Purchasing long distance - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-22-2016, 11:08 AM   #15

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
I live in northern Illannoy, I might do an inspection in my area if anyone needs it.

I have bought most of my trailers sight unseen except pictures.
I have found that a a few pictures,a good interview with the seller, and reasonable expectations have yielded satisfactory results.
Caveat...I buy to recondition and have never bought from a dealer.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:34 PM   #16

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit 17
British Columbia
We had two experiences buying fiberglass trailers from distant dealers, one was from an Airstream dealer and was excellent, even down to a wonderful gift basket. The second was a Scamp on trade in to a car/rv dealership. That one was more how Mike described, trailer was filthy inside with a stained mattress we had to pay to dump, some undisclosed issues, not a good experience.
I always find that fiberglass trailers can look really good in photos and they hide a lot of flaws. Unless you are prepared for the unexpected I would recommend buying in person.
Sometimes when you buy from an owner they are really nice people but are just clueless about maintenance etc so you usually have to do several things to bring them up to par especially if you get a deal.
Good luck in your search.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:46 PM   #17

Name: Marv
Trailer: Escape 5.0 (sold) :(
Texas
There is a Used FiberglassRV Evaluation Check List on this forum. If you were looking long-distance at a trailer offered by an individual, maybe ask them to fill out the form. If I was the seller, I would be happy to do that and explain every line item that was less than excellent. I think you could get a good feel for the deal just by how they approach the evaluation.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:26 PM   #18

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
There is a Used FiberglassRV Evaluation Check List on this forum. If you were looking long-distance at a trailer offered by an individual, maybe ask them to fill out the form. If I was the seller, I would be happy to do that and explain every line item that was less than excellent. I think you could get a good feel for the deal just by how they approach the evaluation.
Sounds good, but keep in mind that fiberglass trailers are always in a sellers market.
I never had one for sale for three whole days before it was GONE... often with multiple buyers left standing with cash in hand and disappointment on their faces.
I found that when I bought, that I often had only hours at best to make a commitment to buy, even then I missed a few.
Once I had a seller (at 9PM) agree to hold a trailer until noon the next day while I arrived with the cash (110 mile drive) She reneged and sold it in the morning while I was in my truck and on my way.
Buying a newer trailer is not quite that frantic, but a seller still has little incentive to fill out forms or make special concessions.

BUT HEY!! Its a travel trailer...so travel.... ROAD TRIP! I have driven more than 600 miles more than once to retrieve a trailer with less than 24hours notice.
Its an adventure and you won't lose near as much (probably actually profit)on a fiberglass trailer as you will on the TV which you likely bought on impulse anyway.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:55 PM   #19

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit 17
British Columbia
Yes unfortunately like Floyd says most trailers will sell really quickly and if I was a seller and someone asked me to fill out the checklist for them I would just move on to the next person. Also as a seller it is hard to determine how serious people are long distance, sometimes they call and email with multiple questions that you take quite a bit of time to answer and then you never hear from them again or discover they don't have the money, their vehicle set up or another issue.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:32 AM   #20

Name: Doug
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
I just sold my egg, I would only take a deposit in person, I got a few angry emails, but that's what I was comfortable with, I've never done PayPal or an e transfer. Now to find a near new Scamp 5th wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV