Roadside Assistance - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-30-2014, 06:56 AM   #15

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
I was with AAA in Virginia. When I had a blowout on a fully loaded (including two cats and a bird) pickup on I-95 in North Carolina 39 miles from the Virginia border, it took nearly four hours for them to come help me. It was very uncomfortable in 95 degree July, and really scary with the truck barely in the median and all the big rigs whizzing by. Needless to say, I've found other insurance for this type of situation. If you have USAA, their service is excellent, and they do have RV insurance.

And that's also why I'm buying the spare tire for my new Lil Snoozy. That recently inherited pickup didn't have one.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:07 AM   #16

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
I have heard (on other forums) that Good Sam will NOT tow you if you have showdogs...not pets, showdogs. That may only apply to the class A/B/C people though.

Mon

Old 01-30-2014, 10:11 AM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel in Sk View Post
Oh dear - I guess we should check what coverage we have! I know we have CAA for the vehicle, the trailer has damage/theft insurance - not a clue about coverage for towing.
Hazel I have found that in order to get your trailer towed using CAA Roadside assistance you need to purchase the "Plus RV" membership.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:35 AM   #18

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I believe that the AAA of SoCal policy is to reimburse the member up to the limits of the original coverage when the local "Club" has different coverage.

At least that was what I was told when I asked about out of state coverage. I have had AAA for over 35 years and never had an issue when I needed road service out of state, including with RV's.

But always ask/verify if you don't know, different clubs may differ.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:08 PM   #19

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
we used to be with CAA but switched to good sam about 5 years ago. the first year we had our trailer, luckily without needing to use our CAA coverage, we found out that we could get better tow distances and have our trailer towed for a better rate than CAA...of course, that was the "newcomer discount" at good sam. this year, our coverage, which just is up for renewal this month, is $130 for total coverage of all of our vehicles plus any trailer, for both of us.
if we got CAA coverage, it would be a comparable amount without the trailer coverage. so, to us, it's a no-brainer that we'll go with good sam.
we've had 2-3 times per year that we've utilized them...little things that required a tow to a local garage (we've always been able to specify where we wanted the car towed to). always excellent response time and excellent customer service.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:01 PM   #20

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Thanks to everyone that has contributed. I'll start making calls next week.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:55 PM   #21

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
I've had Good Sam for years but just this past Deccember I called to get a tow out of my driveway because it was a sheet of glass after snow and rain. I was refused a tow because it was weather related and not due to accident or breakdown. When back home I'll be dropping this coverage and looking for another.Inital discussion with Coach Net indicated that they would do weather related tows and with a lower premium price.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:29 PM   #22

Name: B
Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
Oregon
NO MORE AAA for this camper!

I am in agreement with Frederick. About two years ago, I was driving from my home on the North Coast of Oregon to deliver a Casita to a buyer in Portland, WHEN the stinger disengaged from my tow vehicle...thank God for the safety chains, or it would've rolled right down the coastal range mountain into any following vehicles. I had a premium AAA coverage, called them, they put me on their list to come out and rescue. When they asked what was wrong with my tow vehicle, I said, "nothing" was wrong. The problem was with my trailer. They told me I had NO COVERAGE for my trailer and that I'd have to pay quite a bit extra for that.
I've just gotten Good Sam's and chose the policy that covers both my trailer and my tow rig. Their price for both is much cheaper than AAA's.

So far, so good with Good Sam.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:45 PM   #23

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuehler View Post
I had a premium AAA coverage, called them, they put me on their list to come out and rescue. When they asked what was wrong with my tow vehicle, I said, "nothing" was wrong. The problem was with my trailer. They told me I had NO COVERAGE for my trailer and that I'd have to pay quite a bit extra for that.
I've just gotten Good Sam's and chose the policy that covers both my trailer and my tow rig. Their price for both is much cheaper than AAA's.

So far, so good with Good Sam.

And the problem was: what??? That you hadn't purchased coverage for the trailer? That's exactly how I found out the limits of the AAA coverage that I had purchased.

I had a breakdown and only the tug was covered. In no way was that the insurer's fault/funeral. I paid for the trailer tow, learned my lesson and have since always made sure that anything I tow is included in the coverage that I buy.

As you have done with Good Sam, and as anyone can do with triple A.

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote