Titles - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2017, 08:16 AM   #1

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
Titles

Hi, in my state (NH) trailers under 3,001 lbs. do not require a title, so when I bought mine in 2010 I never transferred it. Now I'm selling my camper and, while I don't want to scare anyone off by telling them there is no title, I feel that I should be up front about it so that we know what documents may be needed by them in their state to register it. I now wish I had just done the title transfer and paid the $25 at the time I bought the camper. It's too late to do that now, as it needed to be done within 30 days of the transfer. Oh well, just wanted to share that in case it helps anyone else out.
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:34 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Simple question... Was the title dated when it was signed open?
At any rate, go to the DMV and ask them for help.I'll bet they'll take your money!
You may have to sign an affidavit saying that you are the rightful owner, then have the title issued to your buyer or yourself.
In IllAnnoy it is legal to simply surrender an open title to the buyer.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:43 AM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Good advice, here I could not put a camper on the road at all if it did not have a title (and tag), so even if you gave one to me for free, I would not take it. For me, no title = no sale.

But there are often legal ways to title an older trailer but it is sure to be a pain.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:10 AM   #4

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
At any rate, go to the DMV and ask them for help.I'll bet they'll take your money!
You may have to sign an affidavit saying that you are the rightful owner, then have the title issued to your buyer or yourself.
Here in NH, the state will not title a trailer with a gross weight under 3001 lbs. I know because I asked and offered to pay when I got my 79 Boler.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:58 AM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
Here in NH, the state will not title a trailer with a gross weight under 3001 lbs. I know because I asked and offered to pay when I got my 79 Boler.
If I were to buy it under those circumstances, I would want a Bill of Sale, stating that the seller is the rightful owner and releases all liens.

And I would want the aforementioned title and a copy of the registration if available too.

With these documents I would get an original title issued in my state, perhaps with some bureaucratic run around, but I would get it done.

I guess if you sold it to someone in NH it would be no hassle with no title requirement. You should give them the title with it and a Bill of Sale.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:20 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Some states require transfer documents to be notarized. In some cases you would also fill out a statement of facts sheet too, explaining the situation with the trailer your selling.

States are all different and it can get really weird if you have a trailer that was declared totaled. Here in California you can usually get it taken care of but finding the right way to proceed can get to be a real hassle. getting a clerk at the dmv that knows how or who knows the right numbers to call can be very trying.

My Scamp took 3 months to get clean title since the last owner never titled it in his name and my boat took over a year because of 3 different sales between last titled owner and my purchase. I had to contact 3 different buyers and get releases before DMV would clear it.

I was lucky everyone was still alive and were able to be found. Each one started the process at the DMV but never finished it due to the difficulties involved. So they were all on record as incomplete owners. Now here in California you have to specifically ask for a paper copy of title when you purchase or you wont get one.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:08 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
title

Floyd I have always found if a person wont or cant do something for you go a step up. I never have a complaint from the person I was dealing with I think they were glad to get rid of the problem.

I have also found being friendly will get you a long way!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:54 PM   #8

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita 16ft.
California
It might be good to have some kind of written explanation on official stationary or a printed brochure that explains the paperless title thing to an uninformed buyer. Especially if you are looking for buyers out of state.

I know this may be apples and oranges but I recently transferred my newly purchased Casita here in California and was given the option for a paperless title at a savings of $20 in transfer fees. This was totally new to me. If I ever try to sell out of state, I may be in the same boat as you.
Nor Cal Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:22 PM   #9

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
Jackpot!

So I called New Hampshire DMV and spoke with a very nice and super helpful person who told me that, indeed, they do not title trailers that weigh less than 3,001 lbs. I sighed, said thank you, and started to hang up, but then she asked if I was trying to sell it? I said yes, and she told me that there is an official Exempt Letter on State of NH letterhead that I can include with my bill of sale that the purchaser's state will accept, and she said that she has never heard of a state not accepting it. She told me how to find the letter on their website and I now have a copy. The whole inquiry took less than 5 minutes including a brief wait on the phone. Very very helpful!
Now I don't need to worry about this as much. It's really interesting how differently the states handle these things. I imagine part of the reason for the differences is that in some states your tax is assessed with the registration, so they require you to have the item registered where you live.
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:24 PM   #10

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
That's great! I will have to remember that if(highly unlikely) I were ever to sell my Boler.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:31 PM   #11
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I would think the full faith and credit clause of the Constitution would apply. Own your car in one state you own your car in all states. Of course it might take a lawyer to convince the local DMV. .

Years ago we considered moving to Virginia. Like NH, Vermont does not title small trailers. As I recall Virginia would accept a valid Vermont registration.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 02:31 PM   #12

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Maine does not title trailers under 3000 lbs. or those made before 1995.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:02 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
Maine does not title trailers under 3000 lbs. or those made before 1995.
I have about a dozen bicycles which are valuable enough to me to have proof of ownership.
I keep a book in which I register the year, make and serial number of each one.

If you live in a state which does not register your trailer I would advise that you do the same plus take pictures of it, maybe with you in the picture.
Keep them someplace safe as evidence of ownership, and to assist in recovery in the event of theft.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:34 AM   #14

Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Floyd; regarding bicycles, I have used a vibrating type "electric pencil" to mark some kind of ID in a hidden spot, like on the bottom of the crank housing, to prove ownership of a bike
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:45 AM   #15

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Floyd; regarding bicycles, I have used a vibrating type "electric pencil" to mark some kind of ID in a hidden spot, like on the bottom of the crank housing, to prove ownership of a bike
Fine IDea but it should be an ID that the police can trace back to you. Your drivers licence number is usually recommended. (ex. NC DL 1234567)
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:42 AM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
The bottom brackets on all of my bikes have factory serial numbers very much like a VIN.

Problem is... that's just the frame! Custom stuff like saddles,wheels, brakes, even crank arms and pedals. In most cases, if your bike is stolen you usually have a VERY short time for any hope of retrieval.
Bikers with Brooks saddles often remove them when parking and some quick release wheels now come with keyed release mechanisms.
Bikes can range in value from $10 to $15000 dollars so the loss can range from "no big deal" to "lighting your hair on fire"!
Some bikes are stolen to use or resale, some are stolen for parts.

My bikes are vintage and of moderate and subjective value,with mods.
Some would be hard to replace and work to rebuild, so I would just want to have some proof of ownership if it is retrieved.

I do bikes for charity and so my local police department calls me every year or so with an airport hanger full of unclaimed bikes. Most are junk so 50 makes 30 bikes, but once in a while there is a good frame or some good components.

I had my son's bike stolen once, we drove around until we found a dumpster half full of parts and his bike at an apartment nearby. I took it back... dodging only derogatory epithets from the thief.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:23 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Ontario, Canada does not issue titles. When a friend bought a used Scamp 16, the original owner & new owners went to the Canadian equivalent of the DMV with the registration & a bill of sale, and signed over the trailer. After crossing the border into NY (and filling out the CBP Form 7501 import form) we had no problem registering it in NY. All they wanted to see was the import form & bill of sale (and, of course, $ for the sales tax).
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:33 PM   #18

Missouri
Floyd if your scwhinn phation would fall of your rack I would take it!! just kidding around do you have one?

bob
Old 12-03-2017, 03:34 PM   #19

Missouri
floyd have you ever been to Amsterdam? I never saw so many bikes in my life they have parking garages dedictated to bikes.

bob
Old 12-03-2017, 03:35 PM   #20

Missouri
love that money!!!

bob

Tags
title