Moving Violation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2008, 02:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Well, I've been driving since 1957... this is a first. We have those cameras in Santa Clarita and yup, I was over the yellow line.

I haven't received a ticket since 1960... and I guess traffic school is next for me. I want to keep it off my record - paying the $381 plus traffic school is bad enough.

My questions..

Have you been to traffic school?

Is On-line better?

What do I have to look forward to?

CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:48 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I did online traffic school. Uhm.. it was someone else that did the violation and oh gee.. I was collared in a case of mistaken identity!

Try The Comdey Traffic School

No, this isn't a joke.. it is a real school,

but the course seems a bit of a joke.. it's too easy and gets you out of the point. You take your test at any # of listed testing stations.. I did mine at a Farmers Insurance Office at Lake Arrowhead.. took all of 15 mins and I was done.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:34 PM   #3

Trailer: 81 Trillium 5500 (Pearl)
Some unnamed people in our household have had to deal with traffic school. The consensus was that in Florida at least, it was better to attend the actual traffic school (yes, we do have the comedy club ones) than to do the online course. The online course was timed and you couldn't skip ahead and take the test. You had to keep the computer program open for the alloted hours (I think it was 4) before you could get the credit. If you logged out early you lost the credit.

Kathy

Kathy & Doug Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:36 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
This was not the case here. You could come and go as you pleased with this one.. spend ten minutes or ten hours.. didn't matter.

You DO have to complete the course/test within the # of days allowed on your ticket tho, and file your completion cert. by "X" date to get out of the ticket.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:34 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
OK ... well; I was given the opportuniity to attend Traffic School on more than one occasion.

I opted to do the classes and have learned from them all.

I always considered myself a good driver, learning to drive in England and passing an English test, which is way harder than the FL test at least. Driven in Scotland in deep snow and on ice, through pea-soup fogs, avoiding the more sensible than the US, Scottish Deer and not so sensible sheep. Driven at high speed on the German Autobahn with it's required discipline.

However, the classes I attended were run by cops and I learned quite a few things that were definitely not in the FL test and which definitely helped my understanding of and how to deal with the chaos of the American driving experience.

I recommend to take the class.
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:40 AM   #6

Name: Rodney
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
read the material, went and had a beer, polished the car, came in and took the test...passed every time ...move on the next one, rinse and repeat!

Here is the one I used https://www.bestonlinetrafficschool.co
rodney.yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:32 PM   #7

Name: Dillon
Trailer: Thinking really hard
Texas
I won't name her, although we are related by marriage. She did the on-line and yes, it seemed like a real PITA and took more than the "required" four hours, but that was because it had mandatory breaks. There were also checkpoint spots where she could pause it and go off and do other stuff. Like "you should have thought of that before we left". But the test was for the most part obvious stuff. She was also advised to carry the notice of dismissal for two years and to contact the city clerk's office about a month later to make sure there were no warrants.

Me? I don't think the Bob Bondurant School nor the Skip Barber School would count. And the one time I got pulled over and the officer said "okay Mario, let's see your racing license" it took all of my will power to not hand it to him. As it was he said "I clocked you at 55 in a 50. Chill it a little" and walked off. I think handing him my SCCA or NHRA license would have been good for a ticket for 50.5 in a 50.
dmpyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:20 PM   #8

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
My one moving violation in many, many years (if ever--I forget) was in Colorado several years ago, when doing 60 mph in a 75mph zone, I-25, I was in the granny lane and failed to move over to the sandwich lane when passing two state trooper cruisers parked on the right shoulder--No flashing lights. I was towing, just didn't have time to react and be certain no one was on my left. Maybe a senior thing? They went after me immediately. When I responded, "I didn't know it was a law..." that got me $160 plus 3 points.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 10:36 PM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpyron View Post
Me? I don't think the Bob Bondurant School nor the Skip Barber School would count. And the one time I got pulled over and the officer said "okay Mario, let's see your racing license" it took all of my will power to not hand it to him. As it was he said "I clocked you at 55 in a 50. Chill it a little" and walked off. I think handing him my SCCA or NHRA license would have been good for a ticket for 50.5 in a 50.
Great story Dillon and I think you keeping it in your wallet worked out best but......he did ask to see it .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:01 AM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
heh, I might just have answered, 'actually, yes, since you ask, here...' if I had my wallet out already to extract my regular DL... at least around here, hardly ever does anyone get stopped for +5 except in a school zone or something.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:32 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
There is only one appropriate reply, "Yes Sir".
Old 12-16-2018, 02:20 AM   #12

Mid Left Coast
I used to get an average of about 1 speeding ticket per year, i was driving a lot of miles, between commuting, and weekend touring on a BMW sport-touring motorcycle.

i've been stopped for ridiculous speeds, and given a warning, and I've been given tickets for 5 over when I was going 15 over. i'm always respectful and treat the police like the professionals they are. when on my bike, ideally, I'd have toe bike parked and my helmet and gloves off before the cop could get out of his car, and explain why I had to go in my tank bag for my wallet, and under the back seat for my registration and insurance papers. only very occasionally did a CHP or whatever be a total hardnose and give me a full ride ticket, like 80 in a 55 (I had just passed a semi-truck I'd been stuck behind for 30 minutes going 35 on a 2-lane stretch of US395, finally a short straight with a dotted line, zwing, I blow past truck, cop with radar was right there tagging me before i backed down to cruise speed). THAT ticket was expensive.

I haven't had a ticket in like 10 years, but I don't drive anywhere near the miles I used to, either.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:34 AM   #13

Mid Left Coast
oh. online schools, all the way. if they are the stupid timed things, I'll use my laptop to run the class while using my PC ... but most of them, I can get through the whole 8 hour 'class' in about 90 minutes.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:56 PM   #14

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolnJim View Post
Well, I've been driving since 1957... this is a first. We have those cameras in Santa Clarita and yup, I was over the yellow line.

I haven't received a ticket since 1960... and I guess traffic school is next for me. I want to keep it off my record - paying the $381 plus traffic school is bad enough.

My questions..

Have you been to traffic school?

Is On-line better?

What do I have to look forward to?

$381 for being over a yellow line? What's J-walking?....the death penalty?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:56 PM   #15

Name: Ken
Trailer: None
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
My one moving violation in many, many years (if ever--I forget) was in Colorado several years ago, when doing 60 mph in a 75mph zone, I-25, I was in the granny lane and failed to move over to the sandwich lane when passing two state trooper cruisers parked on the right shoulder--No flashing lights. I was towing, just didn't have time to react and be certain no one was on my left. Maybe a senior thing? They went after me immediately. When I responded, "I didn't know it was a law..." that got me $160 plus 3 points.

In Florida you might have gotten out of the ticket.
I went by a North Port officer pulled off the side of the road with no flashers or lights on. I noticed he appeared to be looking at his computer as I saw a big white square to his side.
Next thing I know he was behind me with his lights on and ticketed me for failure to change lanes. I took it to court and won. Of course having it on a dashcam helped immensely. The judge looked at it and chewed him out for wasting his and my time.Just in case I have been avoiding North Port.

Edit also it is legal to stay in the lane in Florida you just have to slow to 20 under the speed limit. Sounds like they have North Port type LEO up there too as here is the law there.

Colorado

State law requires drivers approaching stationary emergency vehicles that are displaying flashing lights, including tow trucks, traveling in the same direction, to vacate the lane closest, if safe and possible to do so, or to reduce to a speed safe for weather, road, and traffic conditions. Also included in the law are utility vehicles and road maintenance vehicles.
Kenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:36 PM   #16

Mid Left Coast
I believe in California, its slow to 45, or change to the left lane. as in most urbanized areas, all lanes are almost always full of traffic, the pull over option isn't very practical... been a few times when I've simply not been able to SEE the emergency vehicle due to something large and massive in front of me blocking all sight lines, so if that massive vehicle hasn't slowed, its too late for me to hit the brakes by the time I see them, especially if I'm being tailgated
Old 12-21-2018, 03:06 PM   #17

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
Automatic traffic camera tickets have one purpose and one purpose only. That is to use the criminal justice system to extort money from the public. Public safety and accident reduction have absolutely nothing to do with it. They do not reduce the accident rate. The companies that install these cameras sell them to local "officials" by the promise of the "revenue" they will generate. The camera company gets a percentage of that revenue. The fine for speeding tickets has grown from $30 or $40 twenty years ago to $300 or $400 today. This introduces corruption into the justice system.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:46 PM   #18

Name: Dillon
Trailer: Thinking really hard
Texas
Talking

In Texas the law says move left or reduce speed by 10 mph. Unfortunately the law was originally very poorly written. Instead of "by 10 mph" it said (everybody's figure this out by now) "to 10 mph" . Fortunately all but the most greedy LE agencies read it as intent and if you were doing 45 in a 55 they said "okay". The law got fixed. Two years later. But it was done as a "designated emergency", which meant it went into effect 10 days after it was signed, and was passed "immediately", as opposed to having to wait until the 41st day of the lege.

The joke in Texas has always been that the Constitution says 150 days every 2 years but it was supposed to say 2 days every 150 years. "No man's life, liberty or property is safe as long as the Texas legislature is in session".
dmpyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:39 PM   #19

Name: aj
Trailer: Roamer TC
Georgia
I got a $120 ticket for a flat tire on trailer. I had a left flat so pulled on the left of interstate in middle of desert. Apparently that is illegal, though much safer with no shoulders to pull off to the right on.
Another time I got a warning for "swerving" , err, being with an out of state tag, he was just harassing me for anything to get me in jail. He had passed me and gotten ½ mile in front of me and claimed he saw me swerve, but we all know it took him that long to realize that I had an out of state tag and he wanted to collect ticket money for nothing knowing unlikely I would drive 5 states over for a later court date.
I got a dash cam after that, sadly, to protect myself from those who are supposed to protect us.
Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote