The continuing saga of registering the trailer... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-21-2007, 05:48 PM   #15

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
The plot thickens. I just got a letter- sent to my California address, NOT to the address here where I asked to have the registration sent. It says I owe another $19. I'm going to call Monday before I send it and find out what it is for and ask them to expedite it and PLEASE send the plates to the right place. (And obviously the trailer WAS in the system Thursday when I called and the idiot told me it was not.)

Bobbie

Old 07-21-2007, 06:55 PM   #16

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
The purchase price is recorded on the title transfer papers, so if one wanted to cheat, both seller and buyer would have to be in on it.
Yes, that's how it works. The seller may issue two reciepts - one for the Bill of Sale price, and another for the difference. The seller's willingness to participate in the fraud is a negotiating point.

Quote:
The real place to cheat would be on autos or things where part of the renewal fee is based on cost as well. A one-time tax is one thing, but on autos you have to pay that tax over and over again (it diminishes as the vehicle ages.)
Ontario sales tax used to be 7% (I'm not sure of the current rate). 7% of thousands of dollars - even once - is sufficient motivation for many. I had not heard of registration fees based on vehicle value, so I don't know how significant the cost is.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 04:03 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
I had not heard of registration fees based on vehicle value, so I don't know how significant the cost is.
Unfortunately, it's a common practice in some US states, like Calif, AZ, GA, NE and likely others and can be thousands of dollars on a new vehicle, continuing every year based on Blue Book Value, especially a BulgeMobile motorhome RV!! WA voters a few years back had a citizen's initiative to dump that form of taxation.

States with no sales tax, like OR, have had problems with out-of-staters claiming false residence to evade the tax on new RVs:

Quote:
Friday, December 14, 2001

Everyone Wants To Reduce Their Personal Tax Burden

Whenever the issue of eliminating the income tax and replacing it with a national sales tax comes up, I am asked what I will do for a career. My answer is that my career will go on just as before. Money is money. Instead of helping people reduce or elminate income taxes, I would be just as busy helping people do the same with their sales taxes.

A long running popular tax savings (aka avoidance, evasion) strategy for people who live in states that have high sales & property taxes is to register their vehicles in tax free states. Oregon is one of the most popular because there is no sales tax nor property tax on vehicles. Just as I warn people who ask about doing this, jealous neighbors usually turn in these people because nobody likes to see someone else avoiding the taxes the rest of us have to pay.

This article in today's Arkansas Democrat is interesting on several levels. The high taxes here in Arkansas have driven many people to register their vehicles in Oregon. There is even a local business providing that service for people, for a fee of $1,000. Just as with the most aggressive tax collection state, California, Arkansas is cracking down on the people it can find avoiding the Arkansas taxes.

The extra ironic thing about this Arkansas case is that the lawbreaker who has been arrested is a judge whose very own paychecks come from the same taxes he evaded.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:55 PM   #18

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Hi Bobbie,

Yes, it is frustrating! I spent a couple of hours in line for what I thought was a routine registration. Everyone else in line was frustrated as well. Don't know what to tell you. Hang in there!

BTW, I grew up in Fresno and graduated from Bullard HS. I have a distant cousin in Fresno with the same name as you, but a different spelling, Bobbeye Meyer, I think. Hope you get your registration accomplished.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:04 PM   #19

Washington
Registry
Well, the saga goes on.

The trailer is now in California, after a $29 expenditure to get a trip permit to move it through Washington and Oregon, and still sits, without current plates, in my garage. I called the Cal. DMV today to see what the status is. They told me that "Sacramento" has sent me a "correspondence."

Of course, they have no idea what that correspondence is. It was mailed August 31 (I assume from Sacramento, though I suppose they could be outsourcing their correspondence work to parts unknown.) It has not arrived in Fresno, 3 hrs away, as of today, the third working day after August 31. I don't know if it was mailed to me here in Fresno or to Washington (in which case it would be forwarded back here.) I tried to call Sacramento but was put on hold and as it was close to closing, will wait until tomorrow.

I asked about a temporary operating permit. The guy I talked to said they won't give me one for a trailer. Then he said they would, but I have to pay all the fees. (How do I know if all the fees are paid since they can't seem to tell me why I'm not getting the license/title/registration?)(How will THEY know if all the fees are paid?) I don't need to bring the trailer but I need the paperwork. Hello, the paperwork went to Sacramento more than three months ago.

I made an appointment for next Tuesday to get the temp. permit (probably another futile exercise) and will try calling Sacramento again tomorrow. (That one is not an 800 number so being put on hold is even more annoying.)

Who knew it was going to be this hard? If I'd waited until I got back here to register the trailer I'd be done now.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:52 PM   #20

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
What a nightmare! Hope you can get it all accomplished before Lake Casitas! But I'll bet you're wanting to take some additional trips into the mountains before then. Don't forget to try Eshom Campground, near Badger (not Badger Pass). Wonderful place, first come first serve, and great camp hosts. However, it will be closed for two weeks in September for some Native American gathering. And you need to try Rock Creek, up 41 and out of North Fork towards Mammoth Pools (not Mammoth Lakes). Again, very nice camp hosts. Both are 1 1/2-2 hours away. Good luck!
Old 09-07-2007, 12:39 PM   #21

Washington
Registry
Quote:
What a nightmare! Hope you can get it all accomplished before Lake Casitas!
Well... called Sacramento again. The person I talked to said they had sent the file to "matching" which is I guess where they try to match seller's records with buyers? Not sure.. Anyway, that dept. had sent me the yet-to-be-received letter. She did clarify that "sent" August 31 did not mean sent August 31. It meant, it went into the slow-moving bureaucratic mail system on that day and might have made it into the mail by Tuesday or Wednesday this week. And... she promised to "get right out to me" a temporary operating permit. (We'll see if that materializes and by "get right out" does she mean it went out in today's mail or it might go out September 31st?

I still have the appointment to get the Temp permit Tuesday afternoon.

It's amazing that this entire state does not grind to a halt.

Bobbie
Old 09-10-2007, 05:56 PM   #22

Washington
Registry
I have a temporary operating permit, good through the end of October!!!

Thanks be to the wonderfully helpful woman I talked to last Thursday who said she would get one right out to me.

Still no sign of the letter supposedly mailed August 31, though.

Bobbie
Old 09-11-2007, 11:46 PM   #23

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
It's amazing that this entire state does not grind to a halt.
I'm thinking you have to act a little more like Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger

Just keep saying ...
Quote:
I'll be back

In a more serious tone, I wish you well.

Roy
Old 10-04-2007, 02:15 PM   #24

Washington
Registry
Update, October 4. No update, really. I called again. The woman I talked to said that once it goes to the group that does whatever they do to verify the title from the other state that can take 90 days. I've never received the August 31 letter, whatever it said. My guess is they are trying to match the forms I sent in with the forms sent in to Washington State to report the sale. Either that or trying to figure out a reasonable price to see if I really paid more than I'm claiming or else they are trying to verify that it is a camp trailer and eligible for PTI. I didn't call the other group as they never tell me anything when I call and its not an 800 number.

I asked what I do when the Temporary Operating Permit runs out and she said I can take it to the DMV and get it renewed, just tell them this story.

Bobbie
Old 10-18-2007, 05:33 PM   #25

Washington
Registry
Now it's October 18. I received a letter dated October 1, asking me for the original copy of the Vehicle Verification form. (This is the original form that I had the police officer in Washington fill out and sign- and which I sent to them in May!!!) So I call, and the office they tell me to call to does not have the file yet. (Not only does it take the State of California 17 days to get a letter from Sacramento to Fresno, but it takes more than that to get a file down the hall.) He was very helpful nonetheless and told me that they probably lost the form or wanted more information. (So why don't they say in the letter what they actually want?)

So now it looks like I need to go get a NEW Vehicle Verification form. Luckily here in California AAA can do that; I'll try to do that tomorrow. I send that form in, and then I guess everything starts all over??? Until they lose that form? We are at 4 1/2 months and counting. Everything you do with the DMV takes at least six weeks to process- if I send a letter with this form it takes six weeks for them to open it and do anything with the enclosed information.

The guy did also suggest that if I called back on Monday he might be able to figure out if the form is lost or just not what they want. I'm not sure what good that will do, though, since I'd still have to get a new one, send it in, and wait six weeks for them to open the envelope.

AARGH!!

Bobbie
Old 10-18-2007, 06:51 PM   #26

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Quote:
Now it's October 18. I received a letter dated October 1, asking me for the original copy of the Vehicle Verification form. (This is the original form that I had the police officer in Washington fill out and sign- and which I sent to them in May!!!) So I call, and the office they tell me to call to does not have the file yet. (Not only does it take the State of California 17 days to get a letter from Sacramento to Fresno, but it takes more than that to get a file down the hall.) He was very helpful nonetheless and told me that they probably lost the form or wanted more information. (So why don't they say in the letter what they actually want?)

So now it looks like I need to go get a NEW Vehicle Verification form. Luckily here in California AAA can do that; I'll try to do that tomorrow. I send that form in, and then I guess everything starts all over??? Until they lose that form? We are at 4 1/2 months and counting. Everything you do with the DMV takes at least six weeks to process- if I send a letter with this form it takes six weeks for them to open it and do anything with the enclosed information.

The guy did also suggest that if I called back on Monday he might be able to figure out if the form is lost or just not what they want. I'm not sure what good that will do, though, since I'd still have to get a new one, send it in, and wait six weeks for them to open the envelope.

AARGH!!

Bobbie
Just thought I'd let you know that we went to the DMV in Illinois in early May to register our trailer bought in Arkansas with a legal title. We were able to use the plates of the Burro we sold, so that is good. However, it is now Oct. 18 and we haven't heard anything back from the DMV yet about our title and registration. Such fun! I'm going to call them tomorrow and ask some questions.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:30 PM   #27

Washington
Registry
I finally got around to calling again. This time (after two phones and multiple tries at getting through) I got a nice woman again, who found the file, and figured out that the reason they want the new form is that I signed in the wrong place somewhere. (I'm going to check my copy as I don't believe that.) Anyway, she is sending ANOTHER temporary operating permit that should get me through December, so I can drag the trailer over to AAA to get verified for the second time. Let's see, June, July, August, Sept, Oct... only five months so far.

Next time (if there were to be a next time) I would pull the trailer home without a valid license and do all this in state.

Bobbie
Old 11-08-2007, 07:57 PM   #28

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Bobbie, having been a twenty year resident of the Great State of Confusion on the Left Coast, and dealing innumerable times with the daunting bureaucracy of CA DMV, I can feel your pain.

Not to rub it in, but in Iowa, there is no DMV per se. There is the Iowa Department of Transportation which fills the roles in California of DOT, DMV, and part of the CHP. The wonderful part is that in all 99 counties here, there is a County Treasurer's office. The Treasurer handles all of the licensing including drivers' licenses and all vehicle licenses. More often than not, you walk up to the counter, talk with a person you know on a first name basis and walk out with your license and registration. It's amazing! And stress-free.

Roger

Tags
license, registration, title