Is $13.5K reasonable for 1998 Scamp 16 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2016, 02:58 PM   #21

Name: Jake
Trailer: 2017 Casita SD
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Fiberglass trailers are always a conversation waiting to happen, parked in a Newfoundland campground one person came over to look at our Scamp. The discussion often begins with the age, our's is 25. Of course no one believes it, probably not about most any trailer. 25 Really??

The discussion sometimes turns to how is it different from newer models. Mostly by our modifications. Ginny is quick to say we can't get a new one because we'd have to do all the mods.

Sometimes when you buy used you get a problem or two, but sometimes you get a lot of bonuses... like solar panels, like all LED lighting, like extra AC/DC outlets, added storage, shelving and pantry, drawers and cabinets, under trailer storage, tire sensors, break away switch, ....

Ginny says if we were very wealthy she doubts we replace our trailer...we might replace the floor carpeting, or maybe buy a lithium battery, or.... all things we'll probably do one of these days.

Everytime we take a trip we come away with an improvement from people we meet or things we discover. Usually we come home and add something. It becomes more of what we need, not a compromise.

If someone has loved their trailer, used their trailer, it's could be better than any factory trailer. Like Floyd I expect our trailer to be part of our estate and hopefully a better trailer than it is today.

Norm - Those are great points about buying used from a caring owner. Finding a caring owner can be the trick.
We plan to keep our Casita for a long time. That was partly the reason we went with a new one. The extra few thousand dollars it cost now spread over 30 years is minimal. Yes we plan to use it for 30 years (or more). My wife and I are both 44 now and have a 6 year old. We will use it seasonally with our son until he is through school and we are retired. Then we will (hopefully) use it more frequently.
Stories like yours are a great inspiration.
Poorhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:58 PM   #22

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Poor house,
I'm not opposed to buying new. At my age it wouldn't make much sense. We do buy new tow vehicles and our plan is always to keep them for 10 years and replace them. Reliability is paramount because I've never been a vehicle person.

Wish you well over the next 30 years.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp