New vs used - price differential poll - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-12-2013, 10:34 PM   #15

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
I found a deal on a 4 year old scamp 16 standard, $10k, plus 1k for the tv, a 2000 dodge dakota v8 4.7l 4x4. The engine had just been rebuilt. My Scamp is the front bunk side bath with frige, stove , heater, sink etc. No idea what the new price is. The po got sick and needed to unload it. As Donna said, it really depends on what's out there. I looked for months then fell into this deal.

It needs to be thoroughly cleaned and is missing the battery and propane tank, but I am camping my way home in it now.

I stopped by camping world and picked up a real door latch which I will install tomorrow. My tt spent the last year closed up on the ocean front in maine. Lots to do.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #16

Name: Jane
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
California
Thanks everyone!

Old 08-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #17

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
I would not discount sweat equity purchase of used if one has the knowledge to properly assess difference between easy/cheap repairs and improvements vs difficult/expensive tasks.

Sometimes a modest price for a sound camper with "good bones" but poor curb appeal can be a really good deal.

Can be an even better deal if you have custom modifications you wish to make, why pay for factory features if you plan to take them out to replace with your own unique modifications.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
When I bought mine used I was looking for about 1/2 price of new with condition about 80% of new. I dont want to pay the government more than I have to with sales/registration and in my state property tax. Plus where the fun doing the upgrades and repairs if you buy new. I am pickey on how stuff should be done and a new trailer with their rush to production and cost cutting ways would irk the pants off me. When done with my upgrades I will be about 75% of new cost but done my way. At least if something doesn't work or leaks its my fault. If I had to pay for labor too it would be twice the price of new.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #19

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
I would suggest that other than repairs that are necessary to maintain the function of a used trailer in a state that is comparable to that of a new trailer (i.e. fix leaks, repair rotting floors, fix broken appliances, etc), 90 percent of modifications made by most owners will result in little or no added value to a used trailer (in real $). To me, a well thought out shelf here or there, or a light fixture, or some similarly useful mod increases the plusses of a trailer, but does little to increase its value. Like most things, there will be exceptions, and I am sure there are mods that can impact the value (upwards). However, the situations where a lightly used trailer with mods is worth more than the original new purchase price are very rare.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #20

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
I would suggest that other than repairs that are necessary to maintain the function of a used trailer in a state that is comparable to that of a new trailer (i.e. fix leaks, repair rotting floors, fix broken appliances, etc), 90 percent of modifications made by most owners will result in little or no added value to a used trailer (in real $). To me, a well thought out shelf here or there, or a light fixture, or some similarly useful mod increases the plusses of a trailer, but does little to increase its value. Like most things, there will be exceptions, and I am sure there are mods that can impact the value (upwards). However, the situations where a lightly used trailer with mods is worth more than the original new purchase price are very rare.
Are you saying that I wasted my time carefully crafting fiberglass tail fins onto my FG trailer?
Old 08-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #21

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Are you saying that I wasted my time carefully crafting fiberglass tail fins onto my FG trailer?
I guess you should have went with beer holders instead.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #22

Name: J
Trailer: Escape 19
Delaware
I bought mine from a member here also CPAHarley, I paid less then it cost him to get it to this coast by a bit his factory options are what I would have done with the exception of one item which is easily fixed...I will be changing one other choice to a similar but I hope more useful to me choice IE microwave to micro/ convection oven. But I recieved it now not next spring when the season starts and the costs for all the other items to go with are at thier highest. I also recieved essentially a turn key unit to include hitch, internal upgrades that I would have done to mention a few stereo/TV,Extra 12v sockets, led indicator lights and generator ( stop throwing things at the screen you will break it:} I know some of you dislike generators ) :} When I eventually boon dock in Maine as people have noticed the tree cover is a bit dense so it might be required. Not to mention the fact that I have seen it go a solid week with out sun usually in the fall / winter time but it has occured in the summer too. I think I got a fair deal and I am pretty sure the seller got a good return too. So buying used can work out as in my case and many others here things align the right way. I am going to be heading out with it for the first time this weekend with a note pad for any ideas of mods I want or figure might be nice to have. Yes for those of you who have seen cpaharleys mods there are more that can be done :} I already swapped out the pvc pipe to a larger size to accept the black hose will post pics of it if you all wish, mounted D ring tie downs behind the under bed doors to use bungees across to keep the temporary rolling plastic bins from comming out while in tow, unobtrusive tie downs in the table area for items I plan on putting there for transport and a few other odds and ends. I have three mods I have not seen here drawn up and will be working on soon.

Cypherian
Old 08-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #23

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
One can always build a better mouse trap.......enjoy it.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #24

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I'm sure it's well understood. The purpose of mods is to make the trailer more suitable for the owners.

Even new trailers, even trailers much larger and more expensive than ours get modifications.

We're in our trailer for most of the year and simply work to make it more comfortable and useful after each trip.

Except for solar panels the biggest cost is time. Though 'time costly' it all comes back in usefulness.

It's highly likely this will be our last trailer, figuring we have possibly 10 more road years. The size of our trailer makes it perfect for our travels, bigger would be more effort, more tow vehicle, more cost. Modifyng it makes sense to us plus it's fun to do. Over our the period of ownership mods are cost effective. It's like a good marriage, in many ways you become one.

We bought a 17 year old trailer in good condition and made it ours. It's now campground and boondock comfortable. Our Scamp is now 22 years old, amazingly these little gems can become better than new.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #25

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Inclined to agree with Dave that one person's hickydo convenience mods are about as good as another's and worth about the same at sale. These may enhance or detract according to a buyer's desires. Sometimes lost sight of is the simple fact that most FG trailer designs under 20' are built to accomodate two simple activities--eating and sleeping--in the same space. If the attraction of new is convertibility of space from bed to board, used must retain this flexibility option to compete. Easily reversible (superficial) modifications may in fact be desirable when you sell as when you buy. I haven't seen anyone yet who couldn't furnish their own potato bin or throw out the current one.

Parts and cushions for convertible bunk/dinettes which have been permanently purposed should be retained so the FO can also have the fun of choosing to optimize the trailer to the needs and number of the new crew. Likewise bathroom facilities: give on board sanitation a trial before you rip out expensive plumbing systems. It is possible to use a shower as Fibber's closet and the potential for reversibility remains when priorities change.

jack
Old 08-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #26

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Yeah I try not to make any permanent changes because who knows down the road what may happen...might suit your needs now but not in 5 years. Im wanting amore comfortable bed and am thinking of storing the cushions for my rear dinette and getting a nice queen sized futon and a piece of luan and 2 milkcrates so I can fold it into a couch when just me or wanting to entertain...pull the 2 milk crates out and it drops back to a bed... no real changes to the caravan but would suit my needs now.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #27

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I've seen many modifications to fiberglass trailers at rallies and I believe a high percentage are worthwhile. I would have been happy to get a Scamp with 6 additional draws, solar panels and LEDs with or without a potato bin.

I find trailer owners to be very creative bunch, living handily in a space the size of many bathrooms in traditional homes. Cleverness to turn a small space into usefulness is much appreciated by this buyer.

I am forever interested in other's modifications, their travels and the use of their trailers. Their experimentation significantly adds to the possibilites.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #28

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
New will always take a price hit as soon as you drive it off the lot, if you keep it for several years that hit can be averaged across those years. Eventually the depreciation reaches point of minumum value for a trailer that size with those features in a condition acceptable to the market.

Buying that used trailer means someone else took the financial hit when it was purchased new. Closer to late model trailer is the more of that depreciation you get to experience after you purchase. Functionally if it's the same I would rather purchase at 50% of new to get that 80% of new condition.

I agree with Ice-Breaker most modifications are not going to turn a profit unless you are taking something from yucky to sweet without sinking in a lot of money. Just as with a house you don't generally get the "cost" of improvements out on resale unless you are very careful in what you do and how much it costs. Small things that make it more desirable or have a better appearence can be the best investment.

And as Norm points out getting the use of the feature over several years provides value. If after using it for 10 years you can still point it out as a selling point that adds value it probably is a "profitable" investment that reduces the price differential between new without and used with the modification.

Adding an outlet near the door for use at the outside table or in other key locations, better storage, tv hook up, well placed mirror etc. if quality work these can make a used camper a better value than new.

Some of the mods people share on this site are things I would be willing to pay a premium over normal price for, others are more niche items that suit that owner and a few others that share a need for and value that feature.