Scamp Insurance coverage information - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-27-2011, 01:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Scamp Insurance coverage information

My Insurance guy said. If I am camping and a storm comes up, make sure, you hook up your trailer, to your tow rig. If it gets damaged, it will be covered under your auto Insurance. If it's not hooked up, to your tow rig, it will not be covered, unless you have RV trailer insurance.
Name:   33641-01-200.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  22.2 KB
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Here it would not be insured regardless as to being hooked up or not as the trailer needs totally seperate plates and insurance.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:08 PM   #3

Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13' Deluxe
Minnesota
We bought camper insurance for ours and it was only 27.00 a year. Can't afford to be without it for that price. Don't know if it makes a differance or not, but we have two houses and three autos insured with them so the price may be lower.
Mary Ann in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
My Insurance guy said. If I am camping and a storm comes up, make sure, you hook up your trailer, to your tow rig. If it gets damaged, it will be covered under your auto Insurance. If it's not hooked up, to your tow rig, it will not be covered, unless you have RV trailer insurance.Attachment 35455
My insurance agent said the same thing. However, for a small premium, I have RV insurance (under $50/yr? can't remember exact premium).

The problem is, figuring out a solid "value" to insure... they figured a 30+ year old camper should be nearly worthless!
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
My Insurance guy said. If I am camping and a storm comes up, make sure, you hook up your trailer, to your tow rig. If it gets damaged, it will be covered under your auto Insurance. If it's not hooked up, to your tow rig, it will not be covered, unless you have RV trailer insurance.Attachment 35455
Our TV insurance has always covered the trailer for liability only ,and then ONLY when attached to an insured TV.
For comp and collision a separate policy is required.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:06 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Our insurance has always covered the trailer for liability only ,and then ONLY when attached to an insured TV.
For comp and collision a separate policy is required.
Floyd, you mean that your TV's insurance covers the trailer for liability only, correct? I assume you don't have an RV policy at all?
Old 04-27-2011, 09:19 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeP View Post
Floyd, you mean that your TV's insurance covers the trailer for liability only, correct? I assume you don't have an RV policy at all?
I'm not sure why you made that assumption, I have a separate full coverage policy on "Eggy-Sue"(the pullit Surprize) About $140 per year. Liability on the trailer is included with the TV policy at no extra charge when attached.
This thread is the first I have ever heard anyone claim that they had anything more than liability simply by virtue of attachment to the TV, and I've been towing for about 40years.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:34 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I'm not sure why you made that assumption, I have a separate full coverage policy on "Eggy-Sue"(the pullit Surprize) About $140 per year.
This thread is the first I have ever heard anyone claim that they had anything more than liability simply by virtue of attachment to the TV, and I've been towing for about 40years.
My apologies, Floyd, I didn't understand your wording. I read it that your insurance has always been that you have liability when towed by an insured TV. And that full comp would be separate... so, I didn't read it that you had a policy.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:43 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeP View Post
My apologies, Floyd, I didn't understand your wording. I read it that your insurance has always been that you have liability when towed by an insured TV. And that full comp would be separate... so, I didn't read it that you had a policy.
No need,I didn't think it was a salient point, so I didn't specify.
Because of it's value and our attachment to our 13 Scamp, we have decided to insure it. It is the first trailer for which we have ever bought a dedicated policy. We always insure for liability... comp and collision , however, is limited to the value of the vehicle, and is therefore optional.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:28 AM   #10

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... Our Insurance is very simple!!! The TV won't cover the trailer...the trailer won't cover the TV and if I back the trailer into the house, the house ins. won't cover anything!!! If I make a claim against any of the "Policies" they'll try to get out of it...for sure; so everything is covered. LoL
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:20 AM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
LOL same situation here Alf :-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp