Incident Yesterday Afternoon - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-20-2011, 12:11 AM   #29

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
Both the owner of the blue SUV and I have the same insurance companies.

I guess it really doesn't matter, since my wife just told me that we aren't about to cause the SUV owner any more grief.
You might want to talk to your insurance company again. The car was parked and comprehensive takes care of repairs I think. Here the deductible is much lower than collision.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:31 AM   #30

Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Registry
I think I will go have a little chat with my agent. When I stopped by to report the incident the agent was busy and I only talked to one of his staff.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:54 AM   #31

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
I think I will go have a little chat with my agent. When I stopped by to report the incident the agent was busy and I only talked to one of his staff.
GOOD idea Ray. As you've found out we all have opinions... you need the facts for your particular incident. Please let us know what you find out....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #32

Name: Andy
Trailer: 1979 Ventura 13'
Alberta
Sometimes insurance companies will ask you to pay the deductable even when you're not required. Just last year they tried this when my wife's car got mangled to the tune of $3500 and asked her to pay $1000 deductable. First her deductable is only $250 and second it's $0 on comprehensive which it was since her car was parked. When I pointed these errors out to the insurance company all I got was the "Oh we're sorry Mr. Gee." They will try anything to reduce their payout.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:39 PM   #33

Florida
Registry
I just got it back from the shop - it looks like new again - (which it really is). I had $500 deductible on both collision and comprehensive so it didn't matter which one they called it. It turns out that here in Florida the person that caused the damage is responsible even if they pushed someone else into me, so the chances of recovering the deductible are next to nil.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:01 PM   #34

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
It turns out that here in Florida the person that caused the damage is responsible even if they pushed someone else into me, so the chances of recovering the deductible are next to nil.
Can both you and the blue SUV take him to small claims court (class action) for your deductable and other expenses including costs. The issue appears to come from his negligence for both his driving and lack of adequate insurance.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #35

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
2 people can't make a class action suit, but could be joint plaintiffs. Regardless of whether Blue wanted to join in, you could file in small claims court (assuming your state has such) for the $500 plus filing cost, etc. Small claims doesn't usually cost much. But one downside is that even if you win, there's no guarantee the person will pay up. If they have no job there's no paycheck to garnish. One may have to file a lien on his property to get paid out of proceeds if/when he ever sold it.

An idea: contact the person and ask for money. Maybe he will feel bad about what he did and send you a check. Can't hurt to ask, right?
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:45 PM   #36

Florida
Registry
My insurance company is going to attempt to recover costs; for themselves and my deductible.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:41 AM   #37

Name: Andy
Trailer: 1979 Ventura 13'
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N
My insurance company is going to attempt to recover costs; for themselves and my deductible.
Ah...very good then.
Just lucky you weren't getting in or out of your truck when this happened. I got hit while removing a laundry basket from the back of the car, being that it was my wife's car and her being the primary insured I had to file claim against her. This was basically a formality that allowed her insurance to go after the other party.
Sorry didn't want to hi-jack your thread just wanted to make a point that following your insurace companies policies and procedures can help smooth out a bumpy road. Always ask questions.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:58 AM   #38

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
$5000 in damages. I'll have to pay my $500 deductible because the dirt-bag who caused the wreck didn't have enough insurance to cover all the damage he caused. Because I was the last hit, I'm the last in line for a claim on his 10K in insurance, and that will probably mostly be gone just replacing the poles and signs he plowed under.
Ok guys this scares me a little. I need a little help on this one! How can it be legal for someone to be driving around in the USA with only $10,000 in insurance? I can see carrying only $10000 limit in repairs to his own car but how the heck can that limit be applied to damage done to others?

Here every auto insurance policy has included in its basic plan an Underinsured Motorist Protection. You are covered up to $1 million from your own policy, even if the other driver has no insurance at all. Secondly every registered vechile in the province must carry a minimum of $200,000 Third Party Liability coverage.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:50 AM   #39

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Ok guys this scares me a little. I need a little help on this one! How can it be legal for someone to be driving around in the USA with only $10,000 in insurance? I can see carrying only $10000 limit in repairs to his own car but how the heck can that limit be applied to damage done to others?

Here every auto insurance policy has included in its basic plan an Underinsured Motorist Protection. You are covered up to $1 million from your own policy, even if the other driver has no insurance at all. Secondly every registered vechile in the province must carry a minimum of $200,000 Third Party Liability coverage.
Every state is different. It was only a few years ago that Alabama even started requiring ANY insurance. Florida only requires 10K in property damage, and doesn't require ANY liability - I know, it doesn't seem right, but we have to live with it by paying more for our own protection against the dirt-bag uninsured and under-insured motorists.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:29 PM   #40

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Thanks Ray - I understand as we pay **dearly** also for our manditory coverage - I actually have to have by law seperate insurance on my trailer as well, min $200,000 liablity, $150,000 accident benefits and $1 million Underinsured Motorist protection - thats on top of what is manditory insurance for the car towing it. Loss or damage insurance for the trailer itself is extra but optional. I always wondered about the "underinsured "portion of our policy - always assumed it would be needed in the rare case of being hit by someone driving with expired tags (normally those get picked up pretty quick by the highway police) which would mean they dont have insurance. Now I know its really to protect us against being hit by a tourist.

But I have to admit Im really struggling with trying to understand how that could be even possible or the justification a State would make for allowing it. Gezzz what happens if a driver hits some child in a crosswalk and leaving them disabled for life? Who pays for the maintence of that person? The state?
Old 06-24-2011, 06:06 PM   #41

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Post California MINIMUM insurance required

Insurance Requirements for Vehicle Registration
Quote:
Minimum liability insurance requirements for private passenger vehicles (California Insurance Code 11580.1b)

$15,000 for injury/death to one person.
$30,000 for injury/death to more than one person.
$5,000 for damage to property.
If you have assets then you may be sued for anything that the insurance won't pay for. Many people who carry the minimum have no tangible assets.

I carry the highest Liability Insurance available to me as automobile insurance:
$250,000 for injury/death to one person.
$500,000 for injury/death to more than one person.
$100,000 for damage to property.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:23 PM   #42

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Unfortunately, if you have a lot to lose then you need a lot of insurance, if you have nothing to lose you only need the minimum amount.
One can always file suit and obtain a judgement where the other person will have to work a long time to pay the judgement. Also once they are found guilty in one case, the burden of proof shifts to them on other cases under the theory of "Collateral Estoppel", defined as once a court has decided an issue of fact or law necessary to its judgment, that decision ... preclude[s] relitigation of the issue in a suit on a different cause of action. So it becomes easier to obtain judgements after someone is already found guilty.

So in post#40, the parents would have to sue that individual for medical costs. If criminal acts are involved, such as alcohol, the state would file criminal charges. If found guilty in a criminal case, under collateral estoppel, the guilty one can not argue no guilt in a civil case and it would be relatively easy to obtain a civil judgement for the injured one's health costs.