NY buyer purchasing in Canada - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-05-2016, 11:47 AM   #1

Name: Marv
Trailer: Escape
New York
NY buyer purchasing in Canada

I don't want to re-hash old topics, but I'm curious to know what "bumps in the road" others have encountered doing this and how each has resolved the issue.

Topics of interest;
Establishing trust with a prospective seller to facilitate the purchase.
Safeguards regarding transfer of funds.
What others have done to "structure " their purchase.
Temporary travel permits (in lieu of plates)

My DMV has informed me that I must get form HS-7 from US Customs before I would be issued a license from the state. This happens when the trailer crosses the border with sales receipt in hand. I want to do all this above board, but also limit the number of "impediments" to the purchase.

Thanks,
Marv
Stkshftr Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:13 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Some good information here:
Importing a Trailer From Canada
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:50 PM   #3

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
importing

Here is how we did it ... twice. Several years ago we bought a Trillium 5500 , owner lived in London, Ontario and more recently a Bigfoot 17, owner lived on the north end of Vancover Island both trailers were over 25 years old. At the time of both purchases we did not have a passport or passcard ( we do now have a passcard ) so we made arrangements for the sellers to meet us on the U.S. side of the border which eliminated all issues for us . Maybe it is easier for a Canadian citizen to deal with Canadian border personnel ? Obviously this limits your purchase to sellers near the border. In any case both purchases were obviously very easy for us. Let's say the purchase price is $6,500.00 you could offer the seller say $500.00 to $750.00 over the asking price to meet you on the U.S. side of the border with the trailer in tow. At the high end you would pay $7,250.00 for the trailer ( which at current exchange rates that comes to around $5,000.00 U.S. dollars ) and quite a bargain ! Obviously be sure to determine that purchase price and bonus is in Canadian dollars. You do need to find a willing seller and this was not difficult for us on our purchases. Lee and Norma
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:21 PM   #4

Name: Marv
Trailer: Escape
New York
Thanks Jon, I frequent the fiberglass-rv-4sale.com site regularly and I'm aware of the guidelines posted there. Its a great resource.

Lee, thanks, but New York state requires that I bring the trailer across with bill of sale in my name. Document HS-7 is my proof of that. I don't doubt that there are other states that are more flexible, not NY.

Thanks again,
Marv
Stkshftr Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:41 PM   #5

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
It's all there on that site. Sounds like you know what you need as far as crossing the border.

I think just asking the seller if they'll hold it for you is a good start. How long do they need to wait for you to get there?

When I was buying my Bigfoot, the guy told me "it's yours if you want it", but until I got all the requirements worked out, he was going to keep showing it to local people, just in case. Knowing that someone might offer some high price and he might give in, I got up there as fast as I could.

I brought cash. But traveling with thousands of dollars in cash isn't smart, obviously. That's the way I did it, though. I had to declare the cash at the border, and was taken to a small room by friendly Canadian border patrol where they counted the money and handed me a certificate stating that.

We "structured" the deal by me saying "I'll be there tomorrow evening"

Yes, make sure they get you the importation papers and stamp them. Yes, they'll want to see the bill of sale and you need to fill out and sign 2 or 3 forms.

I didn't get a temporary plate...oops. No one cared, luckily. But Alberta and Montana are different than NY, I know that for sure. One could be called a "police" state, compared to the other. I grew up in NY and Montana is night and day difference as far highway patrol. We don't see cops hanging out along interstates looking for reasons to pull people over. In fact I was passed by a cop in Calgary who didn't pull me over, and had a local cop come do a "VIN inspection" as the last stage before I could register/title it, and he even looked at the back (I think looking for a plate) and didn't mention anything.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:45 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
On two separate occasions, we purchased and imported a FGRV from Ontario to Michigan (2012 and 2015). In both cases:

1. We established trust with the seller in same way we would with a state-side transaction. Asked many questions in advance. Verified the seller had a clear, current registration in their name (in Ontario, the registration is also the title). Checked that the trailer was towable with tires and bearings in good condition, functional taillights and hitch. Also determined that the electrical connector was compatible.

2. We paid in cash and left with the trailer. First seller agreed to US$, and the second seller requested CAD$.

3. We didn't structure the purchase.

4. No temporary travel permits were/are required by Ontario or Michigan.

5. We showed the signed receipt and signed over Ontario registration at US Customs at the border crossing and immediately obtained the form HS-7. The State of Michigan required/requires the HS-7 form, signed receipt, and signed Ontario registration in order to obtain the Michigan title and registration.

That's about it. cool:

John in Michigan
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:58 PM   #7

Michigan
Registry
When we imported our second FGRV, the drive was several hours. The seller agreed to hold the trailer while we drove to his location.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:59 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I went with a friend last year to purchase a 2010 Scamp in Ontario. Paid cash (Canadian exchanged at the border), went with the owner to Ontario's equivalent of the DMV & he signed over the registration (no titles in Ontario). Purchased a temporary plate good for 2 weeks at the Ontario DMV (around $15.00 Canadian) & headed to the border with a previously filled out 7501 form (an import form you can obtain at the border or on line & fill out portions to save time). They checked the VIN & signed & stamped the 7501 form. Stopped at the first NY DMV on the way back to Oswego, & registered the trailer, paid the sales tax, and got the plate.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:10 PM   #9

Michigan
Registry
Correction: The customs form we obtained in 2015 was a 7501, not an HS-7. The customs officer filled it out online while we stood there, then gave us a stamped hardcopy.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:11 PM   #10

Montana
Oh yeah that was another thing - the seller I worked with was fine with US cash. It was an 8 hour drive for me, one way, to get the trailer.

I had been told by Montana DMV that I'd need a notarized (certified in Cananda) bill of sale. That didn't happen. I showed up after 6pm, and no internet searches turned up anything about Canadian "notaries" or "certifiers".

Luckily Montana DMV either didn't notice or didn't care. Probably the fact that Dept of Homeland Security stamped the bill of sale helped.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:17 PM   #11

Montana
Also, if you have time, the best thing to do is stop over on the US side and ask, in person, what they'll require when you come across with the trailer. If it's like Montana, there will be some confusion. Make sure you get an answer and a name of who gave you that answer.

But that saved me. I stopped in without the trailer and came back with it later the same day, and when one officer was looking confused and about to make things more difficult, the guy I had talked to earlier came over and got him lined out.

But my trailer was right on the border of being 25 years old and had no DOT sticker, so it was more complicated for me.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:50 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Name: Azur
Trailer: 1980 Burro, 1973 Trillium 1300, 1977 Surfside 14',1975 Boler 13'
Washington
Registry
I did it with a 77 surfside recently in Washington state. With a 25 year old trailer it was easy. They recommended getting a temp permit on the Washington side and I paid cash. I transferred $400 holding fee. He held it for me
Azurko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:35 PM   #13

Trailer: Looking for one
Oregon
Dumb Q: er... several of you mentioned the trailer being 25 years old. Why does that matter? If it's 25 years old or older, does that mean less paperwork? Or more? Thanks.
frv91745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:05 PM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
NY buyer purchasing in Canada

Less. Under 25 years requires certification from the manufacturer that the trailer meets US DOT requirements. Without it, there is additional hassle and expense to import. Over 25 years is considered an antique and does not require the DOT certification. Beyond that the process is the same. Go to http://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/i...vel-trailer-us for a good summary of the process.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:21 PM   #15

Trailer: Looking for one
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Less. <snip>
Thanks!!!
frv91745 is offline   Reply With Quote