho Travel Permit (which is required) since I had no plates at all on the trailer. Trailer insurance in Idaho follows the tow vehicle, so I didn't have to provide proof of insurance except on the tow vehicle. And, with the US customs clearance document, there was no problem licensing in Idaho.

Hope this helps.
Raunie Aasland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 06:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Last summer, I brought my Surfside into Idaho from Edmonton Alberta. I had to get a temporary travel permit to get me through Canada, which the Canadian seller helped me procure in Edmonton, and there were no problems entering the US. I chose a very small 24-hour border crossing at the top of the Idaho panhandle -- not much traffic, and it went smoothly.

There were no US customs due on mine because of it's age. Had it not been "vintage" I believe I would have paid some duty.

I already had in my possession a temporary Idaho Travel Permit (which is required) since I had no plates at all on the trailer. Trailer insurance in Idaho follows the tow vehicle, so I didn't have to provide proof of insurance except on the tow vehicle. And, with the US customs clearance document, there was no problem licensing in Idaho.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, Raunie
This helps!
I don't know whether I will be forced to go up to Ca. for a trailer or not yet. I am going to be a little patient and try to find one here.
Most of the models I have seen (Bigfoot) are in the mid '80's.
Did you have to get the travel permit in Ca. because the trailer had no plates?
Old 05-22-2006, 06:11 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Howdy,

Here is the link you were looking for. There is no duty on new or used trailers from Canada.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 1996 16 ft Scamp
Yes, I got the Canadian travel permit because the previous owner did not want to leave his plates on the trailer. (I don't blame him).

I was able to get the Idaho permit in advance because I live in a rural county (and had all the info on the trailer), and the county clerk had recently gone through the process about 1 month before with someone else, just before I made my inquiry.

Who knows what Washington requires!

Contrary to the earlier post, yes, there would have been duty on the Surfside if it had been a much later model. However, I wouldn't worry about that. It's not that much $$!

You will still have to pay Washington Sales Tax (I suppose) when you register it there! I did in Idaho!

Raunie
Raunie Aasland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:33 PM   #6

Trailer: 73 Surfside 14 / '05 Magnum RT AWD
I don't see any mention of "Just ask YOUR tag agency what do you need to register a trailer from Canada?" Mine required a form from the border people, and of course a bill of sale and a title of some sort.

Now if that has been mentioned, and I missed it, oops sorry.
Jana J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 02:23 PM   #7

Here is the US Customs and Border Protection website link with info on importing trailers.

http://help.customs.gov/cgi-bin/customs.cf...li=&p_topview=1

As long as the trailer has a label stating it meets U.S. vehicle safety standards, then going through customs should be easy. There is no duty on trailers imported from Canada.

Good luck.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Here is the US Customs and Border Protection website link with info on importing trailers.

http://help.customs.gov/cgi-bin/customs.cf...li=&p_topview=1

As long as the trailer has a label stating it meets U.S. vehicle safety standards, then going through customs should be easy. There is no duty on trailers imported from Canada.

Good luck.
Thanks Thane!
That is a big help.
Still no luck here-- ..... so I may end up going north!
Old 05-24-2006, 10:31 PM   #9

You could drive up to Chilliwack and see an Escape; I love my 17 footer. They have a rental now so you can take it for a camp.

www.escapetrailer.com