INSURANCE? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-08-2018, 04:34 PM   #29

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
I have no insurance on any of my trailers for exactly that reason. Insurance companies never loose money.

David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:34 PM   #30

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by V'sGlassSleeper View Post
Thanks for your response. Is there no way to prove - through online ad posts and other real-market information - what the actual replacement cost would be for these vintage fiberglass travel trailers? I bought this trailer in 2007 for over $11,000, had to drive all the way from Phoenix, Arizona to Vancouver Island, BC to get it and will easily have put $6,000 into it by the time I finish all the renovations. What is the point of having any insurance on it at all if the insurer goes by the Blue Book Value of $3,000?
There IS a way to prove it's actual value to an insurer, and that's with an appraisal, as I mentioned. If the appraiser specializes in determining actual market value for a vintage trailer, they will take the current market and ads as well as any improvements or renovations into account in determining the value.

But, the appraisal isn't much good unless the insurer agrees to use it. That's agreed upon value coverage. Off the shelf coverage doesn't offer that.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:37 PM   #31

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
INSURANCE?

I have been very happy with State Farm Mutual, both cost and claims response, for over 30 years. I do not have any special coverage for my Scamp, just a standard ACV policy, and I've never made a claim on the trailer.

Based on what I've read from others who have made claims under similar policies in other states, they will initially offer to settle for the NADA value, but with proof of a higher actual market value (through comps collected from this site and www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com) most people have reported eventually coming to a satisfactory settlement. I don't have a lot of money tied up in my Scamp, so that is good enough for me.

In the case of a vintage unit like yours that has undergone a major renovation, the only way to protect your full investment is an agreed-value policy, which Robert describes well. Receipts for work and materials are helpful in the appraisal process. I have no idea which Arizona insurers might offer that type of policy nor what premiums might look like.

It's a lot of trouble, and you may find in the end the self-insurance approach is best. One advantage of going through the appraisal process is if someone else is at fault and your trailer is destroyed, you have established a basis for a higher valuation prior to the claim.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:19 PM   #32

Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
It's a lot of trouble, and you may find in the end the self-insurance approach is best. One advantage of going through the appraisal process is if someone else is at fault and your trailer is destroyed, you have established a basis for a higher valuation prior to the claim.
Yep, a very real possibility.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:08 AM   #33

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
inurance

I too use state farm just before I sold my a-liner I crashed it a tad due to my back surgery and not being able to turn. I called state farm no problem get an estimate I waited a month for campers world to send me an estimate they never bothered.

in the mean time I got to looking at it and the damage was really minor I fixed it and sold the camper.

in my 50 years with them I have had quite a few claims never a problem ever.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:56 AM   #34

Name: Val
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
Arizona
Registry
Thank you for the tips, folks. I like the idea of getting my trailer appraised once I have finished all the renovations, which should be in a couple of months. I will definitely start looking for an insurer who specializes in vintage trailers. If that proves impossible to find, then I guess my only option will be self-insurance. With new 19 foot travel trailers this size only being offered by high-end manufacturers like Escape and Oliver, and vintage Bigfoot travel trailers in this size being so hard to find and usually not in tip-top shape because of their age (hence my having to do a thorough renovation of mine), replacing mine would not be cheap if it got totaled, especially with all the upgrades I have done (nevermind all the sweat equity I have in mine).
V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:18 PM   #35

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
North Carolina
Not only do insurance companies not recognize the value, so too with the NC DMV. Did make for cheaper plates.

I even asked my insurance company to google escape trailer. It’s the first one listed. They insisted my Escape is a cheap stickie.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:01 PM   #36

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
I even asked my insurance company to google escape trailer. Itís the first one listed. They insisted my Escape is a cheap stickie.
There is a cheap stickie Escape:
https://www.kz-rv.com/products/escape-travel-trailers/
You need to make sure they know the difference for your insurance.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:34 PM   #37

Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Not only do insurance companies not recognize the value, so too with the NC DMV. Did make for cheaper plates.

I even asked my insurance company to google escape trailer. Itís the first one listed. They insisted my Escape is a cheap stickie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
There is a cheap stickie Escape:
https://www.kz-rv.com/products/escape-travel-trailers/
You need to make sure they know the difference for your insurance.
That's right. Progressive (via Good Sam) made the mistake of showing mine as a KZ Spree Escape on the policy. When I made them change it to a "make" of Escape and a "model" of 19, it showed correctly on the policy. The trailer make was not in their system however, so it took awhile for them to agree to the value.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:16 PM   #38

Missouri
our trailer value

when I called our agent to insure our scamper he asked what I thought it was worth I told him no more than I paid for it 5k. he said fine and wrote the policy for that.

bob
Old 02-19-2018, 05:15 AM   #39

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Bob, that does not mean it is insured for $5K. I think you'll find your policy is an ACV policy, which means they will pay you what they consider its "actual cash value" at time of loss.

That would probably be the NADA value, and it will be up to you to convince them otherwise.

The number you gave them was probably used to set your premium.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:41 AM   #40

Missouri
our rig insurance

jon he asked what I paid for it I told him 5k he asked what I wanted to value it at and it told him 5k which I think is fair value.

I doubt I can replace it for that but if it was in an accident I would probably accept what they considered fair value I have got use out of it! now if it was a high dollar rig I would probably whine.

I had a neighbor crash into my Lincoln one time it was totaled they had their book value but I squeezed another 500.00 out of them because although it had high miles I had more in it than they offered. the adjuster got mad but he tore the check up and wrote me another one.

I don't know what convinced him to do that! both of us were state farm by the way.

bob
Old 02-21-2018, 04:02 PM   #41

Name: Rick
Trailer: Boler
Michigan
This is very interesting as I haven't even thought of insuring mine yet. I was told that the tow vehicle would cover loss while being towed. My agent said my boat and trailer would be covered in an auto accident. If the boat was damaged on the water that would be its individual policy. So I just completed the restoration of my '86 boat and have it valued for the $ amount I set based on that restoration. Is that what I do with my Boler when the restoration is complete? My boat is insured with Boat US. Is there a good travel trailer insurance co. that would stand out from the rest? I'm not sure I want to rely on a settlement check based on book value. Or just have insurance for going down the road and not parked. I know, always have it hooked up and on the road!!!

Rick W
Rick W in MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:07 PM   #42

Missouri
values

well insurance cos. aren't stupid and most are honest. although you may value it for far more if totaled get ready I doubt if you can hammer them up for more than book value.

not to hurt your feelings you might have to look long and hard for a company to fill your needs. I honestly don't know!

bob