Process for buying a trailer in Kentucky - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-08-2016, 09:16 PM   #1

Name: Bernie
Trailer: Researching Options
Kentucky
Process for buying a trailer in Kentucky

Hello!

I am a Kentucky resident and will be looking at a trailer from a local seller on the morning of July 9th!! I am hoping someone can walk me through the title transfer process. Here are some of my questions:

I've read online that the seller can sign the back of the title, then the buyer can take it to the DMV to get it transferred. Is this correct? The information also said the signature needs to be notarized?? I'm not for sure how to get that done in this case. On a Saturday morning!!

Or will we need to go to a DMV office to transfer the title?

Any information you early birds can pass my way will be greatly appreciated.

A little background, for years I've been thinking of getting a ClassB when I retire, 10 years from now!! I stumbled upon a small Egg Rally in Bardstown KY about 6 weeks ago. Everyone was VERY NICE and took pride in showing me their "home on wheels". It struck me that a fiberglass trailer would be perfect for me at this stage of my life, BUT, it is the community around them that I am most excited about. As a matter of fact, I already have a campsite reserved for the Land Between The Lakes Fall Rally!! Campsite # 321 and I don't even own a trailer yet!!

I hope the Seller doesn't see this

Thanks everyone,

Bernie
BernieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:35 PM   #2

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Hey Bernie, Congrats in advance! Since you haven't gotten a response yet from a fellow Kentuckian, I'll just add that some states require a Bill of Sale, and if not required, it never hurts to have one. It can be quickly typed up on your home computer with the following: 1) seller's name and address (should match the camper's title and registration), 2) buyer's name and address, 3) make, year, model and VIN number of the camper being transferred, and 4) printed names (seller's name needs to be same as printed on title) along with original signatures of both seller and buyer and the date signed (should match date entered on back of title). Any information you don't know yet, just draw a line for it and fill it in by hand later. I've not heard of notarizing the title or Bill of Sale, but perhaps that's a Kentucky thing. I hope you hear back from someone in Kentucky soon to help square all of this for you with your specific state laws. Best of luck, and happy camping! Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:24 AM   #3

Name: Bernie
Trailer: Researching Options
Kentucky
Hi Dale,

Thank you. I just found an RV Bill of Sale template online and will take it with me.

Bernie
BernieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:32 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
The two places I look when I need a notary are the town clerks office (any town will do ) and a bank. While there might be a fee, I've never been charged. Make sure you have multiple Id cards. I bring my license and my passport. Both have pictures. Good luck with your egg hunt, Raz

P.S. have a look at the buyers check list under tutorials in the column on the left side of this page.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:02 AM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Hi Bernie,

Great to meet you in Bardstown! Glad you had a nice time! Hope your camper search is successful, and we can see you in your new camper next year in Bardstown. We won't be hosting though. We bequeathed the rally to able hands who can answer KY questions that people from IL cannot.

Some people who buy a camper without a title go through the state of Maine to eventually get clear title.

CindyL
Old 07-09-2016, 06:39 AM   #6

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Real estate offices, mailbox rental/shipping storefront business and car sales places usually have a notary available. If you are paying with a check, the sellers bank would be a good place to do the transaction.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:42 AM   #7

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
I live in Louisville. If it were me, I would go to county clerks office with seller and take care of all at one time. If seller is registered outside Ky, then it has to be inspected first. You can google your county clerks office and talk to them. Not sure which county you are in. Chris
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:29 PM   #8

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieK View Post
Hello! I am a Kentucky resident and will be looking at a trailer from a local seller on the morning of July 9th!! I am hoping someone can walk me through the title transfer process. Bernie
Hey Bernie, It's now July 10th! So how'd it go yesterday? Do you have yourself a new-to-you camper? If so, what did you get, and did all the related paperwork make sense and go smoothly so far? Curious minds want to know.... Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote