Titles - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-03-2017, 07:45 AM   #15

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Floyd; regarding bicycles, I have used a vibrating type "electric pencil" to mark some kind of ID in a hidden spot, like on the bottom of the crank housing, to prove ownership of a bike
Fine IDea but it should be an ID that the police can trace back to you. Your drivers licence number is usually recommended. (ex. NC DL 1234567)

Old 12-03-2017, 10:42 AM   #16

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Floyd; regarding bicycles, I have used a vibrating type "electric pencil" to mark some kind of ID in a hidden spot, like on the bottom of the crank housing, to prove ownership of a bike
The bottom brackets on all of my bikes have factory serial numbers very much like a VIN.

Problem is... that's just the frame! Custom stuff like saddles,wheels, brakes, even crank arms and pedals. In most cases, if your bike is stolen you usually have a VERY short time for any hope of retrieval.
Bikers with Brooks saddles often remove them when parking and some quick release wheels now come with keyed release mechanisms.
Bikes can range in value from $10 to $15000 dollars so the loss can range from "no big deal" to "lighting your hair on fire"!
Some bikes are stolen to use or resale, some are stolen for parts.

My bikes are vintage and of moderate and subjective value,with mods.
Some would be hard to replace and work to rebuild, so I would just want to have some proof of ownership if it is retrieved.

I do bikes for charity and so my local police department calls me every year or so with an airport hanger full of unclaimed bikes. Most are junk so 50 makes 30 bikes, but once in a while there is a good frame or some good components.

I had my son's bike stolen once, we drove around until we found a dumpster half full of parts and his bike at an apartment nearby. I took it back... dodging only derogatory epithets from the thief.

Old 12-03-2017, 12:23 PM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
Ontario, Canada does not issue titles. When a friend bought a used Scamp 16, the original owner & new owners went to the Canadian equivalent of the DMV with the registration & a bill of sale, and signed over the trailer. After crossing the border into NY (and filling out the CBP Form 7501 import form) we had no problem registering it in NY. All they wanted to see was the import form & bill of sale (and, of course, $ for the sales tax).
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:33 PM   #18

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Floyd if your scwhinn phation would fall of your rack I would take it!! just kidding around do you have one?

bob
Old 12-03-2017, 03:34 PM   #19

Missouri
floyd have you ever been to Amsterdam? I never saw so many bikes in my life they have parking garages dedictated to bikes.

bob
Old 12-03-2017, 03:35 PM   #20

Missouri
love that money!!!

bob
Old 12-03-2017, 04:43 PM   #21

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
Floyd if your scwhinn phation would fall of your rack I would take it!! just kidding around do you have one?

bob
That one was stolen and taken to the basement of the Alamo!
Old 12-03-2017, 05:43 PM   #22

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
floyd have you ever been to Amsterdam? I never saw so many bikes in my life they have parking garages dedictated to bikes.

bob
Amsterdam!!??... Is that because they can't keep a driver's license?

A lot of my charity bikes are bought by guys with DUIs and suspended driver's licenses! So much so that I have a category called "DUI Bikes".
Sometimes I even get them again when they are abandoned after they get their licenses back.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:50 AM   #23

Missouri
yes I woke up after seeing so many guys old ones young ones on bikes. I just cannot think having your life fall this far. I suppose too many duis and felonies will do it every time.

our former superintandant of schools son is in this boat only his license taken away for 10 years!
Old 12-04-2017, 07:51 AM   #24

Missouri
Floyd we have tented Holland everyone there rides a big it is amazing. they have real tall bikes and set their seats as high as they can get them. its strange because they have no hills.

oh and do not under any circumstances walk on a bike path you will get it!!

bob
Old 12-04-2017, 05:30 PM   #25

Name: Mike
Trailer: Uhaul
Tennessee
ALL the state DMV's and most local county clerks have "THE BIG BOOK" that outlines all the registration guidelines for each state in the union as it pertains to the registration of vehicles, trailer's in each state as the registration of these type of conveyance is still the domain of each state and not the Federal government.

As such they ALL can find out the registration guidelines for our trailers when that trailer comes from out of state if they do not know and want to find out. Your lazy county clerk or registration agent may not want to look HOWEVER they all can find out the information and provide the necessary requirements for registration of your new to you trailer in your state of residence.

Say you won't buy a vehicle from a state without a title? Well you won't be buying a 1973 or older vehicle from the State of New York, a 1975 or older vehicle from Alabama or a 15 year old vehicle from Georgia. They do not issue title's on those vehicles. All you get is a license plate and tag receipt. Got a privately owned utility trailer in Tennessee this is NOT used commercially? You do not need to title or tag the trailer. Got and RV trailer in Tennessee? You have to title, register and tag it! Got a boat in Tennessee? You register the boat for the keel number however there are no titles issued for boats in Tennessee. Many older vintage trailers do not have titles as titles were not necessary what back when they were new in a lot of states.

Point being that ALL the states DMV and county clerks can find out what the registration requirements were for the vehicle or trailer in the previous owner's state of registration IF they want to. Getting them to do it might be a whole nother discussion!

You as a buyer can also find out this same information on every state's DMV webpage if you want to take the time to do so. That way you too can be properly prepared if the trailer you are purchasing does not have a title, registration or from another state different from your state of residence.

All it takes is a little effort on both the buyer's and seller's part to know what to do.

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
title

« Temporary Plate | - »