Renting my Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-22-2013, 09:56 PM   #15

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I would never rent for many of the reasons given. BUT, I have lent my trailer to a friend for almost 2 week family trip that she didn't want to have to bunk in her families campers. So I offered mine. I drove it to the location and picked it up. It went fine! No horror story, other than I missed my trailer!

There were a couple of lil issues, but not of her doing! The place I bought a new battery at put my battery in backasswards and screwed some stuff up. But thankfully her sons are all pretty good with Rv's so they handled the issues. There are people I would say flat NO to......... But others I would consider! It's just a trailer and replaceable! It's not the crown jewels and I believe in helping people. My trailer is in very nice shape. I take good care of it. I am a clean freak, so yes I worry about a lot. But figure, I can clean and fix most stuff. I will lend it out again.............

Old 04-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #16

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
The comments from Jim and Robin make a lot of sense to me. It will be a sad day if a trailer is ever more important to me than my family; a stranger is another matter entirely.

We have discussed this before, at great length. Just search in the forum for "renting".

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:28 PM   #17

Name: Robert
Trailer: Currently looking
Washington
I understand the majority position, BUT...
I had a 30 ft power boat with everything in it. Two big fuel injected v-8s, electric anchor winch, full electronics, heat pump, multiple tanks, and on and on. Slept 6, weighed 13,000 pounds. Handling and docking took lots of skill and in short I never considered loaning or renting. So I appreciate others concerns. BUT, I sure wish I could rent a really small travel trailer like the scamp. I dont have room to store one and can hardly justify spending that much for two, maybe three weeks a year usage. It's a safe guess that most all trailers are seriously under utilized and if an owner could find the right person to help defray costs that seems like win-win. Some of us have a lot of skill fixing anything that might happen (retired engineer) and take pride in making sure that a private party is fully happy with the transaction. Decades ago I rented a Winnebago Indian for a week and the other husband and I spent a rainy afternoon fixing two problems that had baffled the owner. He was really, really happy. Tried to rent the next year, but his insurance co. said no. Seems a shame.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:13 PM   #18

Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
Registry
Awesome Vintage Trailers!

have seen these two on craigslist in bellingham.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:42 PM   #19

Washington
Wow! I'll check it out!! Thanks!
Old 03-26-2014, 07:51 PM   #20

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I have no clue where you want to go or how much your're willing to spend, but there's this in Washington state: Old School Trailer Works ยป Tow Rentals
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:34 PM   #21

Washington
Thanks Donna. My wife and I retired and really flexible. I was even considering driving to LA when that seemed closest. Your recommendation and ChristopherM's appear to be the same rental group and we're pumped. Only downside is no pets. We have two zero-shed, bathed regularly schoondles. Oh well.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:01 PM   #22

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I provided NO recommendation. Just a URL I've captured. Call them, check it out, what would be the hurt? It may cost you more for a deposit... but, unless you ask... they've already said NO.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:35 PM   #23

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Two Schoodles? I am afraid that you are only making it tougher on yourself.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:01 AM   #24

Name: Filbert
Trailer: Tote N Tarry
California
Be it houses, apartments, motorcycles, cars, or trailers, renters rarely take as good care of borrowed items as their own. They have no investment in the item, so have no reason to use it with care. How many of us have loaned out our tools or other items to friends/relatives, only to have to ASK to get them back? Like they say, "No good deed goes unpunished."
Old 03-27-2014, 11:50 AM   #25

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
I agree with prev. posts on using any camper is a learning experience, would add that while I would loan our scamp to our adult children I would have to be willing to accept that their small children could damage some of the more delicate parts. Think windows and two rowdy grandsons.

If you can not afford to lose it don't give it in the first place. I figure it's like loaning money to family, don't "loan" it. Make it a gift, if you can't afford to live with not being paid back don't put that potential problem into the relationship. If they do pay you back great but if they must pay you back....

Tools, equipment, campers do break or have accidents, if you would have to carry a grudge or end up in small claims court over the cost of repairs then it's probably not a good idea.

Schnoodles X 2 wow that must keep you from being bored. One Schnauzer makes life interesting for us. In a good way generally, except for the "must kill all squirrels" can be a little bit of a pain sometimes.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:36 AM   #26

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Old thread, but my $.02

I rent out my car trailer. The price? $1500 for the weekend. If you bring it back in the same shape it left, I refund $1300. Tires and breakdowns are all on the renter. If you don't bring it back, I really don't care, you already paid for it.

The scamp would be the same. $10,000 for the week, and if it comes back, I will give you $9500 back.

I've never had a problem with anybody that rented my trailer in this manner. Very few choose to rent mine, but I don't care. The ones that do, aren't going to screw it up.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:11 AM   #27

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
In Alberta at least, if the borrower, (not sure about renter) damages your trailer, then it is covered by their liability insurance.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:32 PM   #28

Name: kevin
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Colorado
Liability insurance

In the US, liability insurance covers anything attached to the car. However coverage is based on depreciated value which is based on stick built trailer prices. So if your trailer is over two or three years old, you insurance basically regards it as worthless.

Tags
scamp