Renting out your fiberglass trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2009, 02:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Kristen Beck Send a message via Yahoo to Kristen Beck
Just curious if anyone has ever rented out their trailer? We have found a couple that lives nearby that wants to rent a trailer for a 2 week vacation and it has to be pulled with a Honda Element. I was just curious if a rental agreement is made up and signed or how this might work. Any input would be appreciated. They sound like very nice and responsible people and we have both consulted our insurance companies on liability. Just wondering about a rental agreement. thanks a bunch,

kristen
Kristen Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Try this

Scamp Rental Reservation

I would like to reserve the Scamp trailer for the below dates and estimated cost. A $500.00 reservation down payment shall be paid to ____________________to reserve the Scamp for rental.

Pickup Date:_____________________
Return Date:_____________________
Number of Nights:________________
RV Rate per Night:________________
TOTAL Nightly Cost (Nights x Rate):__________________________________________

CANCELLATION POLICY. In the event of a cancellation, a cancellation fee of $100.00 will be deducted from the deposit, if the cancellation is made up to 60 days prior to the pickup date. If the renter cancels less than 60 days or is a no show, there will be no refund of the down payment

INSURANCE. The customer shall provide proof of insurance 7 days prior to the pickup date, which will cover the customer and Scamp for the duration of the rental period.

SMOKING. No smoking is allowed in the Scamp.

DRIVER REQUIREMENTS. The scamp can only be rented by a qualified driver 25 years of age or older possessing a valid and identifiable driver’s license. All drivers must be covered under the customer’s insurance and will be bound by the terms and conditions of the rental agreement.

Tell us where you’ll be taking the Scamp what you’ll be doing:____________________________________________ ___________________
__________________________________________________ __________________
__________________________________________________ __________________

Contact Information:______________________________________ ____________
Home Phone:__________________________
Home Address:___________________________________
Work Phone_________________________________________
Cell Phone:_________________________________
City,______________________
State,_________________________
Zip: __________________________

Credit Card Information:
Name on Card::____________________________________________
Billing Address: _________________________________________________
Type: Visa or Master Card (please circle one)

Card Number:___________________________________________ _
City,_______________________
State,_________________________
Zip:________________________________
Expiration Date:_____________________________
CVC/CVV:*
*Your CVC/CVV Number is found on the back of your credit card on the signature panel. It is comprised of the last three digits appearing on the signature panel.

__________________________________________________ Date:________________

Signature_________________________________________ ___________________
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:16 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You can just hand them the keys and say have fun too. Thats what a neighbor did for my family with his motorhome and trailer over the years we needed it. Like you, we checked with both insurance companies first. I can say from experience, this gesture gives a lifetime of appreciation to a family and kids.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:39 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Kristen Beck Send a message via Yahoo to Kristen Beck
I would like to be the person that just hands over the keys but with a little security as well, so thank you both for your ideas! I will take the rental agreement and do a little revamping. I really do appreciate the assistance. I think it's a wonderful idea to rent out a trailer, gives the trailer a little fun and the renter some ideas on what to buy! I also emailed the website to the potential renter so he can check things out about the scamps and fiberglass trailers in general. Maybe after they stay in it for 2 weeks they'll buy one for themselves.
Kristen Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Make sure everything works, the renter knows everything works and everything must work when the trailer is returned... or else they pay the repair bill. Things happen, but so do people doing stupid things when they can't figure them out.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:41 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Fiberglass travel trailers are as personal, to me, as underwear. Everyone should have their own, ..... and don't expect to use mine.
LSChilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:44 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Fiberglass travel trailers are as personal, to me, as underwear. Everyone should have their own, ..... and don't expect to use mine.
Hi: Larry... Funny you should mention unmentionables ... Underwear is supposed to be the indicator of the end of the recession!!! When men start buying new ones... It's over!!!
I just got mine.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:12 PM   #8

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
this is an interesting topic because my brother, who has a pop-up tent trailer, asked about borrowing our Escape, but with all the fancy hitch 'stuff' (equalizer) and the thingie under the dash in the car to adjust the electrical brakes on the trailer, I told him the trailer was pretty vehicle specific. His hitch is different and trailer lighter. It seems it is the towing/hitch arrangements that could make renting out a trailer doable or not.

Other than that it seems a good idea for the reasons mentioned, and nice way for an egg earn a little of it's maintenance costs! As long as prudent rental precautions are made - having the person's credit card number (shown on the above rental agreement) is only a protection if you are set up (as in have a business that handles credit cards) to make credit card charges for damages or a missing trailer, you might want to ask for a check written in a large amount which you hold and return upon them returning the trailer.

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:45 PM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
I've said no to some who have asked to borrow our Boler. Mostly because I don't have confidence in their towing ability and that they would take the same precautions and care as I would. If I did something and hurt the Boler is one thing, but if they did due to inexperience it would be a lot tougher.

Insurance may only cover liability and may not cover damage. So if you go ahead, I would include in any agreement a large cash deposit refundable only after inspection when the trailer is returned. Checks are fine, but they could put a stop payment on it. Not that I am predicting bad things could happen. But good friendships and good neighbor relations have been ruined over lesser things than damaged trailers.

Dianne
Dianne Dohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #10

Trailer: 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
NO - NO - NO.

Unless you go with them. Believe me, something will be broken when it is returned.
Jan Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:57 PM   #11

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Uhaul tried it and did not find it something that they wished to continue with. That is why several of us on this forum own one. Not only did they loose a lot of money, they found it too difficult to control what people did with the trailers. I heard some pretty gross stories of the shape that the rental units were returned in.
I understand that Uhaul was so unhappy with this rental that several unfinished trailers were dumped into a lake.

CindyL
Old 06-04-2009, 05:35 PM   #12

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Reace & Tammy at Escape trailers got started by fixing up and renting Trilliums, you might give them a call and ask them for advice. It was through the suggestions of their renters that motivated them to design and make the Escape trailers. When we heard this story it sounded like a positive experience for them, though as in any rental business I am sure there are horror stories as well as sweet stories.

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:58 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler 1984
We loaned out our new at the time crank up to brother in law and his wife and it came back broken.
"Oh sorry! I guess that it wasn't made properly"
There was no offer to fix it and we had to have the work done at our expense. That was in '74 and we haven't loaned anything out since. Do me once and it's part of the learning curve, you won't do me twice.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:35 PM   #14

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question

Link to previous discussion: Would you loan out your egg? Or rent it?
Old 06-05-2009, 10:52 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Smile

as these forks stated in the older post: Absolutly NO WAY would I loan out my trailer to anyone (including my children) There are too many dangers and liablities for someone not familiar with towing, backing, and propane just to name a few. --------------------
Bill/Toshi & Mago Chan
Travelin' Texans

Besides, One BIG reason I rather tow a trailer than stay in motel/hotel rooms, I do not have to sleep and eat with someone elses DNA.
This last reason would not apply to my kids. But for liablities as a matter of fact my son was the first one to tow our egg, he & his wife picked it up at the MN factory and tow it down to Loveland, CO where we met them to get it. They were welcome to sleep in on the way, but they declined. Wanted us to be the first to sleep in it. Our daughter-in-law did take a shower in it.

2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:59 AM   #16

Trailer: Casita
NO,NO and NO!. I told my brother in law yes you can show up but you can't use my bathroom, you can't use my shower and you can't sleep in it but other than that it will be great fun. You just have to sleep in your truck or on the dirt and wash your face in the lake.
shane n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:11 PM   #17

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
We're pretty new at Scamping, having just acquired our 13' last October. My Sister-in-law and her husband have already hinted at borrowing said Scamp. I love these people but I think I love the trailer more. Renting or loaning is seriously not an option. When we've lent stuff out before we've had things come back broken or in worse condition when we lent it. Our new motto is "if you're borrowing from us, it better come back in the same condition or better". People don't seem to ask much anymore.
Kirby and Adele is offline   Reply With Quote