INSURANCE? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2017, 02:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 76 Trillium 13 ft
Registry
Question INSURANCE?

What do any of you have in terms of road insurance for vintage trailers? I have AAA Plus for my car etc, but it doesn't cover Kermit ('76 Trillium), I took out specific GoodSam Club insurance for my last trip, but now I have it on top of my AAA (GS also seems to think in terms of big motorcoach things) and really can't afford both, plus some things overlap.. My concern is if the car breaks down & has to be towed somewhere, i sure as heck don't want the trailer to sit abandoned on the side of the road beckoning someone to take it. I want to start doing longer hauls (2 week+?) and this makes me all twitchy. Thanks for any advice.
susan b. davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 03:48 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have the AAA RV option that was only about $20 extra.We are in New York. Have found that it is not available in all states. We also have the Good Sam roadside assistance. Have never used either one so can't rate them. If you only have AAA on your car and break down while towing a trailer you would have to pay for the trailer to be towed. Probably could arrange for that with the AAA service provider that tows the car. And then if you really like to worry you can get Good Sam medical policy too. I'm always getting offers for that. As far as their repair insurance and liability and comprehensive insurance you have to have a camper less than 10 years old.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 04:06 PM   #3

Trailer: 76 Trillium 13 ft
Registry
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
We have the AAA RV option that was only about $20 extra.We are in New York. Have found that it is not available in all states. We also have the Good Sam roadside assistance. Have never used either one so can't rate them. If you only have AAA on your car and break down while towing a trailer you would have to pay for the trailer to be towed. Probably could arrange for that with the AAA service provider that tows the car. And then if you really like to worry you can get Good Sam medical policy too. I'm always getting offers for that. As far as their repair insurance and liability and comprehensive insurance you have to have a camper less than 10 years old.

Thanks: It seems "RV towing" (200 mi) is free w/ the AAA Premier tier (I have Plus), which would result in a $50 yearly increase. But I need to call AAA: does "RV" include trailers or is it just motorhomes. Also I am on LeftCoast, everything is higher/not included over here
susan b. davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 04:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
There are a lot of variables to be considered ...
Start with your capabilities
Can you change a tire?
Can you replace or service a wheel bearing?
Can you do minor electrical or handyman repairs?
These things can frame your needs.
Next,What do you want?
Do you want collision and/or comprehensive?
Do you need only road service and towing?

Check with your car insurance carrier to see what is covered when towing and whether they offer supplementary coverage for the trailer and what kinds for how much.
There are also specialty companies for road service from AAA to AARP to Good Sam.

You might check if your car is under warranty...
My Ford warranty covers road service and towing for my car or my trailer or both.
My car insurance also covers towing for both.

I have separate Comp and collision for my trailer through through the same carrier.

If you are not too close to a large city you may also find that towing would be cheap enough for out of pocket payment.

The best insurance would be to learn a few road service skills so that you can take care of the minor stuff yourself.
Most of all learn how to stay safe and be aware of your surroundings in an emergency.
Remember....
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 04:10 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
What is AAA Plus RV membership?

Adding this valuable protection to your membership extends your four service calls per membership year to include trailers, RVs or other eligible vehicles. RVs: Motorhomes, travel trailers or pickups with campers. Motorcycle coverage available: Includes 100 miles of towing, free fuel delivery and more.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:14 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
My trailer is still covered for comp and collision after 13 years and the value is still five figures.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:39 PM   #7

Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
insurance

I use state farm cost for the trailer 100bux

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 04:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
I use state farm cost for the trailer 100bux

bob
100bux for what? They tow it to the dump for you?
Old 11-05-2017, 04:58 PM   #9

Missouri
not hardly 100bux for comprehensive 5k

bob
Old 11-05-2017, 07:44 PM   #10

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Just check with State Farm and find out how much they will pay for a total loss on your trailer. We have State Farm, their coverage for us stinks, they think our trailer is worth small fraction of its market value. They don't seem to understand how well molded trailers hold their value.

We are shopping for alternate insurance.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:56 PM   #11

I think this thread actually started out to discuss "roadside assistance" not trailer insurance.
Whatever. Replies should be clear what it is they are responding to.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:24 PM   #12

Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
My trailer is still covered for comp and collision after 13 years and the value is still five figures.
Floyd, we have had no luck trying to get comp and collision on any of our trailers through our local insurance agent. They will do it for my '76 Ford pickup at any value I want, but can't do the trailers. I'm mainly interested in insuring the Casita, but it's a '96 so 21 years old. Good Sam called me about insurance once, but when I told them what I had it was "Have a nice day, goodbye". Good point you made in your other post about your vehicle insurance covering towing, I just recently realized it is included in my policy.
EDIT; don't know what the towing part of my policy covers, such as distance or where to
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:04 PM   #13

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
Wasn't there a very similar thread a couple of months ago? Seems to me the conclusion was that each state is very different, and each company has multiple options. Difficult to compare apples to apples, and some states, all you get is Kiwi
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:07 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Floyd, we have had no luck trying to get comp and collision on any of our trailers through our local insurance agent. They will do it for my '76 Ford pickup at any value I want, but can't do the trailers. I'm mainly interested in insuring the Casita, but it's a '96 so 21 years old. Good Sam called me about insurance once, but when I told them what I had it was "Have a nice day, goodbye". Good point you made in your other post about your vehicle insurance covering towing, I just recently realized it is included in my policy.
EDIT; don't know what the towing part of my policy covers, such as distance or where to
My former insurance agent took my money for the Scamp (when it was new) sold me the policy, but never completed the paper work. There was a conflict upon renewal of my policy when he failed to submit a crucial part of the paper work to the company. Did I say former agent? I have since straightened out with my new agent and clarified the coverage.
Still I must be constantly reminded of the words of that great philosopher Kingfish...
"Yes Suh Amos, Ya know the big print giveth and the fine print taketh away!"

I carry comp and collision on the trailer and on my 18 YO pickup, primarily because if the insurance company has no skin in the game they will not defend you in the event of a claim against another at fault party in an accident. They have abandoned all principal and always seek the cheapest way out without regard to fault.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:09 AM   #15

Missouri
bill I have never had this problem with state farm I bought a converted bus years ago they insured it for way more than I paid for it. they were concerned if I could handle such monster.

I have recently purchased 2 trailers I insured them both for what I paid for them isn't this fair? maybe its because I carry insurance for 5 vehicles and a trailer plus life insurance.

I have been a customer for 50 years also! But who knows what goes on in the insurance world. oh they wont insure my house! I cannot figure this one out yet!

bob
Old 11-07-2017, 12:15 PM   #16

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
bill I have never had this problem with state farm I bought a converted bus years ago they insured it for way more than I paid for it. they were concerned if I could handle such monster.

I have recently purchased 2 trailers I insured them both for what I paid for them isn't this fair? maybe its because I carry insurance for 5 vehicles and a trailer plus life insurance.

I have been a customer for 50 years also! But who knows what goes on in the insurance world. oh they wont insure my house! I cannot figure this one out yet!

bob

Bob,

We insure with State Farm and their service sucks. The coverage is pretty much industry standard but it's the idea of customer service that has become polluted.

After discussing coverage of my trailer with my agent, she made it clear that the only time the trailer is covered is while it's actually attached to the tow vehicle. When unattached, zero coverage, including zero liability. It seems that if it doesn't have an engine, like your old bus, it isn't considered and RV and insurance isn't required at all. At least that's what she outlined for the state of Kentucky. I tried to explain that it was a Antique and a Vintage model no longer in production and it didn't matter to them.

State Farm doesn't care and they don't give one hoot about you or your car/camper/trailer/house/multi-vehicle discount crap! All they care about is collecting their premiums: PERIOD.

Recently, we were rear ended while stopped in traffic and when I called to report the incident to my agent, they filed the claim and sent me a check. THEN I find out that they filed the claim as if I were at fault and that my rates would increase if I cashed the check! Did they bother to ask me if I was at fault?!? No. They simply said, "sorry, you'll have to call the claims department, we can't help you with that."

After insuring with State Farm for over 30 years, I too expected the value of my long term relationship to be of some value. HA!!!!! They don't care one tiny iota about me or my property. They just want your money. Will "my" agent work for me? Nope. My agent is nothing more than a glorified cashier.

Lot's of people, me included, think that having a relationship with your local agent will entitle you to special understanding of the circumstances of an event or accident. FAT CHANCE! Don't be fooled like I was...my wife explained to me in clear detail that "insurance is the biggest legal racketeering business you can imagine."

My eyes have been opened and I want to switch companies. Problem is, they're all the same. You loose....

End of rant. Bill (not Laura)
Old 11-07-2017, 03:50 PM   #17

Missouri
my experience

I have had 2 cars totaled out not our fault state farm was there and was fair to us. once had a cat get in our car he totaled out our upholstery they paid up.

have had various things on our comprehensive they have always paid up no sweat. now I admit I haven't had a claim on a camper yet but I backed our a-liner into a bush did some damage they were going to pay up but I fixed it myself.

I have heard these stories but in my time have never had a problem one thing has helped in a way is their salespeople are now on salary. maybe they bend sometimes.

bob
Old 11-08-2017, 07:31 AM   #18

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
I have heard these stories but in my time have never had a problem one thing has helped in a way is their salespeople are now on salary. maybe they bend sometimes.

bob
Bob, glad this worked for you. I'd like to think that mine was an isolated incident, but things like this have happened with two different agents from two different towns.

I gotta quit talking about this because it just makes me get riled up every time...
Old 11-08-2017, 07:41 AM   #19

Missouri
understand

bill I understand and I don't understand sincerely I have heard of this but they have never treated me with nothing but respect. I have retried 5 agents in the 50 years I have been with them every agent a nice person!

I don't blame you one bit for the way you feel! I guess this goes with the either love Walmarts or hate them thing.

bob
Old 11-14-2017, 07:21 AM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Bill, I am really sorry about your experience with State Farm. Mine has been the opposite. I've been with them over 30 years and have had 3 major claims over the last 15 years. One was an at-fault accident, and their "accident forgiveness" policy meant our premiums did not rise. The other two were not-at-fault accidents with an insured party, and neither resulted in a premium increase.

I agree about the agents, though. In my experience they've become all about sales. Our current agent is constantly trying to push various unrelated financial services. The call-in claims center is impersonal, but except for a poorly-handled misunderstanding on one claim, their agents have been efficient and professional, provided you understand the system. My previous local agent, now retired, would have explained everything patiently and given fatherly advice about the best course of action- miss those days!

I believe insurance companies are state-based, though. Claims experience and premium ratings likely vary quite a bit across state lines. Sadly, you only find out after something happens, and then it becomes hard to switch. Hope you can find a company that will provide better service.

We also have our trailer with State Farm. That policy has been untested- and I hope it stays that way! My expectations are low, like the premium.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote