Insurance on 13' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2009, 01:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I have NO insurance on my 13' Scamp. My Ins. company said, if the trailer is hooked up, to my truck, then it's covered when driving or parked. He said if a storm is coming, when camping, I should hook it up to my truck, then it will be covered for any damages. If it's unhooked it will not be covered. Same goes if it sets in your yard. MUST be hooked up to be covered by my Ins..
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I don't carry any either cause it wasn't worth the value and my insurer told me about the "on the hook" coverage that was already there. I figure if it gets wiped out camping I'll find the coupler and attach it to the car and say, Wow that storm was so powerful it ripped the trailer right off the TV...

If you can get it in the garage, then our homeowners covers it in the garage as well but not parked outside.

2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Lil Bunk 18 ft / 1975 IH Scout II
"Stuff" does happen. December 1, 2007, a large wind came up and caused lots of damage in the area. Our almost new "sticky" 5th wheel was lifted off of the ground. The sleeping compartment of the travel trailer hit the roof edge of our doublewide mobile home. It fell down and the 5th wheel hitch landed on the power riser. We were truly "trailer trashed".

Fortunately, both insurance policies were with the same company and agent. I got a prompt and fair settlement from Farmers Insurance.

In my case, it payed off the loan on the 5th wheel travel trailer. And they towed off the remains of the travel trailer.

Can you afford to take the loss of your egg?

Attached Images

Russ & Marian McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2008 19 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe 5th Wheel
***Can you afford to take the loss of your egg?*** That is the question SPOT ON.

California law:
You are covered for LIABILITY automatically - the damage you do to OTHERS. when an accident is your fault.
You would have to pay separate if you wanted Collision and Comprehensive:
Collision is the damage you do to your OWN vehicles when you have an accident that is your own fault
Comprehensive is for NON moving damage - including theft, fire and so on. Damage NOT resulting from a moving accident.

Bottom line... can you afford to replace it out of pocket? If yes, don't bother with comp/collision.

If NO, how much CAN you afford.. the deductible. The higher YOU pay the less the premium.
ASK for the premium pieces, so you know what you are getting for your $$$

We keep the deductible - cars, home owners and so on, generally at the highest they offer. If my house burnt down / car got stolen, whatever, I could suck up $1,000. It makes a BIG premium diff from, say, $250 deductible.

Quote:
"Stuff" does happen. December 1, 2007, a large wind came up and caused lots of damage in the area. Our almost new "sticky" 5th wheel was lifted off of the ground. The sleeping compartment of the travel trailer hit the roof edge of our doublewide mobile home. It fell down and the 5th wheel hitch landed on the power riser. We were truly "trailer trashed".

Fortunately, both insurance policies were with the same company and agent. I got a prompt and fair settlement from Farmers Insurance.

In my case, it payed off the loan on the 5th wheel travel trailer. And they towed off the remains of the travel trailer.

Can you afford to take the loss of your egg?
Alan Weinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:17 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
We had a tornado in Va. last June. (Go figure.)I had two Scamps in my yard hit by broken tree tops from two different trees on the same day. Neither Scamp had insurance policies them. This is what learned from the event. When the Scamp is attached to a tow vehicle it only has liability coverage from the tow vehicle policy. In Va. Home Owners covers trailers up to $1500 per event. (One storm, two trailers, two trees= one event) Now the fine print. Home Owners does not cover motor vehicles, since the Scamps were titled and licensed by DMV they are considered a motor vehicle even though they have no motor or engine. Garden and farm trailers are what are covered by home owners. You need to talk to your agent and read your policy. I'm not sure the agent is really the person to talk to. I got my info. from the adjuster. I'm sure every state has their own rules and loop holes so do your research.
Insurance for mid 80 Scamp 13 valued at $3500 is less than $70. per six months. It also covers loss of contents for $1000 if damaged or stolen. Not a bad deal. How do I know this? I had a third Scamp in the same yard last June, it was insured and it came through the tornado with out a scratch.
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:49 AM   #6

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
i have both comp and collision on my 5er... its only for 10K but at least if something happend to it.. it was help pay for another one..
I fell like sitting here at home its like a big big white board.. if some little $#[at][at] decided to graffitti it at least it would be covered to get it repainted too....
I just feel better with full coverage..... its wasnt that much more to add to my auto policy..
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:41 PM   #7

Trailer: Skyline Nomad 25 ft
We called our insurance agent and was able to add on our 1999 25 ft Nomad for only
$85. a year, it doesn't cover contents (clothes, tv, etc) It covers the trailer for
damages to the trailer itself. Under $100 to protect our $7,000 investment seems cheap.
It goes by the value of the trailer.
I'd call your agent and ask if your auto insurance carrier will also give you a
policy for the trailer.
Caroline M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:27 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
We called our insurance agent and was able to add on our 1999 25 ft Nomad for only
$85. a year, it doesn't cover contents (clothes, tv, etc) It covers the trailer for
damages to the trailer itself. Under $100 to protect our $7,000 investment seems cheap.
It goes by the value of the trailer.
I'd call your agent and ask if your auto insurance carrier will also give you a
policy for the trailer.
Sell the stuff for a living.......Your liabiilty coverage on the auto/truck doing the pulling extends to the trailer being pulled. They have to be connected at the time. Comprehensive coverage deals with fire, theft, vandalism, malicious mischief, falling objects, animal collision and natural hazards minus flood normally. The collision pertains to the trailer coming in contact with something, upset and overturn. Only exception is the animal collision peril. Often your homeowners policy provides personal property coverage while away from your home. Varies from carrier to carrier. There are some carriers who offer specialized coverage for rv's but you normally pay for it. Make your agent (and others you contact) earn their commissions (normally 10% to 12% on those types of policies by the way) by asking for quotes for various carriers. The personal liability side is pretty big too. Confirm that your homeowner's policy covers you away from home and using the trailer. Lots of things can happen. Your dog eats a neighbors dog, someone trips over your bbq, some drunk falls into your firepit...you name it. I've seen claims from the surreal to the stupid over the past 28 years.
Jim Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:46 AM   #9

Trailer: 2008 19 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe 5th Wheel
jim - SOMEBODY will ask it.. might as well be me....

**They have to be connected at the time**

Does that mean that you have no coverage for damage done by the trailer if it disconnects while travelling down the road?

If, say, after separation, the now FREE little egg trailer goes wildly astray and, indeed, seems to AIM for that gi-normous sticky that our little eggs so despise.. you, know, the $500k rig.. which our little egg puts out of its misery?

Seriouly - damage afer it separates? Covered or not?

Quote:
Sell the stuff for a living.......Your liabiilty coverage on the auto/truck doing the pulling extends to the trailer being pulled. They have to be connected at the time. Comprehensive coverage deals with fire, theft, vandalism, malicious mischief, falling objects, animal collision and natural hazards minus flood normally. The collision pertains to the trailer coming in contact with something, upset and overturn. Only exception is the animal collision peril. Often your homeowners policy provides personal property coverage while away from your home. Varies from carrier to carrier. There are some carriers who offer specialized coverage for rv's but you normally pay for it. Make your agent (and others you contact) earn their commissions (normally 10% to 12% on those types of policies by the way) by asking for quotes for various carriers. The personal liability side is pretty big too. Confirm that your homeowner's policy covers you away from home and using the trailer. Lots of things can happen. Your dog eats a neighbors dog, someone trips over your bbq, some drunk falls into your firepit...you name it. I've seen claims from the surreal to the stupid over the past 28 years.
Alan Weinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:04 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
jim - SOMEBODY will ask it.. might as well be me....

**They have to be connected at the time**

Does that mean that you have no coverage for damage done by the trailer if it disconnects while travelling down the road?

If, say, after separation, the now FREE little egg trailer goes wildly astray and, indeed, seems to AIM for that gi-normous sticky that our little eggs so despise.. you, know, the $500k rig.. which our little egg puts out of its misery?

Seriouly - damage afer it separates? Covered or not?

I've seen those types of losses before and carriers have always covered them off the primary (pulling vehicle) coverage. The immediate disconnect is the factor. Insurance companies are trying to separate themselves from the personal liability losses coming from the rv. They want those covered as a homeowner's policy extension or off an rv policy which has the personal liability coverage. Bodily injury and property damage as a result of a towed vehicle tracks off the pulling rig. When adjusters look at proximate cause, a trailer coming disconnected and causing the loss is treated as one continuous event.
Jim Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:40 PM   #11

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
I had a blowout that tore up the side badly.
AAA said not covered. I have comprehensive.
Now have Scamp insurance. $45/year.
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:25 AM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
A good set of safety chains should keep your trailer connected!
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp