New vs used - price differential poll - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #29

Name: Harry
Trailer: 7/24/13...ordered a 2014 13 ft Scamp w/Shower/Toilet
Alabama
There are several great points of view on this forum and most make good sense. It really boils down to personal preference, taste and how one will use the trailer...and for how long. I have a 2014 Scamp 13 ft standard ordered with shower. Many of the mods mentioned are now options, and I ordered every option except the furnace. I always buy cars about 3 years old for the reasons many of you stated...good value for the money. This is a different purchase...for us! We would rather take a new one loaded out and then add mods as we desire. Plus we are looking forward to decorating it and doing some custom paint work. Still working, and being able to afford getting one completely road ready and showroom clean off the bat, was important to us. Now, if I could have found a late model Scamp, like we ordered, I would have considered it BUT....you CAN'T find them...unlike a used car. I tried for several months to no avail.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #30

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
It is very hard to find a used scamp "the way you want it", and sometimes finr one at all. They are out there but often clear across the country. I was lucky that mine was "only" 800 miles away. It still took me 4 days to get it home and I took it sight unseen.

There is definitely a lot to be said for ordering from the factory if you are able.

I am sure you will be thrilled with your new lady. I certainly am with mine.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #31

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
It is very hard to find a used scamp "the way you want it", ....

There is definitely a lot to be said for ordering from the factory if you are able....
Nothing wrong with making a long term investment to get exactly what you want delivered from the factory. The more specific your needs or desires and the longer your going to keep and use it the more value that option has.

Also helps if you know what features you want in a camper, or are willing to do some research into features to figure out what is a good investment for how you will use the camper.

If your needs or desires are more general or basic, it opens up options to save some money and still be contented with your purchase.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #32

Alabama
Thanks John...we are excited. Rodger, well, we we ordered every option minus the furnace...but we did get the heat strip so I guess we got everything we could. This suited us and we knew what we wanted, and what my honey required.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:00 PM   #33

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
For me price isn't the only consideration. Many "mods" are poorly done, or not something I want. Changes to the electrical system are scary along with changes to the propane system. Some changes will through the trailer out of balance. When I was looking there was basically two type of trailers on the market, those that required extensive work, and those that very close to new prices. In both cases there's no telling what kind of hidden problem you'll be buying. At the time I purchased I had enough projects, still do. Therefore the only thing that made sense to me was to buy new. There wasn't much choice there either, mostly Scamp or Casita. Scamp had enough head room I could stand up, Casita didn't (13' models, I didn't and still don't want anything bigger). Weighing it all a 13' Standard Scamp with my choice of options became the best bet for us. So far, after 8 years, it's been the best choice I could have made. As Donna D. says YMMV.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:20 PM   #34

Alabama
Yup Byron...that's why we ordered new with the options WE wanted! I didn't want to have to add anything later. Plus, it's not like there are a lot of them anyway.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #35

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Having bought lots of used ones and only one new one, I would say that the money side was not as important as getting just what we wanted.
That could only practically happen for us buying new. Otherwise my cuttoff would probably be at least a couple grand difference for an excellent trailer a couple years old.

If you buy used from a skilled owner, you might get one with the bugs worked out.

If you buy used from the wrong owner the bugs may be firmly ensconced, both literally and figuratively!
Old 08-15-2013, 10:27 PM   #36

Alabama
Plus Floyd, you just can't find them.... much less find one close to what you want in a geographically convenient location.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:23 PM   #37

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
It's hard to even compare, to me. Different worlds, unless one is only a year or two old. It also depends on what one is willing to accept on an older one. My '84 19' was $4000, and I promptly tore it down, and will have close to $10k in it when I'm done. Could I get $10k from it when I sold it? If I was really lucky. Is it exactly the way I want it? Yes. Does that mean anybody else would want it this way? No, I really haven't seen any like it aesthetically or mechanically, there has to be a reason for that.

I would have done almost all of the $6k in mods to a new one though, so it didn't make sense for me to get one.

I figured if I was paying the local rv labor rate, I would have at least $25k in labor now, so a persons ability to repair a used camper (or not) plays a huge part in old vs. new, also.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:58 PM   #38

Alabama
Jared, being in sales all my life I can assure you there is always a buyer for what you are selling. You just need to find him. What did you do that would not be attractive to a potential buyer? Sounds like you did some cool stuff to me!
Old 08-16-2013, 12:19 AM   #39

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hman66 View Post
Jared, being in sales all my life I can assure you there is always a buyer for what you are selling. You just need to find him. What did you do that would not be attractive to a potential buyer? Sounds like you did some cool stuff to me!
I've pretty much done everything. It's setup like a 50's diner, and equipped like a modern, larger camper.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:16 AM   #40

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
This whole thing is really just dependent on your own point of view,like most decisions in life.

Mine is that I will not buy a new one and it is just silly to imagine that I would have to in order to get one just like I want it?

I have bought 7 so far and each has been just like I wanted it whether I realized that at first or not!

It is funny,on one hand we talk about how alike these are and how they endure better than most alternatives but on the other we act like they are our children,each one unique and with its own personality?

I think both are the case and it is not at all difficult to undo most wrongs done by others or enhance mediocrity if that is what we want.

So the bottom line for me is how much Egg I can find for how little cash and how much work might it take to get it like I want it.

I have had 4 newer(post 2000) trailers and in each case the difference between them and new is tough to discern,if I wash them at least.

My current Casita had a selection of mods that I was sort of amazed to find and I was even more astounded when looking at it for the first time that they had been done largely just as I might have made them?
Somehow it is the ideal rig for me and I don't really even look around much anymore unless it is at one of the roomier models that I see.

The trailer is just "ME"!

Thanks again Bob and Cindy,glad it just was not "YOU"!

Considering that I have never paid even 1/2 the price of a new one I remain thrilled at the choices I have found. I think if you can't find one then yours has not come up for sale yet,but it will.

I also understand the idea of not having to live in someone else's house and getting new so it is only yours.
I am just not that bothered by used to pay the price.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:20 AM   #41

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
And part of it is simply having the budget for new, I paid 10K for a 2009 side bath. I really didn't want to pay that much, and I was looking for one in the 6-7K range but just wasn't finding it. When I ran across mine I had to scrimp and save and tell the buyer I'd make a second payment, and make a huge financial transaction never even meeting the owner, nor seeing the camper. All of the things we are warned never to do.

I did my due diligence, and it worked and I got my 4 year old Scamp Standard SB for 10K which I think is a good price. It was missing the propane tank and battery, but the AC works, the fridge works on AC, and I am getting it slowly tested and cleaned.

10K was more than I wanted to pay by a lot, but still less than full price new from the factory.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #42

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
I would be very unkely to buy new. I would prefer a beat up egg with a solid frame. Or even one that needed frame work because I would want to galvanize the frame.

The reason for this is it is much easier to drill holes, grind out tabbing and start over, using the shell as your canvas to build your vision of a camper than to do the same with a new camper. I could be wrong, perhaps some builders sell empty shells for owners to finish. Even so it is probably smarter to get a cheap shell than pay big bucks for a new one. I like to change things and it is easier to guy something and start over than it is to modify it and work around problems.

How many campers have recliner's? Or space for that? Want a 47" TV? Wood stove? What if you want a taller or longer camper? Cut it in half, prop it up and glass it back together. It would be crazy to do that with a new camper.

The analogy would be buying an old Victorian house, gutting it, insulating it, and giving it a modern floor plan, insulation and appliances.