Shipping a trailer.. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-27-2014, 09:43 AM   #15

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywickstrom View Post
My wife and I recently bought a Scamp 16', but we do not yet have a vehicle capable of towing it. We borrowed a CRV to drive down from Chicago to Blacksburg VA but realized along the way that, contrary to assurances we were given about it's towing capacity, decided that attempting it would be foolish or dangerous.
There's a lot of that goin' around...what set you straight halfway into the trip?

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:34 AM   #16

Name: Andy
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
We were told by the lender of the CRV that the hitch was rated to 3500lbs and told it would be fine. All of the research we'd seen contradicted that and as we read more and more, the thought of possibly doing damage to their car just to get the thing up our way was not worth the headache.

Since we climb at the Red River Gorge a lot in Kentucky, we are very comfortable with that distance from Chicago, which was just a couple hours east of where we were anyway, so heading back that way in the coming weeks isn't horrible. I definitely have trust issues with third-party shippers and stuff - greatly preferring a situation where I'm personally involved with it's transport.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:55 AM   #17

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
One way rental truck from Uhaul or Budget ??? Has watching "Shipping Wars" on TV made you nervous !!
Old 05-27-2014, 12:06 PM   #18

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Ya... the hitch might have been rated at 3500 lbs., but the CRV it is attached to is usually limited to 1500 lbs. Did you happen to look in the owners manual hidden in one of the 3-4 glove boxes found on CRV's for confirmation? (Hint: Look under the passengers seat)
Old 05-27-2014, 12:30 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywickstrom View Post
We were told by the lender of the CRV that the hitch was rated to 3500lbs and told it would be fine.
You did your friends a real favor- hope you educated tham to the fact that they've made a VERY common mistake: assuming that the numbers stamped on a (probably aftermarket) hitch dictates tow limits.

You correctly deduced that said number is related only to the capacity of the hitch itself. Towing capacity is of course limited by the lowest/weakest link in the chain.

Per the CRV: Dunno what year/model it is, but I don't think there has ever been a model with more than 2,000 pounds or so of towing capacity.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:31 PM   #20

Illinois
No, we didn't look too much further into it. Regardless, the CRV has been returned to my wife's sister, and the plan is to either buy a truck or ship—probably leaning towards finding a vehicle and doing the trip ourselves.

We thought we'd research shipping it though as a backup plan since we want to get it off the seller's driveway sooner rather than later!
Old 05-27-2014, 02:02 PM   #21

Registry
And now, for a wild off-topic veer, and with apologies to the O.P....but I simply MUST ask:

HEY Andy Wickstrom in Illinios!

Are you by any chance related to Janet Wickstrom, who married into the Knowles family back in the 'forties and now lives out here in Washington State? She also had a couple of brothers- Keith, who died during WWII, and Bob, gone now for about ten years.

She's my Mother-in-Law, and one of my husband's fondest childhood memories is visiting a farm belonging to relatives in Illinois that I think were from/on her side of the family. Any chance at all of some connection?
Old 05-27-2014, 02:06 PM   #22

Illinois
Hi Francesca,

I don't believe it's the same family, but you never know - maybe wayyy back in Sweden we are related!

I'm originally from Wisconsin, having moved to Chicago about 10 years ago. My folks live near the Twin Cities, though they moved down from near Lake Superior when we were kids.

I don't often hear that name, so you definitely wonder sometimes if you are related to folks with the name!

a
Old 06-06-2014, 12:46 PM   #23

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Sounds like a job for ancestry.com.