Is this Risky Business? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-06-2008, 06:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 1970 Campster
Unhappy

Hi all! I may have found a nice trailer for a decent price but I'm concerned that this trailer may have some DMV issues or is perhaps stolen. Please help me sort this out.

The seller says, "The only thing bad is the plate is not here yet. Have to take the trailer to DMV to get it. We don't want to mess with it, so we're selling it at much less than actual value. The tires are OK but if you want new ones, I work at the Firestone and will put new ones on for you AT MY COST. That would be about $100 for the pair, and another $50 if you wanted a brand new spare tire."

Furthermore, it's hard to tell if he actually has plates on the front of his truck in the picture. It really doesn't look like it. How can I find out if he's the real deal or not before I buy the trailer? Should I ask for the VIN number and do an online vehicle check? Is that enough?

I'd really appreciate the benefit of your experience and wisdom on this one! Thanks in advance!
Lisa H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:12 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Uhm.. why no plates?

Make him get the plates and tags and pay him fair value for it. It won't cost him that much or be so hard to do if it's legit that it warrants a deep discount as he suggests.

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I thought this sounded vaguely familiar, we've had a fairly recent posting about DMV and missing titles and wanting to sell and letting the buyer handle it... so it's similar. You might want to read the discussion Lisa here:
Rare Casita 16' Fiberglass Trailer
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
About 10 years ago I got a good buy on a travel traileer with expired plates. By the time I paid the prior years DMV fees and penalties it cost me almost $400.00.
Gina has good advice, have him get the plates and registration.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:07 PM   #5

Trailer: Quantum-5 5th Wheel 1980

Does he have the title for it? That is very important. If he does you can call your DMV and get the amount due for the plates and the feees by giving them the VIN number.
He may have lost the title and that can be checked and can be replaced fairly esaily providing that DMV shows that he is the legal owner. If they don't show him as the legal owner my advice would be run like hell.
Ron
Ron Wrighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:29 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Depends on the state.

Some states, Vermont for example, don't require title on trailers less than 1,000 lbs, so I didn't get one with my 91 Scamp 13' (there's than fictitious 950 lbs again!). Was able to talk second tag bureau in Florida into giving title based on Vermont law copy and bill of sale from RV dealer who had it on commission -- First bureau wouldn't do it because Florida considers it an RV, not a trailer, so No Title = No Tag...

With proper caution, this is an opportunity, not a scam. From what's posted so far, I personally don't smell scam and would walk the particulars past the Kansas DMV. Happens with small boats, esp paddle like canoe or kayak, because some states require title/registration and some don't.

Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:41 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Smells fishy to me. Have the guy go with you to the DMV or Auto Club to transfer title. Does he have title in hand?
Old 04-07-2008, 05:59 PM   #8

Registry
OK Pete, she ain't in Kansas anymore...(Where is my monkey when I need it?)

It's a California trailer. The owner does NOT have title in hand, only BOS and copies of the old title, but not originals.

It probably is legit, but he needs to get the paper himself and not pass it off on someone else. California WILL give you paper if you can prove ownership, with some effort, but it's HIS responsibility and headache to do so.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:13 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
It's a California trailer. The owner does NOT have title in hand, only BOS and copies of the old title, but not originals.
Even if it is legit the "buyer" will be responsible for three years back reg and penalties if it hasn't been kept current. The state wants it's money. Been there and done that.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:25 PM   #10

Registry
Thats why it's his headache to
Old 04-07-2008, 06:58 PM   #11

Angry

I decided to let this one go. I called him requesting the VIN#, which should be located on the Bill of Sale and other documents in his possession, and the seller claims that there is too much paint on the trailer and the VIN is unreadable at this point. He now says this is the reason the DMV must inspect the trailer and issue a new VIN# but he first said that the DMV had lost the original title. Additionally, the seller asserts that trailer is worth $4000 because that is how much they sell on Ebay and he (generously) has lowered the price to $2950 to offset the DMV issues which he is unwilling to deal with. He thinks $2950 is a terrific bargain and is quite firm with his price. The trailer is nice but not in fantastic condition nor does it include loads of bells and whistles. This guy is quite frustrated with potential buyers whom he calls "Craigslist flakes " who express interest in his trailer but decline to purchase it. I'm quite confident that he has heard the same concerns from each person who calls on the Burro. He may very well be legit and is now suffering from a previous seller's mistake. I'm not up for paying big bucks to take on someone else's headache. If you enjoy a DMV challenge and have time on your hands then feel free to check out this Burro on the San Diego Craigslist. I am going a different direction at this point. Vaya con dios! Thanks for all your input!
Old 04-07-2008, 08:25 PM   #12

The Burro seller just sent me a message saying that someone has placed a $200 deposit on the trailer to hold it until Friday.