Taking my Scamp to BC? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-20-2012, 01:03 AM   #21

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Thanks for all the replies, information, humor and good company.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
(QUOTE=DYLANEAR) This is the main thrust of the thread! If I go over with US Cali plates on TV and trailer with the work permit, which I think will actually be much longer than the 9 month contract actually. And the contract I think indicates the position is ongoing (even if I know there's no guaranty beyond the first project). So customs will be expecting me to stay a while I suppose. So I am very interested in the implications of the trailer in my customs declaration! (QUOTE)

I imported my Scamp and its not a big deal. You do not need to do it if you are a visitors, for a period of 12 months or less; temporary residents such as students studying at an institution for their studies in Canada; or individuals with valid work permits for a period of 36 months or less.

If you decide your staying longer which a lot of visitors to our city do LOL which is why we have the highest real estate values in the English speaking world, you will need to register the trailer at the border into what we call the RIV program. The process of importing the trailer is simple. You do not need to take a trailer to the US Customs before importing it to Canada (you do with a car though and the process takes a few days). You just drive up to the Canadian border with the trailer with a Recall letter from Scamp which you need to register it into the RIV program. Scamp does lots of those letters and they know what it is and what it needs to say. The cost of registering it is currently $195. You will then need to take the trailer for an inspection - which is basically just looking to make sure all the lights work and that they have the DOT labels on them. Your Scamp will have no problems passing. You will not be able to register or obtain BC plates on the trailer until it has completed the RIV program..... your Miata as far as passing may be a whole different problem

If your Miata its more than 15 years old it will be pretty easy as it does not need to go into the RIV program - if its less than 15 years old it needs to also be entered into the RIV program. The list of admissible vehicles- Canada requires different safety features than the US so some cars sold in the US will not pass the safety inspection - even some of the brand new ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
Who knows, perhaps a friend will have a spare spot around town they'd rent cheap, but I suspect rent on parking spots in prime real estate is valuable!
I think you will find that most of the apartment towers do not have enough clearance to get a trailer into the underground parking. If you do find a friend with the house you will also find that there is a bylaw preventing them from keeping a trailer in the driveway during the winter months in Vancouver and North/West Vancouver. Sad but true. They can though hide it away in their backyard if there is access to it or inside a garage. As far as finding a spare parking spot in town that someone wants to rent cheap - I suspect you will find the words cheap and Vancouver are not often said in the same sentence. Welcome to Vancouver

Another area to look at for long term storage is the Squamish area (40 min out of downtown) - its a outdoor meca with lots of camping areas and its only another 45 min to Whistler from there. You may find someone with spare parking spot there who does not have the same RV parking bylaws to contend with that those of us in "the city" have to.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #23

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Strangely enough, I've imported a .22 rifle, a Scamp and a Miata The only difference is that the Miata wasn't towing the Scamp. Although when I was much younger I towed a tent trailer with a TR4 with a canoe on the roof

A rifle isn't any big deal. Follow the rules, do the paperwork, no problem. Handguns are a different story. There're either prohibited or restricted and much more paperwork is required.

As Carol said, the trailer inspection is so simple and basic. If it's got lights and they can see the serial number you're done. Canadian Tire has the contract. Their fee is paid by the RIV fee that you pay at the border.

Cars; US customs requires 3 days notice to do the paperwork. Basically it gives them time to confirm that the car's not stolen. In Canada cars are required to have daytime headlights. Mine was fairly new so I took it to a dealer to have done. The older ones are easier and it can be a DIY job. Then on to Canadian Tire and their once over inspection.

I live on the North Shore at the foot of Seymour Mountain in a rain forest and get about twice the rain that downtown does. Mildew hasn't been a problem for me and if I only towed on non-rainy days I wouldn't get too far.

There is another RV storage park very close to the Air Care station. Lots of trailers stored there, but probably pricey.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:56 PM   #24

British Columbia
Ha! Got pictures of that TR4 towing?!!!

Thanks for the continuing information and experiences folks!
Old 06-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #25

British Columbia
I called the campground. They assured me, I asked about 4 times in the conversation, that they'd have a monthly spot for me when I showed up in early Sept. No reservations needed. They did say there is a 3 month minimum on the monthly rate. But even if I didn't stay the whole 3 months it would be cheaper paying for three months than even a month at the $75!!! daily rate.

Heck, if I manage to stay in the trailer all winter, that's about $6300 savings over what I'd expect to pay for a 1bdrm apartment near work.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:07 AM   #26

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
But even if I didn't stay the whole 3 months it would be cheaper paying for three months than even a month at the $75!!! daily rate. .
Glad to hear they have a more reasonable monthly rate. It's a beautiful area and your commute would be relatively easy. The bridge can get backed up sometimes but it's a real short trip to yale town...very bikable if your into that. I looked into to doing my first camping test run there and didn't have to think on it when i saw the rate.
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp