The continuing saga of registering the trailer... - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-08-2007, 08:13 PM   #29

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Stress-free sounds good right now!! The slowness of the state government mail-handling system is ridiculous- a letter dated Oct 1 reached me three weeks late! (Should have taken 1 day.) At least if I get a new Temporary Operating Permit it gets me through the Thanksgiving weekend agility trials. And it isn't like any CHP has yet stopped me to see why I am pulling a trailer with expired Washington plates.

The silver lining is that despite all these hassles I really am glad I bought the trailer and am looking forward to using it for Thanksgiving weekend. And I have until next May to get it licensed to go back to Washington- where they MIGHT question the expired plate.

Bobbie

Old 11-12-2007, 02:14 PM   #30

Washington
Registry
I got the new VIN verification today. I hope it is right! If not the next one comes from the DMV.

While I had the trailer out just for that, I thought, hmm, maybe I should go camp for the day at Walmart just to get some use out of hitching it up. I drove by there earlier this morning and a big motorhome was parked there so I guess they still allow it at the West Shaw Walmart in Fresno. But I decided to go home and park in the garage instead. I'm getting pretty good at backing into the garage, anyway!

Bobbie

Old 01-23-2008, 10:09 PM   #31

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Hi there, I bought my beautiful little 77 scamp from Sacremento..i live in Oregon!!

I went to DMV and told them it was a paperless title and showed them the paperwork i was given from the folks who sold it to me, they had gone to the DMV and they had given them this paper which was also a bill of sale and they had told them that is all i would need???.. at my DMV here in Eugene Oregon they said to come back with a title in hand..yikes..

i waited a week and today called DMV and she tried to find out information on a paperless electronic title..no one seems to know about these???? then i told her how small the trailer was and she said i don't need to register it or title it here in Oregon if it is under 1800 lbs..

That makes me nervous..then how does one show ownership or sell it later on??

A mystery to me..but i do hope this is true because i am getting ready to head south but do want to be on the road legally!!!!!

Does anyone have any input on this..
Old 01-23-2008, 10:14 PM   #32

Washington
Registry
I can't help, Dee, no idea.

I just thought I'd mention that I still have no registration...

I was going to put an emoticon on this but I couldn't find that head-banging one...

Maybe someone from Oregon will know the answer.

Bobbie
Old 01-23-2008, 10:18 PM   #33

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
all my trailers have been titled in California. It may not be required, but it *is* possible to get one.

I am not sure how you resolve this, you'll have to get with California DMV (Scarier than the IRS, let me tell ya)

I was told at each title transfer with mine that I could skip the title and just get a PTI (On the shorter ones) without one, but once the title is bypassed, it is difficult to get one again.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:13 AM   #34

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Hi there, I bought my beautiful little 77 scamp from Sacremento..i live in Oregon!!

I went to DMV and told them it was a paperless title and showed them the paperwork i was given from the folks who sold it to me, they had gone to the DMV and they had given them this paper which was also a bill of sale and they had told them that is all i would need???.. at my DMV here in Eugene Oregon they said to come back with a title in hand..yikes..

i waited a week and today called DMV and she tried to find out information on a paperless electronic title..no one seems to know about these???? then i told her how small the trailer was and she said i don't need to register it or title it here in Oregon if it is under 1800 lbs..

That makes me nervous..then how does one show ownership or sell it later on??

A mystery to me..but i do hope this is true because i am getting ready to head south but do want to be on the road legally!!!!!

Does anyone have any input on this..

[b]She was wrong. It's a travel trailer and must registered, Oregon Law. You might have call Salem DMV or gone on line to DMV site. The Travel Trailer stuff is a bit hard to find and understand. Here's the link if you want to be brave. FYI registration fee for your 13' travel trailer is $101.25 for 2 years. There's also a title fee, I don't remember that amount.

I have no idea what the fine would be if you got caught with out license and registration, but you can bet it's a lot more than the registration fee.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:18 AM   #35

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
This isn't the first time California's bureacracy has been a leader in screwing things up in the rest of the country!

Here's a link to CA DMV's guide on electronic (paperless) titles:

Electronic Leins and Titles

and transferring a title in CA:

CA Title Transfer

Both of these are really vague about how a paperless title transfer is handled in CA, but at least it will document that there is such a thing for your Oregon DMV.

Print this and make sure you have everything they require. Take your paperwork and these publications back to the Oregon DMV and try to re-title it. If the clerk doesn't know what to do, ask for a supervisor. Eventually you'll get to someone who will be able to figure out how to deal with California's innovation.

Good luck!

Roger
Old 01-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #36

Washington
Registry
All I can say is GOOD LUCK..

I just called the CA DMV again today. All the field office can tell me is that it says in the file that as of January 7 they are sending me another letter. (That usually takes 3-4 weeks.) They cannot tell me what is in the letter, so I have to wait and then put everything back into the queue again when I send whatever they want THIS time. The guy just agreed to send me yet another TOP.

Bobbie
Old 01-24-2008, 03:24 PM   #37

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
We finally received our Illinois registration for our UHaul in early January, almost 6 months after it was submitted in person at a DMV office. It's such fun waiting! At least the Illinois website would put up a simple notice stating "Working on applications submitted between XXXX and XXXX." They are still working on applications from September, 2007.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:19 PM   #38

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
This isn't the first time California's bureacracy has been a leader in screwing things up in the rest of the country!

Here's a link to CA DMV's guide on electronic (paperless) titles:

Electronic Leins and Titles

and transferring a title in CA:

CA Title Transfer

Both of these are really vague about how a paperless title transfer is handled in CA, but at least it will document that there is such a thing for your Oregon DMV.

Print this and make sure you have everything they require. Take your paperwork and these publications back to the Oregon DMV and try to re-title it. If the clerk doesn't know what to do, ask for a supervisor. Eventually you'll get to someone who will be able to figure out how to deal with California's innovation.

Good luck!

Roger
Thanks .. i will print these up and i will march right back in there tommorrow, i am actually going to try a different branch!!

thanks so much for the Ca. links ..i think that will help!! Dee
Old 01-30-2008, 07:58 PM   #39

Washington
Registry
Nope, no registration yet.

But the fourth temporary operating permit arrived just in time for a trip this weekend. I still don't have the latest letter from the DMV (dated Jan 6). I wonder if they have ever considered picking up a phone instead of sending letters that take a month to go out?

I suspect that they didn't like the latest VIN verification form (I kind of thought the AAA person screwed it up) so if that's the case, I'll take it in to the DMV next time.

Bobbie

Old 02-14-2008, 05:55 PM   #40

Washington
Registry
So today I took the trailer to the DMV for verification #3. They told me NOT to sign the form. (Sacramento sent the first one back because I signed it and the second one back because I did not sign it.)

The problem is in part that the title has 149 as the VIN. The VIN on the back of the trailer, on the plate, says S then a space then 0149.

S 0149

First guy, with the title in front of him, left off the S. Second person put it on. The DMV person put it on, wasn't sure how Sacramento would handle the discrepancy. The VIN came from Idaho in 1970- I'm sure nobody knows now why the S wasn't on the title.

So heaven only knows what will happen when I send this set of paperwork in. This is a case of the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. And nobody ever has the file with the paperwork when I call, and letters take a turnaround time of at least 8 week.

I may retire and move to Washington in 2010, and if it still isn't titled in California then, I'll just register it up in Washington!

Bobbie
Old 02-14-2008, 06:14 PM   #41

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
When you get done with all this, you should consider sending a copy of this thread to someone in authority in Calif, plus maybe a newspaper. Maybe it will get easier for someone else.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:40 PM   #42

Washington
Registry
Quote:
When you get done with all this, you should consider sending a copy of this thread to someone in authority in Calif, plus maybe a newspaper. Maybe it will get easier for someone else.
Good idea. Today I called again, to find out about the need for a signature or not. The nice woman I talked to said yes, now that there was a discrepancy in the VIN plate and the title, sign the form. Then she said, "I don't know why they've been giving you so much trouble as we can take up to three errors in the number."

I photographed the back of the trailer with the faded Campster logo and the VIN plate and Washington License plate and a closeup of the VIN plate, and will send that along with all three VIN verification forms back to the DMV.

Bobbie

Tags
license, registration, title