Not sure how or where to register our new trailer. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-19-2017, 09:29 PM   #1

Name: Gabriella
Trailer: Scamp
New Mexico
Question Not sure how or where to register our new trailer.

Hi folks!

My partner and I work remotely and have been traveling long term, staying a month or more in different spots all over the country. We're from Colorado and get mail there at my mother-in-law's, and both have CO driver's licenses. We're currently in New Orleans and purchased a 16' Scamp in Mississippi.

Where do we get it registered? We won't be back in CO until December, and I know we need to get it sorted in the next 30 days.

Can we just get it registered here in Louisiana?

Thanks in advance. Y'all have been very helpful with this new purchase of ours!
3ll4t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:39 PM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll4t View Post
Hi folks!

My partner and I work remotely and have been traveling long term, staying a month or more in different spots all over the country. We're from Colorado and get mail there at my mother-in-law's, and both have CO driver's licenses. We're currently in New Orleans and purchased a 16' Scamp in Mississippi.

Where do we get it registered? We won't be back in CO until December, and I know we need to get it sorted in the next 30 days.

Pick up the phone tomorrow and call the Colorado DMV and ask them what is the best way to handle it. I am sure you can find the appropriate phone number to reach them on Colorado's State government website. Doing that first will save you from going down the wrong track, spending money you don't need to and creating a tangle of paperwork that is hard to deal with from remote locations.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:25 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Wherever you consider to be your "permanent" address, would be appropriate.
If your driver's licenses are from CO, and your tow vehicle is too, keep the trailer there too.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:08 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Registration out of State

We are legal residents of the State of Minnesota .
Our FG trailer and TV is registered in the State of Wisconsin.
As others have suggested I called the DMV of both states .
I was told that is legal to register my trailer and vehicle in another state ( not my state of legal residence) if the vehicle / trailer is garaged / operated for the majority of the year in that state
Since we store / park our trailer & TV year round ( Except when traveling ) at our second home in Wisconsin , I registered them both in Wisconsin .

The issue with out of state registration as explained to me , is when people buy a trailer / vehicle out of state , register it out of state , license it out of state and then normally store / operate it in their home state to avoid paying higher sales tax and license & registration fees.
This is considered tax avoidance.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:48 AM   #5

New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We are legal residents of the State of Minnesota .
Our FG trailer and TV is registered in the State of Wisconsin.
As others have suggested I called the DMV of both states .
I was told that is legal to register my trailer and vehicle in another state ( not my state of legal residence) if the vehicle / trailer is garaged / operated for the majority of the year in that state
Since we store / park our trailer & TV year round ( Except when traveling ) at our second home in Wisconsin , I registered them both in Wisconsin .

The issue with out of state registration as explained to me , is when people buy a trailer / vehicle out of state , register it out of state , license it out of state and then normally store / operate it in their home state to avoid paying higher sales tax and license & registration fees.
This is considered tax avoidance.
Great, thanks for this informative response.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:49 AM   #6

New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Pick up the phone tomorrow and call the Colorado DMV and ask them what is the best way to handle it. I am sure you can find the appropriate phone number to reach them on Colorado's State government website. Doing that first will save you from going down the wrong track, spending money you don't need to and creating a tangle of paperwork that is hard to deal with from remote locations.
Good idea, will call!
Old 09-20-2017, 10:50 PM   #7

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll4t View Post
Hi folks!

Where ever you have your driver's license from is the state you need to register your trailer. You can get into problems having vehicles registered in a state you don't live in and driving them in your home state. You can be fined for not having your vehicle and trailer registered in a state you don't reside in here in Colorado. If you register it in another state you'd have 30 days after coming to Colorado to register it there. Lots of extra expense. More problems since you bought in Mississippi, live in Colorado and want to register it in LA. Ran into some problems when we bought an RV in AZ new from a dealer from CA and registered in CO.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote