insurance question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2016, 07:35 AM   #1

Name: Jane
Trailer: Casita
Maine
insurance question

We will be picking up a used 2001 Casita tomorrow - 16ft Spirit Deluxe. Very excited and trying to get all our ducks in a row today. Insurance company told us that the liability is part of the tow vehicle so that is not an issue. Don't know any costs yet but just wondering about paying for collision / comprehensive and whether it is a good idea or not? Appreciate any thoughts / advice. Thanks in advance.
2farthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:52 AM   #2

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
I got Collision/Comprehensive through State Farm. $78/year. As you said, liability while towing is part of tow vehicle coverage, liability while not towing is an extension of homeowners.

Seems like cheap cost for peace of mind if a tree fell on it or it was stolen.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:36 AM   #3

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Comprehensive insurance coverage covers loss's caused "Act of God" situations such as Hail, storm, flying road debris glass breakage, theft & flood.

Collision insurance coverage covers accident damage loss's to YOUR trailer caused by YOU in an "At Fault" accident.

Answer this question given your own personal situation when deciding if you should buy "Comp & Collision" insurance coverage:

As CHEAP as both "Comp & Collision" insurance coverage is to purchase why would YOU want to accept the "Risk" of "Self Insuring" yourself and your trailer against these potential loss situations by NOT buying "Comp & Collision" coverage?

"I" can't think of any good reasons not to purchase "Comp & Collision" coverage on your trailer for as SMALL AMOUNT OF MONEY as the insurance company will you charge to assume these "Risks". That's what insurance does is transfer "Risk" of loss from YOU to the insurance company for fee.

Personally "I" think "Comp & Collision" insurance coverage on a RV trailer or any type of trailer is an absolute BARGAIN. "I" personally carry these coverage's on ALL my trailers including the RV/travel trailer.

Yes I have had a situation where I have filed a claim for these coverage's in the past. Covering that one loss alone paid for this coverage for YEARS to come!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:57 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I think the real issue for molded fiberglass trailers is establishing value in the event of a total loss. If the trailer is near-new, it's pretty straightforward. But if it's older (like your Casita), and especially if it's a restored vintage unit, you may find that the insurance company's idea of its value is far, far less than what it would cost to replace it with something comparable.

Consider that it doesn't take much to total an RV. Even a minor collision or a falling tree branch often results in a write-off due to the lightweight construction and high cost of repair.

Print out the NADA or KBB value of your 2001 Casita, collect a file of recent classified ads for similar units, and have a chat with your agent.

There are agreed-value policies, typically based on an appraisal. Not all insurers offer them, and they are much more expensive. They are typically for folks who have invested significant money and time restoring an older trailer.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:00 AM   #5

Name: ChrisAnn
Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17CB
Florida
When I talked to USAA today she asked what the trailer went for new (2004) I told her I have no idea but I could tell her the new ones go fo upwards of 40k. She asked what I am paying for it 14k for it she said they would insure it for 25k.
Solowalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:31 PM   #6

Name: Teresa
Trailer: Casita
Indiana
Progressive does vintage policies that you set value

This is who I work through on a 1978 Avion

Matt Polsdofer
FCIS Insurance
641-585-2925 - office
1-800-331-1520 – toll free
641-585-5166 - fax
http://www.fcisinsurance.com
ENFPRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 03:32 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
As you said, liability while towing is part of tow vehicle coverage, liability while not towing is an extension of homeowners.

PLEASE READ the fine print on all policies. The above is NOT TRUE of all insurance companies and/or in all states/provinces.

For example - one insurance company here does cover the trailer when attached to the tug but the other big insurance company does not!

My Homeowners policy does not cover the trailer when parked at home. It needs a separate insurance policy . Basically the Homeowners insurance policy position is if a vehicle or trailer legally requires registration and licence plate its not covered under a homeowners insurance policy.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:52 PM   #8

Name: Ken
Trailer: Acorn 13
Maryland
USAA Ins

My comp and collision trailer ins cost .72 cents a month with USAA ...
for 10K insurance ! woo hoo !!
Cordially
Ken
Ken Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:37 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Max View Post
Cordially
Ken
And, what will they pay for total loss?
$1,200 ??
Old 06-08-2016, 06:40 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Just hope no insurance totals an all-molded-towable using NADA. Pay attention!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 03:29 PM   #11

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
best advice....

is what Carol said : READ THE FINE PRINT!

insurance coverage is like strata rules (HOA rules in the states)...they are all over the map...

one important thing to remember is that insurance companies don't make money by collecting premiums...they make money by NOT paying out or underpaying claims!

My father was in the business. I have a very healthy distrust of the industry in general and have opted to self insure in one instance for a few years (trailersailor)

Happy motoring
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:26 PM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Max View Post
Cordially
Ken
I would be reading the fine print on that insurance VERY VERY carefully.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:34 PM   #13

Never heard of an insurance company that operates as a charity.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:52 PM   #14

Name: Larry
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Florida
Registry
Insurance for a 2004 Casita SD

We just purchased a 2004 17ft. Casita Spirit Deluxe and insured with Progressive through USAA. We paid $307 for a 12-month policy. Includes collision, comprehensive, personal effects, emergency expense and roadside assistance.

Rating base is $11,000 and any coverage will not exceed the rating base. Not sure what that means.

Larry
LarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:50 PM   #15

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I am not an insurance expert. You should consult one.

It sounds an awful lot like they are capping their overall liability at $11,000.

Any combination of, "collision, comprehensive, personal effects, emergency expense and roadside assistance" that reaches $11,000 would appear to cap their payout.

Collision insurance reimburses you for damage to your trailer.
Comprehensive covers damage to trailer from an event that is not a collision. Examples would include hail or a tree branch falling.

If your trailer were to become unhitched an hit an oncoming School bus, what covers your liability? Your auto policy?

If you can answer/live with that, everything is good. I don't mean to be flippant. The liability question is important.

But, I could be mistaken.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:30 PM   #16

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryT View Post
We just purchased a 2004 17ft. Casita Spirit Deluxe and insured with Progressive through USAA. We paid $307 for a 12-month policy. Includes collision, comprehensive, personal effects, emergency expense and roadside assistance.

Rating base is $11,000 and any coverage will not exceed the rating base. Not sure what that means.

Larry
Don't you have a personal agent who can explain it to you?
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:06 PM   #17

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Liability insurance coverage for any trailer extends from the liability insurance coverage on the tow vehicle. You cannot buy liability insurance coverage for a trailer. As such having the "Minimum" state required liability coverage will put you in a world of hurt.

As noted above:

Collision insurance coverage will pay for physical damage to your trailer caused by YOU the insured or damage to your trailer from others when "fault" is questioned or when your trailer is damaged by an unknown. Meaning if you are involved in an accident and are "At Fault" for the accident the insurance company will pay to repair or replace your trailer.

Comprehensive insurance coverage pays for "Act of God" types of loss including hail damage, tree damage, glass damage, storm damage etc.

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 02:00 PM   #18

Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 ft (My Burrito!)
I've had State Farm the nearly 30 years I've had my Burro! Had only 1 claim...when I had a blow out that put a hole in the side while traveling! They paid $1000.00 & no increase in premiums! I pay $28.00/year!
Karen L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 02:14 PM   #19

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
comprehensive usually covers things like theft, vandalism, too. not only theft of the trailer, but theft of the trailer contents.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:30 PM   #20

Liability may be attached to the tow vehicle where you live, but not where I live. I recommend that you discuss this with your agent.
You also need to know how much liability the insurance will pay before you have to sell your house to settle the rest of the claim.

I have purchased $5 million liability on my vehicle and $3 million for the trailer.
If you forget to place the chocks and your trailer rolls over a 22-year-old camper with two children and a wife and his injuries mean he can never work to support his family, for the rest of his life, I can assure you, even $3 million may not be enough.

Tags
casita