Is this price fair? 13' 1995 Scamp for $5500 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-12-2013, 08:17 AM   #15

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by scamping View Post
Especially if there are still remnants of the plumbing still underneath what we see. That sounds like added weight with no benefit.
lol Austin even if it was your talking ounces of pvc and or rubber hose...not black iron pipe

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:18 AM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Along with price, there's also location, location, location! When was the last time you saw a Scamp in your (reasonable) driving area at this kind of price and this kind of condition? If they're a rare bird, that may motivate you a bit more... or not.

Looks like some of the plumbing is still hanging from the "bathroom" wall. I kinda like the modification. As a single traveler, there's now a full time bed (with opening window) and because some of the wall was left, it may be fairly easy to remod it back to a bathroom... or at least a toilet room... sometime in the future.

There are plenty of folks that have put in A/C, not on the roof. So while it may not be stock, it doesn't necessarily mean what was done is a bad thing. One good point, is "home" style A/C is a lot cheaper to replace than the spendy roof mounted type.

Good luck with your decision. And let us know how it goes.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:34 AM   #17

Name: Mr
Trailer: small
State
Hmm... looking a little closer at the picture, I think maybe I do see a seam in the rat fur, about 6" to the right of the window, which would be the right location. So, I am casting my vote that this started life as a front-bath model, and got changed over when space was needed for either a third person, or when they found the double bed to be too narrow for two. I do really like the layout, though. It would have worked great for our family of three.

Donna, I think what you saw is a bungee cord hanging from the handle of the pantry door. Or did I miss something else?

Again, if these renovations were done well, they are not to be feared. It is only if they are cobbled up that it is a problem. I will say that I don't like the layout of the stock 13' Scamp, and if I bought one, the first thing I would do is take out the front bunks and replace them with a dinette. (Why doesn't Scamp offer this as a stock layout?) And, I would gladly sacrifice 6" of cabinet and counter for a 54" bed (as found in the Custom Deluxe).
Old 06-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1986 Bigfoot FT20
Michigan
1995 Scamp SCAMP-13 PACKAGE Standard Equipment, Prices & Specs - NADAguides

We all know book valve doesn't mean anything, so here it is.
This camper has been heavily modified and, will need lots of work to make you own.
This is a re-fixer upper. Do yourself a favor and walk away.
( only my two cents )
Old 06-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #19
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I wouldn't buy a rig without inspecting it in person first. If you plan on owning it for several years a poor decision will haunt you - every time you use it you'll be less than happy with it. I was fortunate that I could make a one day trip from Portland, Oregon to Denver, inspect, do the deal at his local bank with an inter-bank funds transfer, and fly home with title in hand.

I paid a price some would consider slightly high, but that was because the PO had already done several mods I would have done and his workmanship was excellent.........

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #20

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Agreed, the key phrase being "in good shape". There are many factors that one cannot see from just pictures. There is great value in using the Buyers Check List in the Document Center.

A 1995 is 18 years old. The axle should have been replaced or needing one soon. Having one replaced is about $1000. It is hard to tell the need from the angle of the picture. The bed in what is normally the front washroom seems a little strange to me.
Many axles last twice that long and replacement is hardly more than half that much.
You are, of course, correct that the caveat is germane, floor condition being paramount.
I think you may be looking at an aftermarket mod which provides a private sleeping space in front...Odd,but not unheard of.
Reiterating the caveat, it must be said that resale is always a possibility. I've never had one for sale for more than 3 days before it was gone. That should mitigate any risk at purchase,of course hesitation is a risk all it's own.
Another point, never offer more than you are willing to pay.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #21

Name: Austin
Trailer: In the market
Florida
Hi Guys,
Thanks for all of the great feedback. I am going to do the right thing here and let this one pass me by. I just dont feel good about it in my gut.
Thanks
Old 06-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #22

Florida
ok, I have a lead on another one...let me know what you guys think. 2012 13' all factory in immaculate condition. It has factory A/C and 3 way fridge. 8.5k is the final number we are talking. Seem like a good price?
Old 06-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #23

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Look here to get a feel for what Scamps have sold for in the past. These are advertised prices, but my guess is that not a lot of discounting is going on in this market.

Scamp Trailers SOLD | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Old 06-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #24

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Look here to get a feel for what Scamps have sold for in the past. These are advertised prices, but my guess is that not a lot of discounting is going on in this market.

Scamp Trailers SOLD | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
ok, this helps. Looks like 8.5k is definitely very fair. I dont know if it is a steal but it seems like a good price
Old 06-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #25

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by scamping View Post
ok, this helps. Looks like 8.5k is definitely very fair. I dont know if it is a steal but it seems like a good price
It is only money.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #26

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Or you could wait a month and pay about another $1000 for the same trailer. This is the time of the year when prices are going up, up, up and buying quick, esp in states like CA and FL can become the only way to actually buy what you want.

All that said, be sure to have a few $$$ tucked away, there WILL be after purchase expenses. Repacking bearings, new tires (how old are those on it now ???), registration & taxes and outfitting your vehicle to tow, just to name a few.

Good Luck
Old 06-12-2013, 01:00 PM   #27

Name: Mr
Trailer: small
State
But, if your hard upper limit is $5000...
Old 06-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #28

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E Henning View Post
But, if your hard upper limit is $5000...
ha..right. Funny how that changes when a deal comes along. I am thinking about really stretching it to get the 2011. It just seems like 18 years of wear and tear would be really nice to avoid for another 3k.

Tags
scamp