INSURANCE? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-06-2017, 06:09 AM   #15

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
bill I have never had this problem with state farm I bought a converted bus years ago they insured it for way more than I paid for it. they were concerned if I could handle such monster.

I have recently purchased 2 trailers I insured them both for what I paid for them isn't this fair? maybe its because I carry insurance for 5 vehicles and a trailer plus life insurance.

I have been a customer for 50 years also! But who knows what goes on in the insurance world. oh they wont insure my house! I cannot figure this one out yet!

bob

Old 11-07-2017, 12:15 PM   #16

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
bill I have never had this problem with state farm I bought a converted bus years ago they insured it for way more than I paid for it. they were concerned if I could handle such monster.

I have recently purchased 2 trailers I insured them both for what I paid for them isn't this fair? maybe its because I carry insurance for 5 vehicles and a trailer plus life insurance.

I have been a customer for 50 years also! But who knows what goes on in the insurance world. oh they wont insure my house! I cannot figure this one out yet!

bob

Bob,

We insure with State Farm and their service sucks. The coverage is pretty much industry standard but it's the idea of customer service that has become polluted.

After discussing coverage of my trailer with my agent, she made it clear that the only time the trailer is covered is while it's actually attached to the tow vehicle. When unattached, zero coverage, including zero liability. It seems that if it doesn't have an engine, like your old bus, it isn't considered and RV and insurance isn't required at all. At least that's what she outlined for the state of Kentucky. I tried to explain that it was a Antique and a Vintage model no longer in production and it didn't matter to them.

State Farm doesn't care and they don't give one hoot about you or your car/camper/trailer/house/multi-vehicle discount crap! All they care about is collecting their premiums: PERIOD.

Recently, we were rear ended while stopped in traffic and when I called to report the incident to my agent, they filed the claim and sent me a check. THEN I find out that they filed the claim as if I were at fault and that my rates would increase if I cashed the check! Did they bother to ask me if I was at fault?!? No. They simply said, "sorry, you'll have to call the claims department, we can't help you with that."

After insuring with State Farm for over 30 years, I too expected the value of my long term relationship to be of some value. HA!!!!! They don't care one tiny iota about me or my property. They just want your money. Will "my" agent work for me? Nope. My agent is nothing more than a glorified cashier.

Lot's of people, me included, think that having a relationship with your local agent will entitle you to special understanding of the circumstances of an event or accident. FAT CHANCE! Don't be fooled like I was...my wife explained to me in clear detail that "insurance is the biggest legal racketeering business you can imagine."

My eyes have been opened and I want to switch companies. Problem is, they're all the same. You loose....

End of rant. Bill (not Laura)

Old 11-07-2017, 03:50 PM   #17

Missouri
my experience

I have had 2 cars totaled out not our fault state farm was there and was fair to us. once had a cat get in our car he totaled out our upholstery they paid up.

have had various things on our comprehensive they have always paid up no sweat. now I admit I haven't had a claim on a camper yet but I backed our a-liner into a bush did some damage they were going to pay up but I fixed it myself.

I have heard these stories but in my time have never had a problem one thing has helped in a way is their salespeople are now on salary. maybe they bend sometimes.

bob
Old 11-08-2017, 07:31 AM   #18

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
I have heard these stories but in my time have never had a problem one thing has helped in a way is their salespeople are now on salary. maybe they bend sometimes.

bob
Bob, glad this worked for you. I'd like to think that mine was an isolated incident, but things like this have happened with two different agents from two different towns.

I gotta quit talking about this because it just makes me get riled up every time...
Old 11-08-2017, 07:41 AM   #19

Missouri
understand

bill I understand and I don't understand sincerely I have heard of this but they have never treated me with nothing but respect. I have retried 5 agents in the 50 years I have been with them every agent a nice person!

I don't blame you one bit for the way you feel! I guess this goes with the either love Walmarts or hate them thing.

bob
Old 11-14-2017, 07:21 AM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Bill, I am really sorry about your experience with State Farm. Mine has been the opposite. I've been with them over 30 years and have had 3 major claims over the last 15 years. One was an at-fault accident, and their "accident forgiveness" policy meant our premiums did not rise. The other two were not-at-fault accidents with an insured party, and neither resulted in a premium increase.

I agree about the agents, though. In my experience they've become all about sales. Our current agent is constantly trying to push various unrelated financial services. The call-in claims center is impersonal, but except for a poorly-handled misunderstanding on one claim, their agents have been efficient and professional, provided you understand the system. My previous local agent, now retired, would have explained everything patiently and given fatherly advice about the best course of action- miss those days!

I believe insurance companies are state-based, though. Claims experience and premium ratings likely vary quite a bit across state lines. Sadly, you only find out after something happens, and then it becomes hard to switch. Hope you can find a company that will provide better service.

We also have our trailer with State Farm. That policy has been untested- and I hope it stays that way! My expectations are low, like the premium.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:39 AM   #21

Name: John Michael
Trailer: Scamp 13
Madison, Wisconsin
I have had good luck with State Farm over 40+ years. Several auto claims and a new hail damaged roof later I could't be more satisfied. Always fair and very prompt in getting me the money. I hate the premiums, but I am ahead overall.

But, as the above posts suggest, YMMV.

Wisconsin used to have pretty strict consumer friendly insurance regulation. Lately that has been weakened with a change in politics. You can probably guess which way its changed. I don't think companies fear the insurance commissioner anymore.

john, living in Madison (94 square miles surrounded by reality)
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:54 AM   #22

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
floyd,

wherever in the universe one may roam, having that friendly don't panic cover to look at is always calming. Thanks.

BEST
Kai

« Buy long distance? | - »