Shipping a trailer.. - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-05-2014, 11:03 AM   #1

Name: Ashley
Trailer: 1986 Uhaul CT
Utah
Shipping a trailer..

I know I've seen it mentioned before, but what company have you used to ship a trailer? I'm considering shipping a 16' trailer from NY to Utah and need to get a price estimate to factor into the total costs. Can someone post a link to a thread with info or a company they would recommend? (I'm mobile and didn't have much luck searching)

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-05-2014, 11:05 AM   #2

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
Try this site
Hauling Ads - Yesterday's Tractor Co.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:11 PM   #3

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2004 Casita Liberty 17
British Columbia
Shipping Companies in Canada | International Shipping to Canada - uShip

Some folks have used this site, you put on what and where you want shipped and different companies bid on it. You can see previous feedback on the hauler.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:33 PM   #4

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
One thing to make sure of is that they actually load the trailer on a flat bed and not pull it behind something big. A number of people here over the years have reported problems/damage as a result of their trailers having been hauled behind a big rig set up.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:52 PM   #5

Utah
Thank you for the tips! And keep 'em coming
Old 02-05-2014, 02:58 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Watch "Shipping Wars" on the A&E channel, maybe one of those characters will do it. I have seen ads on craigslist for moving campers. I had a pickup transported from Arizona to New York state. Found a broker who set it up, worked OK except the Mexican driver couldn't follow directions and I had to look all over to find him instead of it being delivered to my house.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:39 PM   #7

Name: Paul
Trailer: Escape 19 ft (sold) Escape 21 May 2014
Wisconsin
Registry
I have shipped a trailer halfway across Canada and have an interested party for my Escape 19 who is attempting to ship it to California. Both efforts are or have used U-ship. For the first shipment across Canada I found a carrier who became the primary shipper for Escape after my use. A very good experience.

The second experience with U-ship is still unfolding and I am somewhat of the third party as the buyer is making the arrangements. A shipper was arranged several weeks ago, I met this carrier at the warehouse where the trailer was stored. I looked over the carrier's vehicle and towing arrangement and was satisfied, I think he was capable of doing a good job. I then asked for a Bill of Lading, DOT or MCA number and proof of insurance faxed or emailed to me from the insurance company of the carrier. These are all recommended steps from U-ship. The guy doing the pick up could provide none of the above, he contacted whoever was on the other end of arranging the shipment, someone you might call a broker. That party emailed me a Bill of Lading that did not have the carriers name or address, no destination and no signature. Pretty much a blank BOL. He was not in his office so could not provide me the other requests.

Needless to say, the carrier left without the trailer. In talking with the prospective buyer (remember he is arranging the shipment) he is finding there are two categories of carriers. The "gypsies" who haul for the lowest price and are not licensed or insured and the established haulers who cost more and are licensed plus they can provide some documentation and the important Bill of Lading which gives them the right to transport.

I had checked with my insurance carrier before all this and was assured that the trailer was still covered by my policy. The trailer is actually in my name until delivered and signed off by the purchaser. Then the title transfers. All pre-shipment screening on your part is not going to stop a carrier from leaving your trailer on the side of the road, delivery to Mexico, damage or being held for ransom. All you can do is try to level the playing field.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:55 PM   #8

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Greetings,

I went through U-Ship to have our Parkliner shipped from the factory in NC to our home on the Oregon Coast. The gentleman that won the _bid war_ was a long haul truck driver and he did a great job. Our trailer was towed wheels-on-the-ground behind his truck/suv and i knew this going into the deal. He has a contract with an Oregon jet-boat builder and he lives in TN so he often looks for some way to fill the miles between his ~east coast~ home and out to the West. For anyone interested i can share his contact details through PM as needed.

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:00 PM   #9

Utah
Thom I would love a PM with some contact info, and if you don't mind me asking a price range? I don't need exact numbers, just an idea of what it may cost
Old 02-06-2014, 10:24 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I've used U-Ship about a dozen times for shipping antique tractors with no problems, so when I found my Casita near Denver, I had the driver flatbed it to Portland Oregon for less than the cost of gas for me to go and drag it back - $950 including a $20 tip...

Here's the pic from Denver after loading, prior to the haul. First load on, last load off 3 days later.

Charlie Y
Attached Thumbnails
on the way.jpg  

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:47 PM   #11

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuanis View Post
Thom I would love a PM...
Sent off a PM to you w/info.
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:59 AM   #12

Name: Andy
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
My wife and I recently bought a Scamp 16', but we do not yet have a vehicle capable of towing it. We borrowed a CRV to drive down from Chicago to Blacksburg VA but realized along the way that, contrary to assurances we were given about it's towing capacity, decided that attempting it would be foolish or dangerous. Needless to say, the trailer is ours on paper, but resides in VA. Any opinions on shipping it versus purchasing a truck and doing the drive down again? One quote from u-ship.com was 600.00.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:56 AM   #13

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
There are several decisions you will have to make. How will you tow the Scamp after you get it home? If you are going to need a bigger TV, then getting the truck makes sense. The trip to Blacksburg is about 1250 miles, so you might have about $300 in fuel round trip. Then, do you stay in a motel and eat along the way? That adds cost, too. The $600 quote is sounding better but you may be more comfortable knowing that you are pulling your own trailer rather than trusting a shipping company. Lots of decisions!
Old 05-27-2014, 08:56 AM   #14

Name: Kenny
Trailer: 16' Standard
Ohio
Registry
Shipping

Andy,
Last summer I sold my 5th Wheel Scamp and the people who bought it hired a fellow to pick it up. He was not set up properly because he was told it was a 5th wheel and Scamps are modified goose necks. Also he had a full sized truck and rear bumper clearance was a problem. He was a good man and I helped him get everything set right and it cost him an extra day delay.
I was so impressed with his ability and honest nature that I kept his contact number if I should ever need him.
His name is Dale Kiser, owner/operator of K & S Shipping.
I will PM his mobile number to you.
Kenny