Purchasing long distance - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-21-2016, 11:15 AM   #1

Name: Lori
Trailer: In the market
Maryland
Purchasing long distance

There are very few good sized used eggs available in the northeast/mid-Atlantic area. The temptation sometimes is to obtain pictures of one in another state and take the risk of purchasing sight unseen and then make the trip to pick it up.

Has anyone successfully done this and if so, do you have any recommendations on best practices? For example, is it possible to find a molded fiberglass inspector in that area and pay them to do an inspection for you?

TIA!
rvdevdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:26 AM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
here is a website that has listings of certified inspectors.
https://rvinspection.com/

But an RV business that does things like collision repair can also be found in the local business directories and that might be a service they offer.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:02 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
The most important inspection on a trailer purchase is done when you first walk into a trailer, is done using your nose. If it stinks it's bad, if the smell is off and covered with perfume that a big red flag. What if the previous owner was a chain smoker? Bad trailers smell bad. It is very hard to cover up or hide a bad smelling trailer. It is also very hard to remove the stink of a smelly trailer.

Can you smell a trailer from across state lines? You or someone you trust needs to be there before you plop any cash down. This is very hard to do when good trailers sell so fast.

A cheep beautiful trailer is no bargain if it stinks inside.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:05 PM   #4

Maryland
Yes, that was one of my concerns. Jumping on a flight to look at a trailer isn't something I can easily do. I guess I'll just have to keep looking within a 300 mile radius or sane enough to buy new. I would just rather have molded fiberglass than one of the assembly line trailers.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:21 PM   #5

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
The most important inspection on a trailer purchase is done when you first walk into a trailer, is done using your nose. If it stinks it's bad, if the smell is off and covered with perfume that a big red flag. What if the previous owner was a chain smoker? Bad trailers smell bad. It is very hard to cover up or hide a bad smelling trailer. It is also very hard to remove the stink of a smelly trailer.

Can you smell a trailer from across state lines? You or someone you trust needs to be there before you plop any cash down. This is very hard to do when good trailers sell so fast.

A cheep beautiful trailer is no bargain if it stinks inside.
That was a big fear I had as I had my brother in law inspect and purchase mine and I didn't know if he would notice a bad smell! But it turned out fine. If you could get someone you know to check it out first you might do that before paying for an inspection.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:32 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Place a want add on these trailer site noting what you're looking for. How far your willing to go and what your budget is.

Most people who are on rv sites love their trailers and will do allot to help you. I think they keep their trailers in better condition than Joe public as a whole. Finding someone to work with you is more likely that someone who just placed a public ad to sell and wants it gone right away.
Best luck in your search.
I found my trailer by placing an ad on this site after 4 months looking on ebay, Craigslist and local dealers. I was never fast enough to get ones that popped up since I am still working. A week later I had a trailer in my driveway. I was lucky and it wasn't the prime summer season. I paid a little more than expected but I didn't have to drive 500 miles to get it.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:39 PM   #7

Maryland
Great advice! Thanks.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:21 PM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Remote purchasing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdevdiva View Post
Great advice! Thanks.
The Escape we bought three years ago was advertised on a forum site. It had been to several rallies and the owners had particpated in the open house segment of their rallies. Therefore, when it was advertised, several people commented that it was a great trailer and made positive comments about the condition and options. This lead us to be assured that the trailer was as the seller advertised. When we talked to him we learned more about it, bought it sight unseen drove 1500 miles to get it and brought it home. We put a very reasonable deposit down on it to have the owner hold it for us. In our case it worked out better than anyone could ever ask for. We're very happy with the rig to this day and wouldn't think of selling it, even for a new one.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:22 PM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I purchased my second Trillium 4500, (Launch Pad, 45-1100980) sight unseen. Oh, I studied the pictures very carefully, but no smelling was done. It worked out good for me. Though that was not the best deal I got on a 4500. In fact, I paid more for that one then any other Trillium I purchased.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-51888.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:29 PM   #10

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
Beware- Even if you think it looks good in pictures, the trailer is not very old, you are promised it is in excellent shape, the price seems reasonable, it is a model you have seen before and know it fits your needs etc... things can go wrong when you drive a long distance with money in hand and your expectations are not met. The seller may refuse to return your good faith deposit since they do not see good faith as a two way street the way a buyer does. Negotiate all aspects - price, time frame, the deposit and what happens if your expectations are not met ahead of time.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:53 PM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
The most important inspection on a trailer purchase is done when you first walk into a trailer, is done using your nose.
I agree, good advice. We passed on a trailer as I didn't think the condition was good. When we left my wife was dejected but said she caught some off smell. The owner had a very large dog and they likely aired it out well as I did not detect it. In hind site I am very glad we passed on that one, We lived in a house that had smokers and try as we did, never could get that smell out completely. One of the reasons I was happy to move. I would never buy a house, car, or camper that has been smoked in even once.
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:45 PM   #12

Name: Talia
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr.
USA
I just bought a Compact Jr trailer last month, sight unseen, several states' drive away from me.

I purchased it on Ebay. I checked the seller's reputation, and saw that he had several vintage trailer sales that the buyers were very happy with. He didn't have any negative ratings, and he posted many good photos of the trailer in question. He answered all my questions quickly. I took the chance and put in a bid, and won the trailer.

When I arrived a couple weeks later to pick it up, it was exactly as described. I know Ebay is a crap shoot, but there are a lot of ways to protect yourself when purchasing long distance. Do your due diligence, research the trailer you are buying, be aware of what possible issues it may have, and ask a lot of questions of the seller. And be absolutely certain to research the seller to make sure they have a good reputation.

I'm very happy with my purchase. The only thing I had to do to it to tow it 1200 miles home was to rewire the lights.
Talia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:06 PM   #13

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Bought our Silver Cloud in OR, and we are in Chicago. Admittedly, it was at an RV place, but still, it was purchased from images. Hubby flew out and looked at it. If you can't do this, ask here to see if there is a local member who can check it out.

Turns out that we need a new refrigerator and a better anti-sway hitch, but even so, we got a good deal and will still have a good deal when we purchase these.

CindyL
Old 07-22-2016, 09:25 AM   #14

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdevdiva View Post
Jumping on a flight to look at a trailer isn't something I can easily do.
If that truly is the situation then WHY are YOU looking at trailers beyond driving distance for you to PERSONALLY look at trailers in which you have an interest???

Yes I am picking on you a little bit.

I see this ALL the time in the vintage car world of which I have been a part of for years. People want a certain car/trailer and look all over the country for what they want however they are NOT willing to put in the effort needed to get what they want on a long distance purchase and not get screwed!!!

It's not that most folks are "Unable" to personally go look at a long distance from them vehicle or in this situation a trailer it's that they are "Unwilling" to personally go look at that vehicle or trailer. IF that truly is your situation take the advice given above and HIRE AN INSPECTOR who has YOUR Best Interest's in mind.

Expensive???

Not at all. This inspection could save you THOUSAND'S of Dollars!

Expect to spend $250-$500 for this service from a recognized impartial professional. This will be the best money you will spend in the buying process for your new to you fiberglass trailer.

You did not mention your personal expertise as it relates to fiberglass trailers. You might find that hiring an inspector to look at a LOCAL trailer in which you have an interest might also be a GREAT expenditure as the inspector will have the knowledge of what to look at and experience of where to look for these problems that you may not have when looking at a fiberglass trailer.

I have said for years in the classic car world that for every $10K you are willing to spend for an old car budget $1,000 for travel to look at cars. Spend $20K on the car budget $2K for travel to look at cars. The same holds true for fiberglass trailers.

Why would you do this? I'll tell you why.

If you look at enough of whatever you want (in this situation a fiberglass trailer) you WILL find the one poor SOB with a really nice fiberglass trailer that really needs to sell and you will get a MUCH better deal that will more than make up for the expenditure you spent on travel to go look at the trailer. It truly does work every time!

Spend some time reading this site and will see time and time again the repairs that new owners must make to their new to them fiberglass trailer purchase that they were unaware of. Why? Most folks really do not know what they are looking at. That's where the professional inspection service comes in. That service gives you the knowledge to be a better buyer and truly KNOW what it is you are agreeing to purchase. Once again money well spent!

Another point to consider when purchasing a trailer from a RV DEALER who is a Long Distance away from you. Dealers FAR away from will give you a much better "Deal" on that trailer than a "Local Yocal" walking in their door. WHY? They know that they will NEVER see you or that trailer again as you will NOT be back for repairs or problems they did not disclose. That's why they have a "Smokin" deal on that trailer just for YOU!

Above all make your search and the purchase process FUN for you and your family and not the nightmare that some folks experience once they have their "New" trailer at home!!!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:08 AM   #15

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I live in northern Illannoy, I might do an inspection in my area if anyone needs it.

I have bought most of my trailers sight unseen except pictures.
I have found that a a few pictures,a good interview with the seller, and reasonable expectations have yielded satisfactory results.
Caveat...I buy to recondition and have never bought from a dealer.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:34 AM   #16

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
We had two experiences buying fiberglass trailers from distant dealers, one was from an Airstream dealer and was excellent, even down to a wonderful gift basket. The second was a Scamp on trade in to a car/rv dealership. That one was more how Mike described, trailer was filthy inside with a stained mattress we had to pay to dump, some undisclosed issues, not a good experience.
I always find that fiberglass trailers can look really good in photos and they hide a lot of flaws. Unless you are prepared for the unexpected I would recommend buying in person.
Sometimes when you buy from an owner they are really nice people but are just clueless about maintenance etc so you usually have to do several things to bring them up to par especially if you get a deal.
Good luck in your search.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:46 PM   #17

Trailer: Casita
There is a Used FiberglassRV Evaluation Check List on this forum. If you were looking long-distance at a trailer offered by an individual, maybe ask them to fill out the form. If I was the seller, I would be happy to do that and explain every line item that was less than excellent. I think you could get a good feel for the deal just by how they approach the evaluation.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:26 PM   #18

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
There is a Used FiberglassRV Evaluation Check List on this forum. If you were looking long-distance at a trailer offered by an individual, maybe ask them to fill out the form. If I was the seller, I would be happy to do that and explain every line item that was less than excellent. I think you could get a good feel for the deal just by how they approach the evaluation.
Sounds good, but keep in mind that fiberglass trailers are always in a sellers market.
I never had one for sale for three whole days before it was GONE... often with multiple buyers left standing with cash in hand and disappointment on their faces.
I found that when I bought, that I often had only hours at best to make a commitment to buy, even then I missed a few.
Once I had a seller (at 9PM) agree to hold a trailer until noon the next day while I arrived with the cash (110 mile drive) She reneged and sold it in the morning while I was in my truck and on my way.
Buying a newer trailer is not quite that frantic, but a seller still has little incentive to fill out forms or make special concessions.

BUT HEY!! Its a travel trailer...so travel.... ROAD TRIP! I have driven more than 600 miles more than once to retrieve a trailer with less than 24hours notice.
Its an adventure and you won't lose near as much (probably actually profit)on a fiberglass trailer as you will on the TV which you likely bought on impulse anyway.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:55 PM   #19

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Yes unfortunately like Floyd says most trailers will sell really quickly and if I was a seller and someone asked me to fill out the checklist for them I would just move on to the next person. Also as a seller it is hard to determine how serious people are long distance, sometimes they call and email with multiple questions that you take quite a bit of time to answer and then you never hear from them again or discover they don't have the money, their vehicle set up or another issue.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:32 AM   #20

Name: Doug
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
I just sold my egg, I would only take a deposit in person, I got a few angry emails, but that's what I was comfortable with, I've never done PayPal or an e transfer. Now to find a near new Scamp 5th wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Doug2000 is offline   Reply With Quote