I've Got Those DMV Blues! - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #41

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
Just want to give an attagirl for my local DMV. Virginia DMV's generally have a bad rep as to their efficiency and loooong wait lines. That said, when I registered my Snoozy using only the paperwork that Alan Smoak provided, I was in and out the door in less than 30 minutes with title and plates in hand.

As a former public servant (and now in the private sector) I can say that if you treat people with respect (and maintain a sense of humor re the bureaucracy) then you will most likely be treated similarly.
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:38 AM   #42

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
When I was in law enforcement the rule was: if the vehicle is legally licensed in its home state then it is legal to operate in all states. I believe there may be a federal law that prohibits states from discriminating against vehicles from other states in regard to vehicle licenses.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #43

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Not true everywhere. I won't make assumptions for the rest of N.A. but in British Columbia the tow vehicle insurance does not cover the trailer.
I was of course talking about the U.S.
I'm not sure what the rules are in foreign countries.
We have some states which don't even title or register trailers under certain sizes. Freedom isn't as dangerous as some folks seem to think.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #44

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I was of course talking about the U.S.
Of course
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #45

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Of course, since trailers require no insurance except that provided by the tow vehicle, the insurance issue is moot.
I think a few places require it, and even if thy don't, I HIGHLY recommend asking your insurance company. For example, if I hit somebody with my car trailer, their damage would be covered under my pickup insurance, my trailer and its contents are NOT covered.

I have a separate $20k policy on the trailer for that reason, costs another $25/yr or so. I will be doing a stated or appraised value policy for the scamp for the same reason.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #46

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
When I was in law enforcement the rule was: if the vehicle is legally licensed in its home state then it is legal to operate in all states. I believe there may be a federal law that prohibits states from discriminating against vehicles from other states in regard to vehicle licenses.
Nope, at least not for some things. Window tint is a problem, along with lift laws, I know. Most states grant it out of generosity, but aren't required to by any laws. As a North Dakota resident in Colorado, I was pulled over several times for a lifted vehicle. It fell in their standards, though (4",IIRC).
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #47

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I think a few places require it, and even if thy don't, I HIGHLY recommend asking your insurance company. For example, if I hit somebody with my car trailer, their damage would be covered under my pickup insurance, my trailer and its contents are NOT covered.
This is true with all liability coverage I've ever had- whatever (including towing) the owner is doing with the covered vehicle that leads to damages to someone else's person/property is covered.

I'm surprised to hear that the same doesn't hold true in Canada!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:04 PM   #48

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Most vehicle ins policies that also cover the trailer only cover for liability, not for collision. As there are soooo many variables, each individual should check their own policies to determine coverage limits. That could mean in a single vehicle accident (you) that there is no damage coverage for the trailer. I have Allstate and always take out an additional policy for collision.

Although I have never heard of the MA situation, "Reciproicity" (sp?) may only cover permanent tags in some states.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #49

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post

I have a separate $20k policy on the trailer for that reason, costs another $25/yr or so. I will be doing a stated or appraised value policy for the scamp for the same reason.
Comp and collision could hardly be mandatory anywhere, unless you have a lein,then it would be only a condition of the loan.
We carry a separate policy on our trailer as well. Although we can't find a stated value policy, we do have a symbol which is high enough to sustain an argument should a loss occur.
At any rate, liability is attached to the TV policy when towing.
I know of no place in the U.S. which requires a separate policy and certainly no place which could interfer with a legal policy issued in my home state.
As for foriegn travel...Is there an American here who is aware of any special requirement when traveling in Canada?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #50

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I have travelled in Canada a lot and I always find the following to be "special" requirements when entering:

1. Bring lots of money
and
2. Leave your handguns at home..... (Yea)

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #51

Registry
Quote:
Is there an American here who is aware of any special requirement when traveling in Canada?
By International Agreement, I'm not allowed in Canada.

Francesca
Old 04-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #52

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
This is true with all liability coverage I've ever had- whatever (including towing) the owner is doing with the covered vehicle that leads to damages to someone else's person/property is covered.

I'm surprised to hear that the same doesn't hold true in Canada!

Francesca
I don't think anybody specified liability coverage. It was stated that the tow vehicle insurance coverage also covered the trailer. Not everywhere.

It costs me $23 for my licence tag, and I have Basic Coverage $24 ( required ) and $2,000,000 Third Party Liability $18 ( required ). In addition, I pay $207 for deluxe Full Replacement ( $250 deductible ). It also covers personal property etc.

Whether your trailer is covered by the tow vehicle policy in the U.S., or in Canada, is between you and your insurance company.

I carry $3 million uninsured motorist policy as well, just in case I get hit by somebody without or with inadequate insurance.

baglo
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #53

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
By International Agreement, I'm not allowed in Canada.

Francesca
What did you do, or is it classified?

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #54

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M. in NY View Post
What did you do, or is it classified?
My Groundbreaking Study of Canadian Dangerousness got back to the Ministry of Makeniceness, who immediately ordered Troops to the border between Hadlock and Canada....sole responsibility being to prevent any northward movements on my part.

I'd like to state that I'm getting tired of feeding him and wish he'd go home.

Francesca