Is $13.5K reasonable for 1998 Scamp 16 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-01-2016, 01:34 PM   #1

Name: Teresa
Trailer: Casita
Indiana
Is $13.5K reasonable for 1998 Scamp 16

It seems to be loaded. Side dinette. Says in very good shape and pictures do seem to confirm that is in good shape.
ENFPRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:13 PM   #2

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Is it a deluxe?
That is higher than I would pay but is the season of high prices. You need to evaluate what it is worth to you and how many come up in your area etc.
Always good to see in person as sometimes pictures can make trailers look muvh better than in real life.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:55 PM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
For about 3K-- 4K more you can buy a brand new one, just sayin. You are not that far from Backus MN. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 03:43 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
For about 3K-- 4K more you can buy a brand new one, just sayin. You are not that far from Backus MN. Carl
Likely for 3-4K less you could buy that one.
It would need to be a Deluxe with all options, in great shape, to warrant 11K.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:03 PM   #5

Indiana
That is helpful, I thought it might be high. But not sure what to offer.
I have a packet coming from Scamp to check out for new. And I talked with Parkliner.
we are moving from a vintage to get something that won't need so much repair work....
Old 06-01-2016, 04:10 PM   #6

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
A really nice almost new trailer can command a price very close to the cost of a new trailer. Market conditions and limited supply have an effect on the situation. Late fall the prices might go down a little.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:12 PM   #7

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
1998 is NOT almost new !
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:59 PM   #8

Name: Hillary
Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
Washington
I think that is high! I just sold my 2005 Escape 17B for $13k, granted to a friend, but still. On quality I would put Escape above Scamp.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:24 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
1998 is NOT almost new !
I agree. You have to consider not so much the trailer but the appliances. 18 years going near 19 years is a lot of use or lack of use is not good and they are not cheap replacements, not counting the installation as well. That's why I went new. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:13 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillary View Post
I think that is high! I just sold my 2005 Escape 17B for $13k, granted to a friend, but still. On quality I would put Escape above Scamp.
I guess we can't "Escape" such comments, and you have a right to your opinion... however conceived.
Escape makes a fine trailer with a list of positives and negatives comparable with any other Fiberglass RV, so you can be secure in the knowledge that it is not necessary to knock other makes to make the Escape look good. Each is just right for the buyer whose needs it meets.

While I think you will find the Bigfoot to be a fine trailer as well....
I have not found a fiberglass trailer of any make for which I would trade my Scamp13D.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:17 PM   #11

Name: Hillary
Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
Washington
Oh I thought it was pretty clear the way I put it that I was stating my opinion and not fact! I have my friend's Scamp at my house to pretty up to sell since she lives far out in the country, and there are things I'm shaking my head at, like the rat fur on the inside of the door that gets dirty when the trailer sits with the door open while camping, and the fact that the front window is on such a curved surface if she towed in the rain a little bit of moisture always got in to the front bath. Hers is a 1990 though so things may have changed!

The list of upgrades I'm getting moving from the Escape to the Bigfoot is pretty extensive, and it's a 2008 in good shape that I bought for $13k. No matter what you think of Scamp quality versus the others, you have to admit that two of us buying much newer fiberglass trailers for the same price is proof that the price is high!
Old 06-01-2016, 08:40 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Oh I thought it was pretty clear the way I put it that I was stating my opinion and not fact! I have my friend's Scamp at my house to pretty up to sell since she lives far out in the country, and there are things I'm shaking my head at, like the rat fur on the inside of the door that gets dirty when the trailer sits with the door open while camping, and the fact that the front window is on such a curved surface if she towed in the rain a little bit of moisture always got in to the front bath. Hers is a 1990 though so things may have changed!

The list of upgrades I'm getting moving from the Escape to the Bigfoot is pretty extensive, and it's a 2008 in good shape that I bought for $13k. No matter what you think of Scamp quality versus the others, you have to admit that two of us buying much newer fiberglass trailers for the same price is proof that the price is high!
OK, maybe it is necessary for some folks.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:52 AM   #13

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
what did a 1998 Scamp 16 cost when new?

Your probably want to have the brakes, tires, bearings gone through as soon as you get it and probably a new battery. So add another 500 or more bills to that price.

I figure 1/2 life half price and add another 25% if it's a cherry like new unused rig stored in a controlled environment. Reality is somewhere between the 2 extremes. If it's local and you don't have to spend a dime to check it out it's worth more than one you have to spend 500 bucks just to get to just to see it.

Lets face it a 20 year old rig is still going to give you some headaches.
Are the propane bottles current? when was the pressure regulator and hoses last replaced. How about the water pumps and water heater. Were the windows and vents ever resealed and the rivet caps ever replaced?

This all adds up especially if you don't do the work yourself.

If this is a properly priced rig we wouldn't be having this conversation. It would have been gone already. Unless you have a special inside line.

Whats it worth to you to buy new and put off camping until next year?
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:45 PM   #14

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
Wow - that's a bit too high of a price for that age. You might consider having an RV repairman evaluate condition/needed repairs, estimated repair cost to help you make the decision of what to offer.
Best of luck.
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:50 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
what did a 1998 Scamp 16 cost when new?

Your probably want to have the brakes, tires, bearings gone through as soon as you get it and probably a new battery. So add another 500 or more bills to that price.

I figure 1/2 life half price and add another 25% if it's a cherry like new unused rig stored in a controlled environment. Reality is somewhere between the 2 extremes. If it's local and you don't have to spend a dime to check it out it's worth more than one you have to spend 500 bucks just to get to just to see it.

Lets face it a 20 year old rig is still going to give you some headaches.
Are the propane bottles current? when was the pressure regulator and hoses last replaced. How about the water pumps and water heater. Were the windows and vents ever resealed and the rivet caps ever replaced?

This all adds up especially if you don't do the work yourself.

If this is a properly priced rig we wouldn't be having this conversation. It would have been gone already. Unless you have a special inside line.

Whats it worth to you to buy new and put off camping until next year?
The assumption being that no one does the maintenance when needed???...
You make some valid points,but every valid point you have made above would apply to the purchase of a 3YO trailer.

I have sold 30 year old trailers for three times the original price and worth every penny. In fact when I sold one 1978 Scamp13, the buyers immediately lived in it and traveled for three months without incident. They then went home and sold it for more than they paid.

After about ten years or so (maybe less), the YEAR becomes only a number on a title, nothing more...condition , features and availability would be determining factors.
A well maintained twenty YO trailer could easily be worth more than some neglected and abused 5YO trailers.

When my trailer is sold, probably from my estate, it will be ready to go on any trip the buyer chooses and it will still have working features which are not available from the factory.
Of course anything can break at anytime from the day of manufacture, that's why they have warranties.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:19 AM   #16

Indiana
You have all helped me a great deal. We are planning to sell our vintage Avion Class C because we don't want to have to deal with ongoing repair needs or pay for a complete upgrade.
So we are looking at buying a new Casita, it was less than we expected and we can avoid some pitfalls.

Thank you all!
Old 06-29-2016, 11:01 AM   #17

Name: Jake
Trailer: 2017 Casita SD
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENFPRN View Post
You have all helped me a great deal. We are planning to sell our vintage Avion Class C because we don't want to have to deal with ongoing repair needs or pay for a complete upgrade.
So we are looking at buying a new Casita, it was less than we expected and we can avoid some pitfalls.

Thank you all!

I've been lurking on here for the last few months shopping for a "new" camper.

After watching ads at what I considered very high prices for 10 years old or more Scamps and Casitas, and seeing them sell quickly I decided to buy new as well.

I think there is a misconception about how much Scamps and Casitas are new. I talked to one seller who said it would be a new comparable scamp to his '98 would be "at least $25k." I saw similar things in other ads. I had assumed with their growing popularity it was true.

I decided to call and find out. A fairly loaded Scamp 16 is around $17,500. Casita is very similar.
I put a deposit down on a 2017 Casita 16 SD with about all the options for tick over $18k. The 17' was $1200 more.

I had an interesting conversation with the Casita rep about used prices. He said they see many 1-2 year old Casitas sell for more than they cost new.
I did see several ads for newish 16' and 17' Casitas for $19k or more.

Maybe I'll use it for a season, sell for a profit and order another one.
Poorhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:38 AM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
On quality I would put Escape above Scamp.

As would most people who have experienced both who do not exhibit blind loyalty to Scamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 06-29-2016, 01:32 PM   #19

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Teresa - how exciting, make sure to keep us updated.
Jake - you are right, you definitely want to find out prices for new before you possibly overpay for used
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 02:45 PM   #20

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Always a fun discussion

Fiberglass trailers are always a conversation waiting to happen, parked in a Newfoundland campground one person came over to look at our Scamp. The discussion often begins with the age, our's is 25. Of course no one believes it, probably not about most any trailer. 25 Really??

The discussion sometimes turns to how is it different from newer models. Mostly by our modifications. Ginny is quick to say we can't get a new one because we'd have to do all the mods.

Sometimes when you buy used you get a problem or two, but sometimes you get a lot of bonuses... like solar panels, like all LED lighting, like extra AC/DC outlets, added storage, shelving and pantry, drawers and cabinets, under trailer storage, tire sensors, break away switch, ....

Ginny says if we were very wealthy she doubts we replace our trailer...we might replace the floor carpeting, or maybe buy a lithium battery, or.... all things we'll probably do one of these days.

Everytime we take a trip we come away with an improvement from people we meet or things we discover. Usually we come home and add something. It becomes more of what we need, not a compromise.

If someone has loved their trailer, used their trailer, it's could be better than any factory trailer. Like Floyd I expect our trailer to be part of our estate and hopefully a better trailer than it is today.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp