Solar tax credit - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-11-2015, 05:24 PM   #57
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Forget the solar system.... Over the years I have purchased several Galaxies... talk about OFF THE GRID!
For heavens sake Floyd answer the question , did you take the tax credit? Raz

Old 09-11-2015, 05:28 PM   #58

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
After studying the IRS form and instructions, I see no obstacles to claiming the tax credit for Solar Electric equipment (and cost of the labor to install it) that is used at a second home. Furthermore, an RV or trailer with kitchen, bath and sleeping facilities does qualify as a (usually second) home (as long as you actually live in it at times, its not a business property, etc.). Disclaimer: I am not a tax professional and you should not take this as advice or counsel, but instead only my opinion, and offered only for discussion.

The requirement for certification by the Solar Rating and Certification Corporation (SRCC) or a comparable entity, that I mentioned in post 43, is listed in the IRS instructions for Solar Water Heating, but not for Solar Electric, so on second look, I believe that said certification is not required for a solar cell / electric setup. (Note that geothermal heat pumps need to meet the requirements of the Energy Star program and fuel cells also have an efficiency requirement)

The question arises, does the solar equipment need to be permanently installed, or do portable panels also qualify? The IRS instructions state:
Qualified solar electric property costs are costs for property that uses solar energy to generate electricity for use in your home located in the United States. (Non-pertinent verbiage deleted.) The home does not have to be your main home.
Nowhere in the instructions do I see a requirement that the equipment be permanently affixed or installed, only that it is used to generate electricity for the home. One manufacturer issues an eligibility certificate for their portable units as long as the portable unit is used “...in or in connection with a qualifying dwelling unit.” I would even argue that a portable unit that is used for powering my part time residence (known as a Scamp trailer) is even more qualified for the tax credit if I also use it at my main home for charging my cell phone or the like.

My solar unit will allow me to be off grid more often, and that translates to less use of shore power which is consistent with the intent of the tax credit. It also helps to stimulate R&D in the field which I believe is also an objective of the financial incentive. I will admit however that when I got my Economic Stimulus check in 2008, I did not use it to stimulate the economy. Instead I put the money in the bank. I am philosophically opposed to using the tax code for social engineering and I guess I don’t care what the intent of the tax rebates or credits are as long as I legally qualify for them. That qualification was the focus of my postings.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:07 PM   #59

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
For heavens sake Floyd answer the question , did you take the tax credit? Raz
My answer is... (depending on what your definition of is is...)
I have never itemized on my taxes and have never used solar panels to produce electricity.(except for my nifty little hand held calculator)
Old 09-11-2015, 07:57 PM   #60
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
My answer is... (depending on what your definition of is is...)
I have never itemized on my taxes and have never used solar panels to produce electricity.(except for my nifty little hand held calculator)
No Floyd, the Galaxy tax credit..... Free money. For heaven sake
Old 09-11-2015, 09:00 PM   #61

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
No Floyd, the Galaxy tax credit..... Free money. For heaven sake
That's "Galaxie" not galaxy ... They never made an electric or hybrid one, so no tax credit. (Taxi credit maybe??)
Old 09-12-2015, 07:55 AM   #62

Name: David
Trailer: Airstream International CCD 28
Florida
How do I unsubscribe from a thread?
Old 09-12-2015, 08:27 AM   #63

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetguy View Post
How do I unsubscribe from a thread?
There is a drop down menu at the top of the page under "Thread Tools" with that option.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:42 PM   #64

Name: Crystal
Trailer: 2008 Fun FinderX 160, wanted Eggcamper all electric
Michigan
They told me in MI it does count as 2nd residence if there is a bath and kitchen

Tags
solar