Thoughts on Canadian Dollar at par - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2007, 12:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Ventura
I was just wondering the effect of the Canadian Dollar will have now that it is at par with the American Dollar. Will folks be more reluctant to travel to Canada. How will it effect those interested in buying a Canadian FG ? Maybe others can add more questions. Bonnie
bonnie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 03:02 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler 1984
Bonnie
When you travel to Canada you will have no problems. We use the same currency as you do in Pt Hardy.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 04:37 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Despite the change, I'd bet that EhLanders are still filling up their tanks before crossing the border going north
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Ventura
Hello James Kent. In the trailer park where I live there has been a drop in Americans taking the ferry to Prince Rupert. Folks who live in Victoria or Nanaimo are just staying here on the island. With the Loonie at par it will have a negative effect on tourism from Americans where the dollar won't get them as far. Anyway, it's my attempt at finding out what others feel about the dollar at par.
bonnie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:47 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
At par? Check the news... the Loonie is now worth more than the U.S. dollar.

In the long run I don't think it means much. In the short run, the cost of cross-border trade is skewed, so I know some people are reconsidering trips from the U.S. up here, and some Canadians are looking at the current situation as an opportunity to visit the U.S. less expensively.

To put this all in perspective, we're only talking about a few percent difference from last year. I don't know how much of any effect is due to real cost, and how much is perception.

For more perspective, when I was a kid the Canadian dollar ran about US$1.03 for years. People traveled both ways across the border, and life was fine.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:25 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler 1984
Hi again Bonnie
Had to take that little dig. Just couldn't let it go by. Have relatives in both Victoria and Nanaimo. Have spent time there and in the islands. Yours is a special place and I can understand if a person doesn't want to leave Shangra-la. Also have family in Williamsburg Va and they still visit regularly. There may be a decrease for a while but I think the friendly attitude between countries will keep the movement of people alive. We all still want to see the greener pastures on the other side of the fence.
Jim
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:41 AM   #7

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
The weakening of the US$ is a trend that is likely to continue for some time. It means sticker shock when shopping for new trailers like Bigfoot. It means fuel prices here will continue to go up, unfortunately. Actually, the C$ was US$0.995 at the close Friday, if that helps. There was a slight retreat!
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:57 AM   #8

Good catch, Bob; Bonnie, I know you meant approximate parity. I heard the report of the peak value, not the Friday close. It does bring up a good point: the currencies are not pegged together, so they will always be floating up and down.

The change from C$1 = US$0.80 in the months leading up to a few weeks ago seems to have received less attention in the U.S. than the little bit more it took to reach approximate parity, which is why I think it's more about people's perceptions than actual cost. It's like pricing a product (such as gasoline) which can rise from $0.90 to $0.99 with little attention, then makes headline news going from $0.99 to $1.01... that's why stores use prices ending in 99 cents.

Bigfoot trailers are so expensive now that it's hard to see how a few percent more will matter. Do Ferrari sales drop when a particular model goes from $185,000 to $190,000? The price may be reasonable for the product, but it's certainly a premium price among products of roughly similar size.

And a final note... Bob's right, it's not just a comparison with the Canadian dollar. Look for more expensive imports from Europe as well, although that's not nearly so relevant to travel trailers or trailer camping!
Old 09-24-2007, 02:08 PM   #9

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
My experience with the Loonie ar par (or there abouts...)

I bought my Tekonsha Brake Controller while they were offering the $20 rebate. The bank gave me $19 dollars and 59 cents for it this afternoon!

Oh well, can't look a gift horse in the mouth! Next week the cheque would be worth even less.

Makes my yearing for a warm vacation around about February when it's -40 all that much more tempting...
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:38 PM   #10

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Bigfoot trailers are so expensive now that it's hard to see how a few percent more will matter.
Unfortunately, that's true... but Bigfoot prices have climbed significantly in the past couple of years. I don't have the exact price increases over the past couple of years... but if memory serves, they're actually on the order of 20% in the sticker price over the past two or three years. That's pretty steep by anyone's measure. Please, someone... if I'm drastically overstating the increases, and you have the actual pricing, please straighten me out.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:46 PM   #11

Quote:
... but if memory serves, they're actually on the order of 20% in the sticker price over the past two or three years.
That sounds plausible... it would reflect the large change (over the last two years would get the Canadian dollar from US$0.80 to US$0.99) that I was talking about, which produced no more media attention than the recent topping of the US$1.00 mark.

From the perspective of someone looking only at prices here (in Canada), Bigfoot was already expensive two years ago.

Here's the killer: RV manufacturers complain that their costs are high due to the high value of US content (appliances, etc) in their product... it's a valid issue, but have prices dropped here due to the rising Canadian dollar? Perhaps oil-related cost increases have balanced out the reduced import cost, so the CDN dollar price has been relatively stable, and US customers have seen the entire currency-driven increase? It's not a simple business...
Old 09-24-2007, 06:05 PM   #12

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
When beer is cheap in Canada then we will know a change has taken place.
Gary Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:30 PM   #13

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: When I was in my early twenties and Napoleon was a Cadet the beaver tail was about a $1.10 U.S. and the Americans still didn't want "Coloured Money"!!! Anyhoo is now a good time to order a new striped awning from Vintage Trailer Supply??? $360.00+ S/H for a rope n pole complete with poles and tote bag.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:36 PM   #14

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Hi again Bonnie
Had to take that little dig. Just couldn't let it go by. Have relatives in both Victoria and Nanaimo. Have spent time there and in the islands. Yours is a special place and I can understand if a person doesn't want to leave Shangra-la. Also have family in Williamsburg Va and they still visit regularly. There may be a decrease for a while but I think the friendly attitude between countries will keep the movement of people alive. We all still want to see the greener pastures on the other side of the fence.
Jim
Hi: I thought Niagara was a great wkend. Just the right amt. of greener pastimes
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote