S. Fla buying in york, pa - help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2016, 06:54 AM   #1

Name: Sara
Trailer: I'm now married to a 16 Foot 93 Scamp!
Florida
S. Fla buying in york, pa - help

I am seriously interested in buying a 95 Scamp 16 Ft trailer advertised on Craigslist in York, Pa. I do not want to drive 1120 miles and find it is a scam, or that it has been sold. I also don't know how to provide a deposit in a safe manner to guarantee that the seller will hold it while I drive the 1120 miles. I would GREATLY appreciate any advice that members can provide. I've been searching for a Casita or Scamp that I could afford for a long time and do not want to lose this opportunity. Hoping someone will help me out here. I also read somewhere that a deposit can be held in "Escrow" and wonder how this works and what companies offer this service.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:56 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
start out by getting a phone number so you can talk to someone and get a feel for if it sounds legit. Generally scams will be posted in several areas of the country and I don't see that with this camper. At that price you'll have to move quick. Good luck
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:18 AM   #3

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I found my Scamp on Craigs List three years ago and had many phone conversations with the seller and knew he was legit.

Phone him/her and ask as many questions as you can - what he likes or not, where he took it on his trips, what his tow vehicle is, etc etc. A scammer will sound irritated after a while, whereas an owner will speak to you.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:22 AM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Be careful here. Both ad's have some red flags . Low price is one and funky spelling is another.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:02 AM   #5

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
Be careful here. Both ad's have some red flags . Low price is one and funky spelling is another.
I wouldn't put too much weight on bad spelling - my seller misspelled "sperit" in the Craigslist ad for our Casita Spirit Deluxe.

Ads where the price is crudely photoshopped into the picture are often bogus, although dealers sometimes do this.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:23 AM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBreez View Post
I wouldn't put too much weight on bad spelling - my seller misspelled "sperit" in the Craigslist ad for our Casita Spirit Deluxe.

Ads where the price is crudely photoshopped into the picture are often bogus, although dealers sometimes do this.
Thank you for your advice and for taking the time to respond. I have already encountered no less than 25 scam artists and fortunately have NOT lost any money. The price is of course low if in fact it is in decent shape. I did email him for his phone number and/or asked him to call me. Let's see what happens . . .
Old 04-26-2016, 09:26 AM   #7

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
start out by getting a phone number so you can talk to someone and get a feel for if it sounds legit. Generally scams will be posted in several areas of the country and I don't see that with this camper. At that price you'll have to move quick. Good luck
I'm waiting on a phone number. He did respond to my first email with some more pics and answered a few of my questions. Seller has my phone number and hasn't called me back yet. I am trying to move quick (if there is such a thing with 1120 miles in between us) It could be of course "too good to be true" and I could be in wishful thinking land. Thank you for your advice and for taking the time to respond.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:28 AM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
I found my Scamp on Craigs List three years ago and had many phone conversations with the seller and knew he was legit.

Phone him/her and ask as many questions as you can - what he likes or not, where he took it on his trips, what his tow vehicle is, etc etc. A scammer will sound irritated after a while, whereas an owner will speak to you.
This is very good advice and I thank you for taking the time to write a response. Still waiting for him to all me.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:30 AM   #9

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
I am trying to be careful . . . Yes, the low price was/is a red flag and in spite of this, I have not completely written the seller off. You never really know if today will be one of those good days when something that is too good to be true, ends up actually being true. Thanks again!
Old 04-26-2016, 09:32 AM   #10

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
In addition to specific questions about the trailer, ask him for the VIN so you can look it up. Also ask if he has an unencumbered title.
Good luck.

Walt
Old 04-26-2016, 09:34 AM   #11

Florida
SOLD FAST FOR $5500

The seller just emailed me back to say he sold for $5500.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:52 AM   #12

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
He did not call you back because he was too busy counting the money.

Knowing the lack of supply and the overpriced product available on the used market I might suggest to formulate a game plan.

First look at trailers that are closer to you.
Be prepared to move fast...be the first to contact then go and look at the trailer with cash in hand.
Waiting for a call back means he has a buyer on the hook.
Be first or be disappointed.

Option "B" : Expand you search to include all travel trailers including conventional units that are widely available. Florida has one of the largest used travel trailer inventories in the country.

Good Luck.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:59 AM   #13

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBreez View Post

I looked at the AD. I said funky spelling, not bad. Look at the AD 'you'll see what I mean.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:00 AM   #14

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
He did not call you back because he was too busy counting the money.

Knowing the lack of supply and the overpriced product available on the used market I might suggest to formulate a game plan.

First look at trailers that are closer to you.
Be prepared to move fast...be the first to contact then go and look at the trailer with cash in hand.
Waiting for a call back means he has a buyer on the hook.
Be first or be disappointed.

Option "B" : Expand you search to include all travel trailers including conventional units that are widely available. Florida has one of the largest used travel trailer inventories in the country.

Good Luck.
GOOD ADVICE! and of course it really is somewhat looney to consider a trailer so far from home. What is a "conventional" trailer?
Old 04-26-2016, 10:48 AM   #15

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I live in Virginia and within a few hours of posting my Parkliner for sale, I sold it to someone in Estes Park, CO., so long distance sales can work as long as both parties take proper care.

Walt
Old 04-26-2016, 10:49 AM   #16

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
If I had to pick out a scam ad this would be the one.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:45 PM   #17

Name: Thomas
Trailer: 2016 ,17ft Spirt deluxe Casita.
Florida
Just checked CL York, Pa. no listing for a Scamp of any year....as of 2:45 today
ironbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 01:13 PM   #18

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybercuban View Post
GOOD ADVICE! and of course it really is somewhat looney to consider a trailer so far from home. What is a "conventional" trailer?
We just got a tour of a 2000 Scamp that the owners had bought three years ago in Utah. They traveled all the way from Maine. So it's not unheard of in this crazy molded-fiberglass market.

Have been looking at this site?

Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers For Sale | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

There are Scamps, Casitas, and others that turn up frequently in Florida.

'Conventional' trailers are sometimes termed 'stick-built', i.e. not molded; they're the ones you see on RV-dealers' lots. There are some in the under-20-length that are pretty nice, and priced considerably lower than the fiberglass ones, especially used (they depreciate much faster).

/Mr Lynn
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 01:43 PM   #19

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
South Dakota
One way to check if an ad is a scam is to right click on the picture, one of your options is to check Google for that image. I've found numerous times where someone either copied someone else's ad or posted it for sale all over the country.
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:49 PM   #20

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybercuban View Post
The seller just emailed me back to say he sold for $5500.
That just could be empty words.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote