Passport needed for Canada? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-10-2011, 09:02 AM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Passport needed for Canada?

I was just wondering when planning to drive across the Canadian Border is a passport needed? And if so, does that include minors?
Old 03-10-2011, 09:10 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
The passport is needed to return to the US.
I am not sure on the age.

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
I was just wondering when planning to drive across the Canadian Border is a passport needed? And if so, does that include minors?
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:12 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: melissab...Passports just make the crossings easier. You have photo proof and a bar code with all pertinent data that can be scanned in a flash.
I'm not sure if minors are required to have one but again it makes the crossings easier. OOps I forgot the Gubermint needs the income too!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
Everyone who crosses the US border into Canada is required to have a passport. The exception is children.

U.S. and Canadian citizens ages 15 or younger with parental consent will be allowed to cross the borders at land and sea entry points with certified copies of their birth certificates rather than passports.

What this is not saying is that if you fly into Canada you have to have a passport no matter what age.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:16 AM   #5

Trailer: Helite
You must have a passport to re-enter the USA. If you are driving, you can either use the full sized Passport or you can get a small, drivers license size passport. The small is for driving only. For flying, you need the full sized one.

Just in case I might be wrong, check with the US Government web site.

NOTE: Do Not Go To Canada or Mexico with a GUN.
Art VanDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:30 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Escape
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Braun View Post
Everyone who crosses the US border into Canada is required to have a passport.
That's just not true. You need proof of citizenship if you are a US or Canadian citizen, but it need not be a passport.

But that's a moot point. Going into the US from Canada, everybody needs a passport, or the passport card Art mentions, or a Nexus Pass, or a secure drivers license (this is a special, extra-cost license available in some border states).

I don't know about children. Nor about air or sea travel.
Ron Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:53 PM   #8

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 16 ft Custom Deluxe Deluxe Side Dinette
Registry
I had a friend go to Canada last year on vacation with his wife and 2 border collies. He and his wife both had passports, but evidently he didn't mention the 2 dogs when going into Canada. When returning home to the states, he had to go through a big run around over the dogs. He was able to bring them back, but they gave him a big hassle over them for some reason.
Mark Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #9

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...When I had to renew/rewrite my B Z bus licence I enquired about the special licence. They are avail. in border cities and you have to go back there to get them renewed. 1 hr. trip each way for me. A passport is done via the local office and thru the mail.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:18 PM   #10

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I'm 30 miles from Mexico and I can't go without a passport or at least the form that says I have applied for a passport. I don't want to go but anyway thanks homeland security. I can't gp to Alaska either because I wont fly and you have to cross through Canada.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:20 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Escape
Registry
Dogs require proof of rabies vaccination in both directions. You get that from your vet. Border guards only ask when you have forgotten.
Ron Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:42 PM   #12

Trailer: 77 Scamp
Well having travel back and forth 4 times I can say when you have a passport its MUCH easier...
before Passport....MILLION questions
after passport.state your business and how long are you staying bye bye
the more prepare the better off IMO.. I usually get something from my insurance stating the dates I will be there. Along with the notarized note from my hubby (he's not a camper per say so doesn't go with us) anything to make it easier to pass thru. The more prepared I've been the less questions I've recieved
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:21 PM   #13

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
You only need the Passport if you are a legal citizen. It seams that Illegals do not require one.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:35 PM   #14

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1999
We live next to Canada and fish the river that separates the 2 countries.

Here is another watch out: You will also very likely be denied entry into Canada if you have a DUI on your driving record; includes passengers as well.
Mark J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:46 PM   #15

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Registry
Entering Canada - CBSA

I believe when it comes to crossing borders one should go to the source that establishes and controls the entry requirements. In this case it is CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency). Their website and the correct entry requirements can be found at the following link: Non-Canadians

Hope that helps.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:57 PM   #16

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland H View Post
I believe when it comes to crossing borders one should go to the source that establishes and controls the entry requirements. In this case it is CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency). Their website and the correct entry requirements can be found at the following link: Non-Canadians

Hope that helps.
I just looked at that link and guess what? It's dated Nov 09, so it's out of date and it's wrong. sorry.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #17

Registry
Are you kidding?

Please explain what is wrong with it? It is the one and only official site that you can follow, Im not sure what is wrong with it?
May I ask where you got your information from? Thanks for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
I just looked at that link and guess what? It's dated Nov 09, so it's out of date and it's wrong. sorry.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:03 PM   #18

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I use a Passport card to go to Canada by car. The trouble with a Nexus card is that everyone in the car has to have one or you can't use the Nexus lane and it is only good for car travel (the Passport card also works for ferries and a few airports like Seattle to Vancouver.) And the rabies comment is right on- forget to bring it and they'll ask, otherwise, they never do!
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:14 PM   #19

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland H View Post
Please explain what is wrong with it? It is the one and only official site that you can follow, Im not sure what is wrong with it?
May I ask where you got your information from? Thanks for now.
Roland, I looked at the site right after reading your post. I went to it and I went to the part about paperwork or something there (it's in Blue letters)and the part about non Canadians entering Canada, and it says what you said but the laws have changed and when you go to the bottom of the page it's dated 11/something/09.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:24 PM   #20

Registry
Thanks Greg but I looked at the bottom of the page and it states it was modified 27th July, 2010, seven months ago. Sorry, still not sure what you are referring to, but just to close off my posting on this thread and to make sure we don't leave anyone confused...

This is the only website for the Federal Government Border Services Agency and all Border information is released in this website and updated daily. Any changes to Customs or Immigration legislation will be changed in the website as people from all over the world refer to it.
Over and out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Roland, I looked at the site right after reading your post. I went to it and I went to the part about paperwork or something there (it's in Blue letters)and the part about non Canadians entering Canada, and it says what you said but the laws have changed and when you go to the bottom of the page it's dated 11/something/09.