Preparing to order a 13'Scamp--Option questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2015, 12:39 PM   #1

Name: Jacqueline
Trailer: Scamp
Kansas
Preparing to order a 13'Scamp--Option questions

I am going to call to order a new Scamp--13' with bathroom and I wondered if anyone can advise me on the options I should get. I'm worried that I will wish I had ordered an option that I passed on. I have decided I want the AC and electric brakes and for $30 I could probably use an extra 120v interior plug. I don't need cable or TV antenna. Any help would be appreciated...
JackieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:27 PM   #2

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
As I've learned recently, it's good to think thru how many outlets you'll need and where they are placed. They are hard to install after the build.

I'd also get things thinking toward resale. Many future buyers would probably like it to be wired for TV, even though you don't want to have a TV.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:27 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You're gonna be swamped with suggestions. But, I bought a new 13' in 2010. And here's my suggestions:
Exterior 120v electrical outlet. I added it but would order it the next time; extra 12v interior outlet.

I changed the cheesy reading lamps for Dome lamps...MUCH more warm ambient light back there and still plenty of reading light.

Screen door (Wife loves this); Sink in the bathroom...wouldnt be without this; an awning and love it; Extra cabinets in the rear.

If you're getting the roof-mount A/C, I ordered the heat strip. Coleman also makes a digital thermostat for their units now that's VERY nice (I doubt Scamp would install it..but they will the heat strip)

Ok...we've gone electric on the water heater. BUT, if you're going with propane only, I would at LEAST go with DSI-- "Direct Spark Ignition". Otherwise you will be going outside to light it and it can be difficult in wind. But just know that that is a "luxury". But I would still get it.

I would get the "Wizard" for the Progressive power converter (you'll have to check and see if they still use this brand) The "Wizard" will let you keep your Scamp plugged in and never hurt the battery but will keep it charged!

We got vinyl flooring over carpet. NEVER regretted it.

If you're not getting the "Deluxe" (wood model), then the standard model now comes with a 54" bed option. BUT, you lose galley cabinet space and lot of the closet so that's a call you have to make. But just know it's an option! Otherwise the bed is apx 44" wide at the shoulders and that can get pretty narrow!

I love the Fantastic fan, but I wish I had gotten the thermostat-controlled model. I would GREATLY consider that.

That's about it. But there'll be many other suggestions. But this is an opinionated start.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:33 PM   #4

Name: Danny
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Kentucky
Jacqueline,
We skipped the awning, A/C and bath but sprung for the propane appliances. It all depends on how you intend to use your Scamp. Extra outlets are low cost options as is the bike rack receiver. We thought the option package that included the screen door and refrigerator was a good value. Hopefully you have had a chance to check out a Scamp similar to what you intend to order. Good luck deciding what you want, you have a time period after you order to change your mind but I think it is wise to make up your mind before you order. We have been very happy with ours.
Danny1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:42 PM   #5

Name: Jacqueline
Kansas
Thanks so much for the recommendations.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
JackieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:18 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Get ALL the overhead cabinets. Screen door too.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Lots of good threads in the archives on the topic of what to order and not order. Personally would not be happy without the screen door, awning, LED lights, extra 12v plug, Fantastic fan, 3 way fridge, rock guard for front window. Would go for a 2 burner rather than 3 burner stove (don't think I have ever used all 3 at the same time). I have a sink in the bathroom and have considered removing it for more turn around space many many times - the kitchen sink for hand washing is only 3' away. I also would not get the slinky hose holder on the front of the trailer.

Ordering a New Scamp

Ordering a 16' Scamp what are the must have options.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:23 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Don't let them install curtain rods! You'll end up with at least 24 extra holes through the hull of the trailer you don't need!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:34 PM   #9

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
I would ask them NOT to put the stinky slinky on the front. It is super ugly and not a feature! Also it is really small and the better hoses don't fit in it. People install them instead by the rear bumper if you do a search you will find pics.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:56 PM   #10

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieLynn View Post
I am going to call to order a new Scamp--13' with bathroom and I wondered if anyone can advise me on the options I should get. I'm worried that I will wish I had ordered an option that I passed on. I have decided I want the AC and electric brakes and for $30 I could probably use an extra 120v interior plug. I don't need cable or TV antenna. Any help would be appreciated...
Don't know if you have a 12-volt receptacle standard but you might want one to check your battery with a monitor. Can't have too many 110s or 12Vs around and at $30, you can't go wrong. You will wish you had more. We have a standard 110 on exterior.

Dual DSI water heater if you will be at campgrounds.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:58 PM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
The most common mistake I find is overlooking the small stuff,
like extra lights and outlets (12V and 110V)
When in doubt... be sure to ask!... whether it is a window, a drawer, an outlet or the color of something.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:35 PM   #12

Name: Jill
Indiana
We ordered a 13', got the 54" bed, 2 side over head cabinets back overhead cabinet (no toilet/shower - bunk beds), the screen door (LOVE), ALL of the lights & outlets inside and out... we were back and forth on the outside ones and are glad we got them as we use them all the time. The 2 side overhead cabinets are where we store our clothes (one for me, one for him) and the back overhead cabinet is a great place to stash all the kitchen stuff. We have a bike receiver, but cannot get the tongue weight to balance out with 1-2 bikes on the back so we will end up making one over the tongue some day. A/C & heat strip (we camp in hot and sticky conditions, and cold) the heat strip is great for electric sites and we have the furnace when no electric is available. I think we got everything we could but the awning... a pop up tent takes 5 min to put up and is only $100 and is easily replaceable if the wind takes it.
JillG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:14 AM   #13

Name: Brad
British Columbia
All of the above PLUS if you are a light sleeper then tell them not to put the Suburban heater in. It is VERY loud (wakes all 3 of us up when it cycles on each time). There are a lot of complaints about it on the forums and the sales guy will blow you off if you bring it up. Just order it without heat, take the extra cabinet space that provides and install a nice and quiet external mounted Propex 2211. IMHO...

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
brad j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:22 AM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
With all my purchased suggestions, that's one thing I failed to mention: I did not order the Scamp with the propane furnace and wouldnt. But then again, I've only stayed off the grid 1 time in 5 yrs. I used a generator with electric heat.

[QUOTE=brad j;511923]All of the above PLUS if you are a light sleeper then tell them not to put the Suburban heater in.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:34 AM   #15

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Wow, $30 per outlet? I would seriously consider adding them everywhere I thought I MIGHT one at that price. I did add an outside (GFCI) outlet to my old 16, but don't use it all that much (yet). I was adding inside receptacles so it was not too much of a hassle but I did scrub part of the "Scamp" line that runs the length of the trailer while cutting out for the box. Nobody notices it but me, and I see it every time I look in that direction.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:15 AM   #16

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Everyone keeps on saying extra 12V plug. So i thought there was at least one installed, so that to me and the way i use it, would be fine. Guess what, there is none in the build. you have to order it, I didn`t. But i did order the outside ground fault plug. I did not order the awning, too much loot and does not keep one bug out. I opted out and bought a Clam 660 screen room for more space. I wish i got the LP & elec HWH instead of just LP, what was i thinking. I have the full bath without the sink, Takes up too much space in a small area. I got the hitch receiver, do not know f i will use it, but it is there. Got AC and furnace. No heat strip in AC. I thought the fan noise would be to loud in a small place. We use a $39 elec. space heater cool to the touch, is fine. Good Luck, Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp